Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

Just finished the RG stuff. He contradicted LK about going back onto the porch to swap out phones. He also made a point that MB was “on our property.” I must have missed the part where LK and/or RG bought the property.

31 Likes

I would guess there will be at least one medical expert testifying about MB’s mental condition and ability or inability to remember.

It sounded like the defense lawyer was planning on multiple expert witnesses, so maybe there will be different ones to discuss different aspects.

1 Like

He can testify to the days weeks months before the shooting for sure.

2 Likes

Someone mentioned there is an expert to testify to his state of mind so likely along those lines and there are a lot of witnesses ahead

I think he became mentally not there the day of the shooting. He should remember events leading up to it.

1 Like

Hopefully the psych eval will detect TBI. Mine was confirmed through a psychiatrist specializing in neurological disorders. The state’s psych evaluation should be able to confirm if TBI is a possibility or direct him to someone that can verify if suspicious. Hopefully they will be that thorough. Unfortunately not all TBIs show up on diagnostics.

2 Likes

Maybe I missed it so someone please tell me what RG said about his “horrifically broken” hand.

Based on online SM comments from total strangers, this isn’t getting the reception The Kanarek Group expected. It’s likely the same opinions will be made after 48 Hours airs. JK doesn’t have the clout and LK doesn’t have the money to stop that show from airing. Of course it all could change next week.

One more thing, did the state call their expert psychologist or will that be Monday morning?

9 Likes

No, they couldn’t.

17 Likes

I thought Bilinkas came up with 7 minutes and was scolded for it at one point as testifying to a theory with no evidence as doesn’t hold up with the evidence of the 911 calls.

1 Like

There were other contradictions as well but knowing people involved with the case are reading the comments I chose not to assist them in committing an impropriety.

6 Likes

No, he misspoke when quoting LK. It is verified that LK stated she beat him for 7 minutes.

7 Likes

No way should MB get on the stand. I truly think we would see a breakdown happen before our eyes. Let’s get through this trial…

10 Likes

There’s usually pretrial preparation of the witness by the attorney for the side for which they are testifying. Prosecutors prepare their witnesses and defense attorneys prepare theirs.

Generally, a witness for whichever side is pretty familiar with what the attorney is going to ask, so it isn’t particularly remarkable that a witness would have an easier time finding the information on documents when “their” attorney asks expected questions, and less so when the opposing attorney asks questions.

That’s not to say that a person’s willingness to cooperate doesn’t have an effect on the way that they answer questions, just that it is pretty normal for a witness to more smoothly answer the questions for which they have already been prepared.

(And the preparation isn’t a bad or questionable thing. It’s normal and accepted for each attorney to prep the witness they call, though of course the attorney may not coach the witness as to what to say.)

8 Likes

She did not stick to the yes or no thing very much. She had a tendency to elaborate quite a bit, and the judge seemed perfectly willing to let her.

I do think she specifically said she did not ask or know why MB wanted the gun, but I have not reviewed the tape to double check.

4 Likes

At one point blinkis sd someting to the effect of “in view of recent events, I have decided that witnesses xy&z will no longer be needed.” Does anyone know what events took place up to that point That he would want to exclude those witnesses?

1 Like

I checked and you are right. It’s civil cases where that can occur.

1 Like

I don’t believe the question of RG‘s physical condition ever came up today. The only mention I remember of it is when he fumbled around yesterday answering the question about whether he himself was treated in the hospital.

The state did not call anyone who was a psychologist. Maybe that’s going to happen on Monday.

1 Like

Where is it verified? She had no way of knowing how long she beat him. Do you think she was looking at her watch?

3 Likes

‘she stated’ she beat him that long.

8 Likes

Sure. But theirs is the only story the jury gets to hear since MB can’t tell his side. I think I remember the judge telling Bilinkas that he can’t just make up magical stories out of thin air - if he’s going to present a different side of what happened it has to start with some kind of evidence. And so far there isn’t any.

6 Likes