Barisone Criminal Case Update

You can’t?
I think mistakes would initiate a question “who did this work?”, at which point its learned dude isn’t licensed.

Do we know there was a permit for the work?

6 Likes

There has been no claim of permits existing by any of the parties either here or in filed papers.

5 Likes

Useful info. I assume your contractor was licensed. So in your case the town would have known that the work was done by a licensed contractor, since he/she would have put their contractor # on the permit application.

If only licensed contractors can apply for permits (not sure that’s true), then RG not being licensed suggests that possibly there were no permits for the renovations. Now if the homeowner can apply for a permit, then conceivably MB had obtained the permit.

If there was no permit, the town wouldn’t know about it, and there would be no periodic inspections, correct?

Thanks.

No wonder the neighbors were on the alert that week.

2 Likes

Depends on the state?

“The state of New York does not require a license for general contracting. However, if you are building homes for one, two or three families, you will need to get a new building permit. Asbestos abatement also requires a license. General construction contractors do not require a license in Pennsylvania.”

General Contractor License Requirements by State

2 Likes

Construction permits can be applied for by owners or licensed contractors/builders, but the permitted work can only be done by a licensed and registered contractor/builder and not “Bob The Handyman”, who has no paper trail and won’t be taxed accordingly. Whomever gave RG the go-ahead to do “50K or more” of work was in violation of NJ law and is subject to punishment, per the NJ state code.

8 Likes

Why would there be a line of vehicles? 2, 3, 4, 10? Are you saying numerous county/township officials and fire officials descended on the property? Is this more exaggeration for effect?

Normally, if a building inspector comes out, it’s a lone man/woman. Same with someone from the fire department to inspect something. At the most 2 vehicles. If a whole line of vehicles from the township/county went to the farm, they must not have anything else to do.

Stopped in to read if there were any updates on the case and seems like just more imaginations running wild from the same posse. If it wasn’t for a man shooting the victim point blank in the chest twice, and a miracle she survived, these thousands of posts would be laughable.

Glad that RC was busted for her role in this and turned State’s evidence to testify against MB. She should lose her license to practice as well since she was so stupid to not only illegally transport a gun into NJ, but also then turned over her gun to a man who clearly, by his attorney’s account, was on the verge of a psychotic break. Had it not been for her doing that, this tragedy probably wouldn’t have happened. As a licensed mental health professional what did she think would happen? Hope her State licensing board takes a look at her responsibility in this attempted murder.

5 Likes

Because the inhabitants had a well known, well documented history of animosity?
Just a guess.

Uh, again just guessing, but if the issues found pertained to both departments, why not have them both out to confer with one another while on site looking at the problem, together, and perhaps so they could each, officially, explain to inhabitants, owners, etc what the issues are. The building inspector can not speak for FD, and vice versa.

Well, yes, it does seem to be quite a sleepy burb. Not sure why that matters

2 Likes

NJ requires a contractor’s license for just about everything.

5 Likes

I wish NY did.

2 Likes

It’s not just the state that can make this difficult. Even the city can complicate things. For instance, I know lots of house flippers that will not buy projects in X city because the city makes it a total pain. They will instead buy a project in Y city, which borders X, because the process is easier.

In X city above, in order to perform work as a contractor, you must be licensed in X city (involving a test and an annual $$) or the permit will be denied. If the home owner applies for the permit, they will come out to inspect and blast you every way from Sunday if they can to ensure everything is to code. What it results in is sneaky work being done without permits and without inspections.

4 Likes

I live in the middle of absolutely no where, in the very, very rural South. I can bury my husband on the property, anywhere I want, if I choose to do so. No prior authorization needed. Rumor has it you do not even need the body embalmed. That is how backwards things are down here.

But, you cannot get a certificate of occupancy here without certain inspections that absolutely must be in place, or you are not going to be residing in said house.

We gut renovated the existing house on the farm we bought, and went through the entire process, much like building from the ground up.

Every municipality is different, but it does not take much for building inspectors to find items that are not completed to their requirements. It can be something as simple as the wrong connections made in wiring, plumbing that is not installed correctly, smoke detectors being in the wrong place, etc.

Our county has specific requirements that must be met, or no CO. Banks will not release liens or enter into mortgages without the CO being in place.

If I recall correctly, the biggest inspection was electrical, which was completed last and the electrical work had to be completed by a contractor licensed in our particular county. That being said, the county seemed to not care much about other things like septic.

I lived up North for most of my life. Zoning up there is an entirely different animal. One property I owned required 3 different permits and variances in order for the barn to be built- one because the barn had more square feet than the house, a second because the barn was taller than the house, and a third because the barn sat closer to the road than the house. Every one of those permits and variances cost money.

If there is ongoing issues with a particular property, I can see building inspectors, as well as anyone associated with the inspection process and approvals, showing up en masse. Especially if you have a contractor or property owner who is being especially difficult. Also would not shock me if they included law enforcement as well.

11 Likes

LOL, np
If you hit ‘reply’ and then click the little speech bubble on the left in the tool bar you quote the whole thing.

1 Like

well, this was an old house, you KNOW stuff was wrong with it!

1 Like

@BrendaJane

Nothing like that on my phone app

1 Like

I am on a phone but just on the website not using an app. The quote speech bubble is there for me.

2 Likes

Haha I figured it out, thank you!!

6 Likes

This is the best solution suggested yet, and along the idea I had, only better and entirely doable.

6 Likes

The only way to deal with people like this is to 100% remove them from your space. It may not be “right” that you should have to leave…but sometimes what is necessary isn’t the same as right.

6 Likes

It’s seemed like you suggested he remove himself, too, which I think would have really forced the issue. If he had packed up himself and all his horses and the house and everything g on the property and moved the horses to new farms, leaving her with nothing, she might have stayed and used the farm, but there would probably be ways to get around yhat. He could claim he had no where to live, as the house and barn were uninhabitable now, so they all had to leave. And took the horses too. I’d be tempted to drop her horses off at one of the farms that agreed to have her, lock up the farm in NJ (and in fla) and dearly with the legals later,.

2 Likes