Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

@ Knights Mom You don’t think he needs any mental help? That just being around friends is all he needs?

6 Likes

All abused people need mental help.

13 Likes

Ditto. That was unwise.

“Get her to take it seriously” or something similar might have been a better choice. But it’s easy enough for me to be an armchair lawyer in hindsight from a long way off.

3 Likes

Deininger is also the lawyer who filed Michael’s civil suits. Interesting that he is co-counsel in the civil trial. Legal experts: is that sort of partnership between lawyers of different specialities common? Also, it seems that Deininger is only handling the defense witnesses - he does no cross examination of prosecution witnesses. And it seems that many of these witnesses that he has been questioning could also be sources for the civil suit.

7 Likes

If I heard correctly, the BI said they had to vacate the house because the fire alarms were no longer connected (oh, the irony) and from the barn because it was not up to code for use as a residence

5 Likes

New true crime friends … if you have all night (and plenty of popcorn and wine) there were some verrrrry interesting appearances by someone very close to this case in the immediate aftermath. Poor a glass or 3 and settle in for a wild ride …

From the beginning:

4 Likes

Who has said he was so stressed out about finances, other than LK/RG/JK?

The witnesses who were actually familiar with his business answered the questions about how much the monthly costs were, but I believe they said he had always managed to work it out in the past, and they expected him to continue to do so.

That description sounds to me like just about every horse business operation I’ve ever seen.

18 Likes

In particular since Heymer testified that he disabled the weapon and I believe also handcuffed MB, it is very logical that any GSR could have been sourced from his handling of the gun as much as it could have been from being on MB’s hands prior. There is no way to know.

23 Likes

As I mentioned before, the witness testifying that she was leaving MBs barn due to fearing LK and RG gives IMHO a basis to file civilly against LK et al for loss of income, libel and slander.

Ironically.

18 Likes

The cop who testified today said no one was tested for GSR not even MB.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

8 Likes

I stand corrected.

Imagine having a witness that is so unsavory, to put it kindly, that you have to object to 90% of the testimony about them.

Feel better?

7 Likes

You think somebody could get through those threads in 10 hours?? Maybe if it was Evelyn Wood coming back from the dead.

(For the 90% of the people who have no idea what that meant, the Evelyn Wood Speed Reading School used to be a thing many years ago. Lol.)

15 Likes

Like from handling Doritos!

7 Likes

I thought they said this morning that MB was the only one at the scene who was swabbed for GSR.

I even took notes today! Unlike those poor jurors.

4 Likes

Did MB actually test positive for GSR? I was not clear on that.

Sierra Mist- a couple of us have mentioned this before but folks found not guilty by insanity are generally institutionalized (and sometimes for longer than their prison sentence would have been). I think a lot of people have the impression that they are just found not guilty and go on their way, but that’s not the case at all.

And in this case I suspect he’d be in for a while. There was something about the trial date and the length of time he’d been in detention, that if the state has delayed anymore he’d have been entitled to release, but that he waived that. That snippet, and his general demeanor in court… I’m not sure he’d want to just be free anyway. I think he’s afraid of himself.

9 Likes

That seems as plausible to me as many other theories, and far more plausible than the notion she shot herself. If she confronted him with a gun when he arrived at the house and they struggled for it, he may well have gotten it from her and shot her. Or the gun may have gone off in a struggle. I would expect anyone who physically struggled with the shooter in the immediate aftermath of the shooting would have GSR. However the police only tested MB, so we have no idea whether LK/RG did as well, and how much compared to MB.

Or, he could have grabbed the gun from the safe, brought it to the house and shot them. But if that happened, then why would LK be describing the pink & black gun as missing in the days leading up to the shooting?

All along I’ve felt terribly sorry for MB, but had little doubt he was the shooter and saw no justification for shooting someone if your life wasn’t in immediate physical danger, no matter how terrible a person your target might be, and no matter how miserable they have been making your life. Even in America you don’t just get to shoot someone because they are a jerk. Now I have doubts that’s how events played out. The jury may have the same questions.

Was it ever discussed in the testimony so far that a gun was allegedly missing, at least according to LK?

9 Likes

Can we put the GSR to rest please? CPL FELLINI TESTIFIED TODAY THAT ALTHOUGH HE HAD A WARRANT, HE DID NOT TEST FOR GSR. THAT MEANS NO GSR WAS FOUND ON MICHAEL BARISONE!

That seems to be the cherry on top of a crime scene/forensics process as what is known in military circles as FUBAR. Look it up!

25 Likes

@Cat_Tap (tagging you because there’s no way I’m scrolling back hundreds of posts to try to find yours to quote :rofl:):

The paramedics that were charged and convicted were right here in Hamilton, so I remember the case as well. The conviction was for “failing to provide the necessaries of life”.

1 Like

Whoa. I totally missed that from todays testimony. Thank you for pointing it out and clarifying.

I completely agree. Crime scene processing = FUBAR

12 Likes