Barisone KROL this Friday, 5/26

Really? I find myself judgemental about that! :rofl:

10 Likes

NY is also silly enough to mispronounce Houston.

It’s a long u sound not an ow sound.

6 Likes

They pronounce Versailles, Indiana,
( Vir sail z ). I was yelled at for pronouncing it the French way.

4 Likes

Howston street pronunciation also irks me!

4 Likes

Lima, Ohio: Lime-a versus Lima, Peru: Leem-a

1 Like

I refuse to call Buena Vista, CO Bewna Vista. I just can’t. And La Junta, with the J pronounced like juice. It took me a while to figure out why people looked at me strangely when I pronounced them according to their Spanish heritage. But then I heard a TV weather forecaster speaking their names, and cringed. It wasn’t an oddity–everyone but me was saying it that way.

Rebecca

4 Likes

[quote=“Knights_Mom, post:4682, topic:785728, full:true”]

That’s how they pronounce it in Missouri too :woozy_face:

2 Likes

There is a “Beewna” Vista in VA, too. They’ve pronounced it that way since the civil war so they can tell who the outsiders are. And Staunton, VA is Stan-tun, not Stawn-ton.

2 Likes

Meh. I have been to Dildo, Newfoundland. Pretty universal pronounciation
 DILL - dough and never DIAL- doo. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes

Versailles, Paris, Lima, Mexico, Florida, Louisiana, New London, Philadelphia, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Memphis all are less than 100 miles of where I sit right now.

And you do get tired of ice cream
trust me

4 Likes

Not to mention Wapakoneta, one of my favorite place names ever.

1 Like

There is a Beaufort, NC and a Beaufort, SC, both on the coast. The locals of each town get fighting mad if their town name is mispronounced. Beaufort, NC is Bowfort and SC is Bufort.

2 Likes

I LOVE your alter pic!

3 Likes

Thanks!

Ahem

Paso Robles, CA

Oneonta, NY.

Oneonta, AL

3 Likes

Mantua, Italy

Mantua, OH (MAN-a-way)

1 Like

I had to look that one up
wrong states LOL

Oh brother. I’m from CT and have been slapped silly calling that river the Tems river. Then I lived on the Menunketesuck river, there too. Alot of Indian names in CT.

There’s a town Buchanan in West Virginia, and the radio people all call it “Buh-cannon”. I mean, cam ohn!

2 Likes

Yep! When I moved to Denver it was like nails on a chalkboard to watch Kathy Sabine (also a horse owner! Pronounced Say-bin, not Sabeen) report on the weather in Byoona Vista.Then I googled it. :woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

I have FINALLY caught up.

There is Texas in Queensland Australia. I also live near Ipswich which I have seen in a few posts.

4 Likes