Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

I’ll have to go track it down. I believe she’s done at least one here, maybe on the SS thread, and one on FB. Something about fraud at the highest levels of the USDF…

4 Likes

And yet his civil case was dismissed… I just can’t imagine how helpless he must have felt in this situation, LEO doesn’t take things seriously, things are escalating, …

Did someone yesterday say that MB had shared with LK about his childhood abuse?

5 Likes

CoTH is acting flakey again, at least for me.

4 Likes

Good! Thanks!

Yes, its clearly not up to this task.

3 Likes

When it did that for me on Friday, the site went down shortly afterwards. Fingers crossed that does not happen again.

Me too!

1 Like

I did…it was an assumption on my part since she mentioned his past mental health issues.

2 Likes

Judge seems adamant that RG’s behavior isn’t relevant. I’d disagree …

17 Likes

It would depend on how familiar they were with guns. Firing pins are not usually hard to remove, but it would have to occur to you to even think about removing them to make it inoperable. Most people would simply hide the gun or remove the magazine. Or get a trigger lock or safety cable.

I do remember thinking at the time that it was odd that more than one handgun did not have a firing pin when they were examined by the state.

6 Likes

Even in gun-culture US, you cannot shoot someone for simply trespassing on your property.

2 Likes

What state is that?

I lived in a country in the past form which a young teen went abroad to the US and went with his friends from the high school for a halloween party. He went to the wrong house and was shot on the man’s porch. The man was not convicted. So, you are 100% wrong. That is the case I always think of in shooting situations.

12 Likes

So, you believe that he had been driven to such a distressed state including being suicidal?

Well, several people who knew him very well were extremely worried about it and felt his demeanor had changed so much they were frightened. As to what drove him there? I have some assumptions about that, as do most people here, that LK and RG were doing a lot of things to push him there, but the “why” is not really the issue of the trial, unfortunately. Ultimately the only thing that will matter is if they can show he did not know right from wrong at the time of the shooting.

Either way, my thought is that if his friends and other associates were that alarmed, someone who is a mental health professional handing over a weapon is extremely strange to me.

8 Likes

That kind of think is not just because of trespass, it is because the shooter believed he was being threatened by a home invader. Even if mistaken, that matters.

5 Likes

Kirby Kanarek is Ysleta’s daughter (state beauty queen) and Lauren’s mother.

2 Likes

Oooh. This is an interesting way of getting testimony in regarding the threat LK and RH posed. Question this witness about her concerns for her daughter and young horse. And their safety.

And… she has testified that she was going to move her horses and get her daughter out of the situation. Because it seemed that unsafe to this highly professional woman.

Oh… and she is contradicting LKs testimony about there being a bench in the locker area.

18 Likes

I didn’t quite catch the whole interchange with the working student when they came back from break. What was the discussion about someone’s romantic relationship?

It gets bogged down at times, esp. if multiple people are trying to post at the same time. The ingate gets jammed. :smiley:

6 Likes

@Angela_Freda,

Not a lawyer, don’t play one on tv, haven’t stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, but I don’t understand why the civil case was even filed; other than as part of some larger legal strategy. It had no merit on its face. The civil case was based on alleged discrimination. That only works if you’re a member of a protected class and the discrimination was BECAUSE of or related to the protected class. So if a black man, white woman, gay person, etc. had received the same kind of negligent treatment MB had and could reasonably claim the treatment was related to their membership in the protected class, the suit could have gone ahead. But as a straight white male, he can’t claim the insufficient police response was due to discrimination.

Here’s where a actual, real lawyer needs to weigh in: I don’t believe you can sue police departments or individual police officers for malpractice/malfeasance/etc. I believe that’s where the controversial doctrine of qualified immunity comes in. The basic concept of QI is that it shields police officers from a lawsuit if an officer’s actions do not violate a “clearly established” constitutional right under federal law.

To me, the civil case was a weird Hail Mary play; pretty much anyone would know that it couldn’t go forward.

Again, I think it was part of a larger strategy that is not clear to me.

4 Likes