Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

You and I saw the same one. I remember the part about the hammer.

3 Likes

Yes, I thought she was pretty far off base.

I will add that there were some pretty glaring errors in the TV coverage, especially the first couple of days. I know one of them referenced MB buying a gun, which obviously is not what happened. And another person kept mispronouncing his name as Brisoni, or something like that.

Come on, people. Try a little harder before they actually turn the cameras on.

I don’t expect them to know or understand everything about the horse related parts, but they could at least get the basic facts correct.

7 Likes

I wondered if some actually watched the trial before making their comments.

5 Likes

Same.

2 Likes

That was on Court TV. The lawyer to pay attention to who is on Court TV for analysis often, is Kirk Nurmi. His analysis is always spot on. He was in the box under the lady who was so off base.

Kirk Nurmi was Jody Arias’ attorney. He tried to quit the case because Arias was driving him crazy, but the county would not let him. He wrote 2 books about the trial called “Trapped With Miss Arias”.

9 Likes

They commented about his shirt, right?

Ok, this is not your fault at all.

But when I saw the little icon with the initial I in that color circle was replying when you were getting ready to post, I was really, really, really thinking it was going to be Inigo Montoya. But then it was not. Lol.

7 Likes

So what does Kirk say?

1 Like

If the footage had supported certain claims it would have been available I bet.
Therefore I presume the camera caught something completely nefarious and daddy dearest made sure it went missing, aka ‘didn’t record’

20 Likes

Where I rode years ago, the parents (mostly moms) would bring their laptops and work in the lounge and watch their kids ride. Sometimes the owner would let them use her office to make work or private phone calls.
If any of these moms would have ever found out that they were being recorded, they would have gone ballistic. They were used to dealing with whiny children and unruly ponies.
I would not want to make them mad.

7 Likes

“Borrowing The Bilinkas” might be a short-cut term for all of this current and future obfuscation!

5 Likes

Looking back on it, I still can’t believe he was so gracious about loaning out his glasses. That was remarkable.

Even if it was just a matter of practicality to keep things moving, I was still amazed by that.

10 Likes

Im curious if there are any mental health faciities that have a horse centered program.

1 Like

Except when using an affirmative defense, they’ve admitted that MB did shoot her. Now they have to either prove self defense or insanity. That burden is on Bilinkas, not the DA in this case. Unless there is something wildly different in NJ in which the defendant is not admitting to the actions when using an affirmative defense. I’m sure @soloudinhere would know.

6 Likes

Yes, I agree, and to my mind he maintains his composure despite the disrespect that he appears to face from the witness/es and the seemingly over the top calls from the judge. I don’t see him (Bilinkas) as unskilled or bumbling - quite the reverse as I’m sure the jury will have noticed the subtle gesture in contrast to the frustrating & time wasting attitude of RG. I’m merely an observer but so taken aback that a witness in a court of law can, does or is allowed to behave that way.

12 Likes

I know it’s against the rules of this forum to “name names”, so I wouldn’t like to hazard a guess as to the identity of the suddenly elusive, but previously all knowing, InigoMontoya, but I’d be extremely surprised if he posted here again.

12 Likes

This is what I found….

“ When arguing an affirmative defense, a defendant must meet the “preponderance of the evidence” burden of proof — a much lower standard. Subsequently, the burden of proof shifts back to the prosecution who must disprove the affirmative defense raised beyond a reasonable doubt.

• Preponderance of the evidence — Although this burden of proof is most often applicable in civil cases, it is also used in criminal cases when a defendant asserts an affirmative defense. Generally, the preponderance of the evidence standard is satisfied when the defendant demonstrates their affirmative defense is more likely than not to be true.“
7 Likes

As long as the words reasonable doubt are included in there somewhere, I have to think that’s an opening you could drive a horse trailer through in this case.

Maybe not a tractor trailer, but at least a two horse trailer.

12 Likes

Right… we haven’t gotten to that yet. Next week should be interesting. We’ll see what evidence Bilinkas is able to get in to meet that bar, and how the prosecution goes about trying to disprove it.

1 Like

Well, you might have been lurking for 2 1/2 years, but you sure made your first post a real doozy! I hadn’t put that in my list of possibilities. I need to think more creatively.

Welcome, by the way. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes