Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

My point was, he can still be found not guilty. Like not guilty at all, if the self defense claim flies.

As was decided when Barney Ward sued USEF, its a voluntary member organization and they can ban someone for whatever they like. But in terms of the law, if he is found not guilty (not not guilty by reason of mental defect) then he is an innocent man.

11 Likes

@La-LaPopRider and @Inigo-montoya got a small gift tonight. HaleyBot will not be testifying because Bilinkas has shortened his witness list. I assume GirlJoey won’t be there either. So, will IM still be called?

This judge would prevent most of their testimony anyway even though MB called them both for advice.

2 Likes

I am happy to agree with whatever terminology the doctor used to describe the location of the wounds; I missed his testimony. I’ll look up the definitions of shoulder location vs chest location from an anatomy terminology standpoint later. Ultimately it doesn’t matter; she was critically wounded, suffered major blood loss, flatlined, and a whole bunch of other stuff that makes her very lucky to be alive.

7 Likes

She had something listed in her profile here on COTH, but in the new format, I don’t think that section got ported over.

I had to laugh at the “we couldn’t afford it” part of RG’s testimony. Okay - she couldn’t afford to pay rent on top of $5000 monthly training bill for two horses, but she could afford to pay board and rehab for her retired mare, board and shoes on her TB gelding back in NC, and board and training in Europe - as well as shipping and CEM quarantine, which is NOT cheap - for her newest horse, AND pay for more expensive board in Lox during the season AND rent an RV or whatever to stay there. The inconsistency - It boggles the mind.

33 Likes

I have seen bloody clothes and a bloody shirt is definitely not that shade of red. When dried, blood is quite dark. Even diluted, the material is stiff and shows yellowing and other staining. It does not just look like a shirt that has holes in it.

That said I’ve also seen fresh gunshot wounds and in some cases, it’s just a trickle. Even for wounds to the chest. Heads and hands tend to bleed a lot but even people who have life threatening internal trauma - the external is not the bloodbath you’d expect sometimes.

I just hesitate to draw conclusions from that.

17 Likes

Speaking of bleeding hands, did we hear any more about LK’s reported hand injury?

5 Likes

I don’t think the question was “where does the money in your account that your father uses come from?”, was it? I’m pretty sure she was asked where her father gets the money to pay her bills. Where doesn’t anyone draw money from to pay bills? A bank.

Nope, nor Rob’s.

2 Likes

Andrew F Branca picked this trial up on his podcast The Law of Self Defense.

7 Likes

I disagree. He was trying to learn what she does for a living. She kept saying her livihood had been ruined.

7 Likes

The doctor made it pretty clear it was a very severe injury.

3 Likes

I’m sure it was. Obviously it was. However when people think of “shot in the chest” they think of center chest or in the heart, and this was not, that’s all.

7 Likes

The defense was trying to find out where the money came from and she finally said her dad. Then he asked where her dad’s money came from and she said the bank. He didn’t ask what her dad did for a living.

2 Likes

I believe you - I must have missed that. I remember that he was asking her about her bill paying process and she said her father pays the bills, and he asked where does he (her father) get the money, and she said the bank, and clearly looked like she knew it was a ridiculous answer but she really didn’t know what he wanted out of her.

3 Likes

How would Rob know the gun was empty?

8 Likes

No, she said she paid with “my money but my dad writes the checks”.

6 Likes

Honestly this is kind of a weird point to me. If I have pains in that part of my body I describe it to doctors as chest pain. I would consider her wounds to be chest wounds, and don’t really have any issues with how she describes them.

5 Likes

It’s not something I have an issue with, someone just asked as they said the wounds were not what they were picturing.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of error being made(here and practically everywhere) with this notion of “what people think of.” Along with the conjecture that anyone would know how someone else should act, react, how much they should bleed, what they should be capable of after they’ve been shot etc.

a huge portion of the causality of these events is persons A & B thinking they can predict, control or judge how the opposite person behaves or what their reasons are. A reasonable person wouldn’t do or think this, a reasonable person shouldn’t do that, I should have this, they shouldn’t have that.

That’s part of the foundation of this whole situation. Judgments/beliefs of how everyone else should think or feel, how they should act/react, how they should describe, what’s reasonable, accurate, owed, etc. perpetuating that belief and behavior system on COTH is dubious at best. And very likely contributes to repeating scenarios.

Otherwise the situation would never of happened in the first place.

8 Likes

Here’s an article that clears up where the chest ends and the shoulder begins, from an anatomy standpoint:

From the article:

“The sternoclavicular joint is located where the clavicle meets the sternum at the top of the chest.”

Her entry wounds are clearly below the sternoclavicular joint, which makes them chest wounds. Many times “what people think” is not accurate even if it is accepted among the general public.

4 Likes