Barisone KROL this Friday, 5/26

Gloucester is pronounced properly how you say it isn’t. :wink:

2 Likes

That link reminds me of this:

Bangor is hours away and it’s still nails on chalkboard to hear it pronounced the way so many people do. Of course I can say the same thing about Concord — everyone not from New Hampshire or Massachusetts seems to want it to be Concorde.

ETA: I just re-watched the entirety of this video for the first time since I was originally directed to it, and see it also addresses Calais in passing.

7 Likes

Not @eggbutt , but I had an Oxford educated English professor who pronounced it “GLOW-ster” - he would kind of swallow the W. I don’t know if the ones in the U.S. are pronounced the same way. And Worcester was pronounced “WOSE-ter.” Again, he did not really pronounce the “W” the same way that Americans do.

4 Likes

Thought it was pro ounced glau-stir?

3 Likes

Galax, VA is not pronounced like the word “galaxy”- it is pronounced GAY-lax.

4 Likes

I lived in Bangor, PA when I met my husband, and when I told him where I lived, he said “Bang gore, as in Maine?” My response was “No Bang her! Like bang her? I hardly know her!”

7 Likes

Lima is Lime-ah in NY too

4 Likes

I can beat it, car chase on the news, reporter refers to the truck as a Dew-ally. 🤦

7 Likes

Anyone know how to pronounce Havre de Grace? As in Delaware.

Is there a Havre de Grace in Delaware?

The Havre de Grace In Maryland is pronounced Have-a de Grace.

As in let’s have-a de Grace so we can have-a de dinner!

7 Likes

Boy we’ve really gone on quite the tangent.

Tangent as in a differing path, new direction, an altering of course and not like a man who has been in the sun a long time getting color.

:rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Look! An overly dramatic SquireL It’s staging a scene.

8 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

That certainly works! As mentioned, Dr. Avery swallowed the "W’ when he pronounced names like that - it sometimes sounded like “glowster” and sometimes sounded like “glaustir.”

2 Likes

And to get back on track - that is a seriously depressing update on the GFM. Apparently the staff has no interest in helping patients find their way back to normal so they can be released. It seems as though their attitudes are, “Well, we can deal with these folks but if we let them be released, God knows what we will get to fill the vacancies.” Either that or they want to keep patients like MB so they can pad their resumes by writing research papers and books about them. :angry:

29 Likes

Do you still live in Denver? I’m in Fort Collins. I like it a lot better than the Parker area, where I lived for 25 years.

Rebecca

I heard the hard J from co-workers (I mostly worked in the Denver Tech Center). I worked for very large companies, not Mom and Pop type places. The workforce was supposed to be well educated.

Rebecca

1 Like

Oh, my.

A side note on pronunciation–my husband, daughter and I are all voracious readers. So we may say words that we’ve never heard spoken. It gets to be pretty amusing. A usual response among us is “oh, is that like <>?”

But we do know how to say dually.

Rebecca

4 Likes

I am very upset by her update. Not just for MB’s sake, but for all the people stuck in the system.

Rebecca

23 Likes

I’m not sure filling the vacancy is that big of a deal. Remember how long it took them to have a bed for MB?i It was more than a month, wasn’t it? Maybe I’m confusing that with getting from jail to Ann Kline. :woman_shrugging:t2:

The staff works for the state. That is where their loyalty lies. I’d bet there are dozen of binders spelling out exactly what to do and what they can’t do written by non-psychologist.

8 Likes