Barisone KROL this Friday, 5/26

Someone already quoted the relevant passage from SS policy on this issue.

I was at the last KROL hearing
were you there @CurrentlyHorseless?..because that must have been mentioned in the same sentence as George Clooney
you know
the one no one there heard.

39 Likes

Although I’ll bet George Clooney could find the movie role to be an interesting project. :thinking:

I believe he’s played a few real life people over the years.

6 Likes

Ya gotta love it, huh! Auntie Karma is amazing!!

3 Likes

As a crime junkie, and certainly not a legal professional, I have rarely heard of a more badly bungled investigation than the one where Lauren was shot. What a farce. I honestly can’t imagine a shooting with a victim, where no gunshot residue was tested for, anywhere.,

31 Likes

Imagine sitting on the witness bench and having it discussed how your report didn’t reflect your notes.
I just can’t.

15 Likes

And several of the cops were promoted shortly after!!! Imagine that!

5 Likes

Nope. I had to testify to 9-1-1 transcripts multiple times. I can’t imagine if my testimony differed from the transcripts.

5 Likes

I just waded into the YouTube comments for the 48 Hours episode. :open_mouth: Having perused maybe 35-40 of them, what struck me was how often I saw some variation of, “She didn’t deserve to be shot but
” and harsher sentiments. If ever a place needed Olympic-caliber pearl clutching, it’s there, not this civil forum.

25 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree. Between Youtube and Facebook, she has thousands of people essentially saying she escalated the situation rather than leaving.

22 Likes

And thousands asking “Who does that?”.

13 Likes

That they want everyone to believe it was dropped b/c (paraphrasing) ‘the court suggested we drop it b/c it had been ongoing for a long time’ was the most embarrassingly cringe part of that whole turn tail and run operation. In the scheme of things, it had not been ongoing very long at all. It was suspended pending the outcome of the criminal trial and we know who recently that was resolved.

Also, the courts don’t suggest dismissing suits simply b/c of time. If that were the normal course of business think how vastly less crowded court calendars would be. Once a year or two passed the court would just tell the litigants to drop their cases and, hey, presto, loads of time freed up on those busy calendars.

And what eejits with a compelling, winnable case would go, “Okey dokey, judge! It’s been awhile so we’ll just drop it. No problem at all. Thanks for letting us spend the time and money we’ve already spent!”

That was such a stupid excuse for them running away from that case. 100% cringe. I mean, honestly, work up some more compelling lies next time, please and thank you. :roll_eyes:

52 Likes

She couldnt be so stupid that she said that. I mean, she says some really dumb things, but that’s just head shakingly ignorant.

And dumb things out of left field, as though everyone knows that. Kind of the way CH just makes up bizzare things and says them as though they are real. Very similar.

14 Likes

Lauren Kanarek is not liked at all. The level of interest and dislike is phenomenal.

5 Likes

IIRC, they tested either her shirt or her hoodie. And - again IIRC - found none. The explanation was that the rain that started falling as they were processing the scene washed away the GSR.

But the Keystone Kops never thought to test anyone else for GSR, nor to check the gun for fingerprints. Or else they did think of it but decided for some mysterious reason to NOT do the checks.

15 Likes

I’m betting that at the case management conference on Friday, March 31, something along these lines occurred.

Sceusi: Have plans been finalized for Ms. Kanarek’s deposition? Time, place, court reporter, AV crew, etc.?

Stone: Uh, no, Your Honor. We have tried several times to schedule it but my client hasn’t agreed to all the terms yet. I think
she is worried about the deposition.

Sceusi: Hmmm. Well, have the other discovery items asked for by the defense and approved by the court been provided to Mr. Deininger?

Stone: No, Your Honor. My client is arguing that those items either don’t exist or are irrelevant.

Sceusi: I see. Look, Mr. Stone, your client has used every trick in the book to stall and avoid discovery over the past few years. The court has granted her much leeway, but she has tried our patience long enough. She can no longer avoid discovery and particularly deposition without penalty. Since it appears that she has no intention of sitting for deposition, nor will she turn over the other discovery items currently under order, the court may be forced to consider a Contempt of Court order at the least. However, let me remind you that this case is now assigned to Judge Weaver - and as you know, he has a no-nonsense opinion of frivolous lawsuits and has already warned counsels that no further delays will be granted. It is therefore quite likely that he will rule for outright dismissal or a summary judgement which, based on the evidence gathered so far, could very well be in favor of Mr. Barisone. You tell your client that the choice is hers - but she may not want to roll the dice on which way the court goes in this matter. Enough is enough."

Stone’s motion for dismissal was filed the following Monday, April 3.

[Edited per @ekat’s suggestion. :grinning: ]

42 Likes

I know I’ve written this many times, but this right here is perhaps for me one of the biggest red flags re: some sort of relationship between the Ks and the police or prosecutor or something.

It is indisputable that the Ks are the type of people who demand the best, the most attention, the highest level of service, etc. In fact, that insistence on getting it all and getting it now is why this situation exists.

They and their supporters have been practically obsequious in their praise of the police. Yet, here we are missing super basic info: GSR for all three; finger prints on the weapon; a search of all vehicles on site; securing the scene; collecting recordings and recording devices at the time of investigation.*

How is it that people infamous for creating huge noisy fusses any time they feel they aren’t been served and treated as VIPs, given the bestest most tippy top service (be it the name on the door trainer or the blue chip law firm) are so uncharacteristically delighted with an investigation that missed such Police Procedure 101 evidence gathering? And the resulting NG, NG, NGRI, NGRI verdicts.

Suddenly they are not just satisfied by gushing about lack luster police work on their own case?

Something doesn’t pass the sniff test here.

*unless some of this evidence actually does exists and was not disclosed for some reason which is an even scarier thought. Given how basic and utterly routine the collection of this stuff is, though, it absolutely makes one wonder.

39 Likes

Replace that with the name of the judge that was newly assigned to the case and had already issued a handwritten note about further delays being unlikely, and you are probably fairly close to accurate.

20 Likes

Absolutely agree with your whole post, but yes, this.

The courts don’t just say, hey, your case has been in active litigation for about a year now, can you please drop it to clear up my calendar?

Threaten to dismiss/enter summary judgment because of lack of prosecution by the plaintiff, yes. Too old a case, no.

25 Likes

This is an absolute horrifying thought to ponder.

23 Likes