Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

The hay guy was the security guy who testified that he saw MB. I don’t think McGrain was also a security guy but rather was sitting on a rock having a smoke and saw her pop out of a bush all in black with a veil and barefoot.

9 Likes

Eee. I wasn’t really looking for anyone’s real name. I was just curious about whether somebody’s parents actually stuck them with the name you mentioned.

Maybe you could edit your post and take the name out? I would not want to give anyone an excuse to lock the thread at this point. Thanks.

4 Likes

Thank you, that is very helpful. I am now understanding how a shot high up on her chest could have transited through her body to injure the very top of a lower lobe and exit through the back. It does seem though that it would have had to transit somewhat diagonally (downward), but I can see how that could happen - and it is not inconsistent with what the surgeon described.

2 Likes

I may have missed it, did MB have security cameras in different locations on the property?

If I recall correctly, he was planning to put up cameras in the barn, and LK was already plotting to disable them before they even went up, according to her testimony on the witness stand.

If MB had cameras anywhere else on the property, I don’t recall hearing about them so far.

5 Likes

Random sidebar - I’ve shared some of this incredible trial with my trainer and her response was “I’m so glad I can be picky now” when referring to who boards with her now that she has a full barn. We have a good crew at the moment with no drama or craziness, thank goodness.

Also, years ago she was grooming for a UL rider at a show and MB bought her lunch.

15 Likes

Apologies, done. I don’t believe she’s ever appeared on COTH so didn’t think it’d be doxing, but can see that it might be thought of as such.

5 Likes

Thanks. Better safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Trial resumes Wed same time
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxTV8cYqmu-MlY6eomTOJh0GK9S_5uWrs1

Remember that because many people take the (“lousy” - I am trying to keep it clean!) plea deal because they can’t afford to sit in jail for weeks, months or even years before their case can be heard.

4 Likes

That has been a pretty eye-opening aspect of this whole thing. Granted, there was a pandemic involved. But on the other hand, MB had the resources to hire an attorney and pay for experts, etc., etc. How much slower would it be for somebody without those resources?

8 Likes

Not necessarily. If several people were grappling for a gun, GSR could very well be on everyone’s hand(s). In this case, police tested only MB’s hands. For all they knew, it could have also been on LK’s hands as well as on RG’s hands. They screwed up by not testing them - it could have strengthened the state’s case by reinforcing LK’s story that MB just raised up the gun and shot.

6 Likes

Last night some silly person—being silly—speculated that maybe the hidden recorders were cassette tapes—LOL! Because they were apparently not detected by the de-bug man.

I think those would be a little too bulky to hide and besides where would you get one, E-bay, momma’s attic? I wonder if they were some high tech thingys that could be disabled from one’s phone and when LK/RG heard that the de-bug guy was coming they did just that?

It’s so creepy. For some reason I’m kind of obsessed about what they were and where they were………

2 Likes

I believe a couple people (including @eggbutt) have correct us all that this impression is incorrect.

One of the officers testified that not even MB’s hands were swabbed for GSR.

I.e., NO ONE’S HANDS WERE SWABBED FOR GSR.

Staggering, I know, but that’s what the officer said on the stand (as reported above).

15 Likes

Didn’t one of the cops on the first day of testimony say MB’s hands were swabbed?

I am so confused and I have been following along for years—the poor jury with no notes :exploding_head:.

Can a defendant be acquitted on the grounds that the jury is just confused?

6 Likes

I just now went back and looked at the tape again from yesterday, and I think it’s a little ambiguous.

At first the cop said that he got a warrant to swab MB’s hands or directed for MB’s hands to be swabbed or something like that. But then a few seconds later, when the defense attorney asked if anyone’s hands were swabbed, he said no.

So I’m not quite sure if that was supposed to mean anyone else’s hands at the scene? It seemed just a little bit vague to me. I would think if MB’s hands were not actually swabbed, the defense attorney would have really specifically pounded that point home at that moment.

When I took notes yesterday, I certainly wrote down that MB’s hands were swabbed, based on the cop’s initial response.

You can check for yourself if you like and see what you think. It’s around the 27:00 mark on this video:

Regardless, it still seems absolutely ludicrous that in a crime scene where the first cop arrived to find multiple people who had struggled over a gun, they did not test everybody there for gunshot residue.

Especially since at one point someone testified that there were 40 to 50 law-enforcement types on the scene. Not one of those 50 people thought to say, Hey, maybe we should swab the hands of the other guy who was struggling for the gun?

I could sort of imagine not checking LK in the moment since there was the added issue of rushing her to the hospital. (In an ambulance. Not a helicopter.)

But RG? Come on.

7 Likes

I’ll bet if that were the case, MB would have been home a week ago! Lol.

6 Likes

I just listened to an older (early 2000s) This American Life podcast episode where they basically said company’s that “debug” are scams. There is no special equipment that can test for listening devices

6 Likes

Oof. If so, that would stink. Especially if they charged MB $5,000 for the nonexistent service.

6 Likes

They could have that sort of relationship, sure. Or Deininger used to work with Bilinkas and branched out, but they still collaborate.

3 Likes