Barisone KROL this Friday, 5/26

Eeee! That’s a black mark indeed!

26 Likes

To be overturned twice in the same case is something. To see language like that is something else.

And Michael Barisone’s appeal of the initial Krol commitment (Judge Taylor) is working its way, slowly, to be heard by that same Appellate court.

Very, very interesting.

62 Likes

Wow. So Judge Taylor just simply does not like to follow the rules and does his own thing, twice now with the same lawyer. That sure does not make him look good at all.

35 Likes

When her conviction was thrown out due to the incorrect jury instructions, she was offered a plea deal but could have turned it down and been retried.

If the prosecutor offered a plea deal of plead guilty to xxx and spend 20 years in prison, how is Taylor determining the sentence?

I don’t really feel compelled to answer your question, especially since the answer is in the document I linked.

43 Likes

He had two pleas, NG by reason of self defense and NGRI.

Since the jury gave him what he pled (NGRI), I don’t think he can appeal the fact that the jury did not go with NG self defense.

(Also, small point, there is no evidence that he acted in self defense.)

Thanks for linking the document.

She agreed to plead guilty to first degree manslaughter with a sentence recommendation of 20 years without parole if the prosecutor dropped the gun charges, but part of the plea deal was that she could argue tor a sentence of less than 20 years.

Taylor went exactly with the recommended sentence in the plea deal (20 years with no parole), rather than something less.

And the appellate court ruled that he erred. And vacated the sentence and remanded to a different judge. Because he was wrong, and based his decision in part “on factual findings that were unsupported by competent, credible evidence in the record.”

And now a different judge gets to sentence her because he was wrong.

55 Likes

This is significant in my eyes.

35 Likes

I’m thinking Taylor didn’t always behave this way on the bench or he wouldn’t be where he is. I’m thinking this is indicative of a change in his judicial temperament which may point to the start of age related cognitive difficulties. He may be at the start of a decline. Which explains his copious note taking.

(Anyone ever notice the first sign is often a person getting ornery, then forgetting things and being angry?)

30 Likes

My family is living this right now, with my grandmother. It really is the first sign. And it continues. It’s almost a defense mechanism, maybe?

13 Likes

Once again, patently false. The judge did not permit them to enter the Self Defense plea.

29 Likes

(Also, small point, there is no evidence that he didn’t.)

24 Likes

Oh yes. Several family members including my father. I think they know something isn’t right, they sense their mental acuity may be declining, and they lash out at those around them. They aren’t angry with THEM per se, but rather angry at the universe - if that makes sense.

11 Likes

I’m sorry. It’s incredibly hard on family especially once the abuse really starts.

9 Likes

Perfect sense.

I’ve been in many hearings and judges aren’t usually like that. You may come across an ornery one from time to time but Taylor was over the top.

Let’s see if he makes it to 70 before he has to retire.

18 Likes

Yes, I’ve lived it. And the physical strength when they argue with you. It is devasting.

4 Likes

Darn, doesn’t that wording really fit what Judge Taylor did to Michael at his first Krol hearing?

34 Likes

Based on what I have read, why yes, it sure does.

Wouldn’t it be interesting if Michael’s initial commitment got sent back to a different judge as well?

39 Likes

Yup you can bet your Sweet Grass on it.

19 Likes