Barisone KROL this Friday, 5/26

Ha! I paused right there in reading this sentence and thought how in the world I could own ice cream stands and not weigh 300 pounds. Then I finished the sentence and realized you don’t own them. Probably a good thing? :smile:

2 Likes

Was it Twinkies that went off the market a few years ago and then made a huge comeback after a brief pause? If it wasn’t Twinkies, it was something similar.

It was one of those foods that fall under the heading of things I used to have occasionally as a kid, and then had not thought of for probably a couple of decades until they hit the news when they disappeared. I’m not saying it was all just a huge marketing ploy, but… Lol.

3 Likes

Speaking of odd names.

Does anyone happen to know how to pronounce the name of this town?

1 Like

Ips-uh-LAN-tee

17 Likes

Don’t forget Chili, NY. Pronounced Chie-lie (long i’s, accent on first syllable)

3 Likes

Albany NY (ALL-bunee, accent on first syllable)
Albany GA (All-BENNIE, accent on second syllable)

Also, FWIW, we once drove through Cairo, GA on the way to visit my father’s uncle in SW Ga. I always pronounced it as KY-row, but Dad said the locals pronounce it as CARE-oh.

2 Likes

Buchanan, VA is pronounced buck-annon. I’ve never gotten used to Byoo-nah Vista, but the Staunton pronunciation doesn’t grate on me as much as those two.

4 Likes

LO posted an update in the GFM this morning.

7 Likes

31 Likes

Oh Lord, don’t get me started on VA name pronunciations!! Gloucester is Gloster??!! Fries is Freeze. Botetourt is Bat-a-tort.

5 Likes

Frustrating update! It should not be this hard!

28 Likes

Bot-eh-tot. No R in that pronunciation.

Virginia, especially the southern areas, just has to be contrary when it comes to common name pronunciations. At least Vienna is pronounced correctly but that’s NOVA, not the southern portion of the state.

Troutville though, sounds exactly like it’s spelled.

1 Like

When I was younger, it seemed to take me forever to learn to pronounce the country Palestine correctly. Then the train wreck in Palestine, OH messed me up again.

3 Likes

That GFM update is so discouraging. It doesn’t seem to matter how well a patient is progressing. They’re stuck in there, languishing, until the staff gets around to slogging through the prerequisite meetings and paperwork. I can’t imagine having a loved one at the mercy of this broken system.

45 Likes

That update makes me so angry. This is an outrage. Who else can he complain to about this? The ACLU? Would politicians even care?

27 Likes

Now that’s strange to me because I lived in Denver for over a decade in the 90s and La Junta was always pronounced like the Spanish version—at least when it was spoken on the news or by someone in person in the Denver/Boulder area. Maybe it was only the actual locals using a hard J?

1 Like

Sounds to me intense legal action against Greystone is required but that takes even more $$. It’s useless for any of us to contact NJ political leaders since we don’t live in NJ and don’t vote but this situation needs to be investigated! What a waste of taxpayers’ money!

28 Likes

I thought they had already been sued and lost and it didn’t change anything?

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’re right, that’s the settlement LO refers to Greystone ignoring. So someone could spend a ton of money (again) to get a court to order Greystone to fix things (again) and Greystone will continue to ignore it (again).

@eggbutt, do you know another way to pronounce Gloucester? Much like Worcester, both Mass. I assume the various “Woosters” around the country are named for the same English city, or possibly for the Massachusetts city, with spelling adjusted to match the sound. (Well, not matching the final -tah in the Massachusetts pronunciation.)

I live just down river from Berlin and Milan, both pronounced with heavy emphasis on the first syllable. I believe that adjustment has been made to other Berlins around the country.

6 Likes

Wistah.

11 Likes