Barisone KROL this Friday, 5/26

Agreed. I get it that those companies had bills to pay and stockholders to please. But it was still frustrating, because we had been able to afford that extra coverage for years but then came ACA with its various mandates that forced companies to raise their rates. A $500 to $1200 jump in premiums in two years was NOT affordable.

4 Likes

What people miss is that their cheaper plans weren’t comparable to what the ACA mandated and they got instead.
So you had a cheaper plan, that didn’t cover many of the things you now get and which really should be part if any decent, comprehensive plan.

(I know you know this, just adding my thoughts to yours).

10 Likes

Can we keep the politics out please?

20 Likes

I"m old and that’s a WAY older phrase than I am. Just sayin’.

3 Likes

I think it’s the New Jersey state motto.

12 Likes

I like to call it Obamacare to give credit where credit is due.

5 Likes

Highlighted the last part of your quote because that is why our premiums skyrocketed right after ACA went into effect. Even though our plan was through a private insurer and not through ACA, the demographics of our risk pool increased significantly because our insurer changed their plans to meet various ACA requirements. For instance, ACA required that all plans that offer dependent child coverage extend the coverage up to age 26. There were also new requirements for mental health coverage. Both of those requirements increased risk pools, and private insurers raised their rates to try to mitigate their increased financial risk. Our previous plan was eliminated by the carrier and replaced by various new plans with much higher premiums because the risk demographics had expanded so much.

It’s all good now because we are elderly (ha-ha) and on Medicare (with a good supplemental plan) but we had a few worrisome years before we were eligible, knowing that my employer sponsored plan would not be adequate to cover a catastrophic illness or injury.

Also, I used the term “Obamacare” because CH originally used it. I am well aware the correct term is ACA (although “Obamacare” has become pretty embedded in our common vernacular).

As for the tomato farmer analogy - if the parking lot owner raises his fees, the farmer will need to raise his prices to offset his increased costs. Even though it is the farmer’s decision to raise prices, it was because his costs of doing business at that venue increased. Just like when the price of hay goes up, barn owners often increase their board rates to cover those increased costs. Or when your farrier and equine vet increase their fees or add a fuel surcharge to cover their increased fuel costs.

6 Likes

A couple things to add as someone who works for a major insurance company:

1. You would simply be floored at the amount that a hospital or doctor charges for services and then that price is negotiated by the contract they have with the insurance company and then you pay your percentage. This is significant for people without insurance.

2. Surprise billing is a HUGE advantage for people. Many times an out of network provider would accept your insurance company’s payment as payment in full. Other times they don’t care. This is common with ambulance companies which do not tend to be in network with insurance companies. Now thanks to surprise billing those providers can’t balance bill.

3. I have dealt with many “medicare advantage” plans that are down right predatory. I have spoken with quite a few elderly members who casually spoke with them on the phone and then all of a sudden our insurance was moved off primary status and the member had a less than adequate plan.

I even had a member who had THREE advantage plans, despite her son having control of everything due to her dementia. That was a hot mess to clear up as the plans were very aggressive about staying.

1. Always call your insurance company before paying any medical bills if anything looks suspect. Let’s just say that many providers use 3rd party billing and overseas billing companies aren’t exactly the best. They bill the wrong member, the wrong services, for the wrong doctor ALL THE TIME because their motivation is to get payment. Any payment. And if you overpay? Good luck getting it back.
14 Likes

Thanks @McGurk for that explanation. Nicely done IMO.

Also, riddle me this: I see my BF getting on his motorcycle without a helmet. I get angry because he could get seriously hurt. So I take a pot-shot at him.
Who does that???

32 Likes

Yikes!

And yes to your other points!

Yes, please. We have the current events forum for the politics and a whole other string of round pen candidates to deal with. Let’s not drag it over here.

20 Likes

And why am I not surprised that CH hasn’t replied to the quiz I posted upthread? He/she can’t answer without incriminating themself - he/she either believes LK or not.

Also interesting that KarenK schooled you on what was NOT said at the hearing - because she was present - but you still seem to want to believe Miss Lollypop, who was NOT at the hearing.

A little quiz to recap:

1. LK insinuated that MB’s shrink team at Greystone said MB believes that George Clooney is going to play him in a movie. Do you believe her?
    A. Yes (Bolded because you have indicated this is your answer.)
    B. No
  2. LK insinuated that Bilinkas and Battiste were having an affair. Do you believe her?
    A. Yes
    B. No
  3. LK insinuated that Barisone fed a banned substance to a teammate’s horse at the 2008 Olympics in hopes that horse and rider would be eliminated and he could ride instead. Do you believe her?
    A. Yes
    B. No

Go ahead and answer Questions 2 and 3. We’re waiting

8 Likes

She and RG used to target practice in their backyard which backed up to woods. Fun in the country! Yep.

7 Likes

Ah, so chic! So elegant! Do you know if RG had a gun as well?

6 Likes

Um, I’ll guess that Stone was heading to withdrawal country because of her refusal to attend the deposition, and she was scrambling to find (or possibly had found) another firm lined up to take over from him. But then the settlement came.

15 Likes

Hhhmmm, that is a very interesting thought indeed!

4 Likes

And then brags about it on FB? Truly bizarre.

16 Likes

This is one of the ways she tells stories, the events sort of fit, but the details and explanations are reimagined make her look good. But they are so fluid, she outs herself because her previous confabulations contradict her current puffery.

30 Likes

Great line!

10 Likes

It probably works better with bigger, more random audiences who are less likely to pay attention and remember many details.

As soon as anyone actually takes a closer look and checks the facts, the whopping lies are pretty obvious.

21 Likes