Barisone Trial This Month

Gotcha. When you get caught wrong say itā€™s a joke. Sarcasm. Woohoo!!

So much for it being police and military!!

14 Likes

I think many here do not understand what has to be proven by the defense in order to be successful with an insanity plea.

Iā€™m really not so sure that diminished capacity, delusions, and amnesia are by themselves proof that someone did not know that it is wrong to shoot someone. Plenty of people suffer from those afflictions and donā€™t shoot people, so there has to be another step after proving that those things were true to show that MB didnā€™t know it was wrong to shoot LK.

Pictures of someoneā€™s head and/or partial unconsciousness cannot prove that the person did not know it is wrong to shoot someone. Hiding in bushes does not prove that someone did not know it is wrong to shoot another person. Blunt force trauma does not prove that someone did not know it is wrong to shoot someone.

Many people have suffered all of the above and as a result did not think it is ok to shoot someone. If this was all it took to prove insanity, everyone accused of a violent crime could claim insanity due to fear and they all would be acquitted. My question still stands: how does a lawyer prove that his client did not know that it was wrong to shoot someone? Maybe we will find out the answer, or maybe MB will go to jail for a very long time. Or maybe something in between.

8 Likes

The ear witness will have heard the gun shots and will have heard whether the gunshots were preceded by conversation or by a physical struggle.

Iā€™m not trying to convert you.

4 Likes

Silly. I thought you would be happy I read your post and thought it was funny. Please see my second post right under this one. Itā€™s the military wiki one.

Sure. I believe you. Really.

6 Likes

WHERE DID YOU HEAR THIS??? There hasnā€™t been one word about what this ear witness heard. Whatā€™s your source???

9 Likes

Big if. And not likely. Sheā€™s already claimed results involving the bullets that are physical impossibility.

9 Likes

Still working hard to ignore the obvious.

4 Likes

I still want to know where @CurrentlyHorseless heard what the ear witness heard!

3 Likes

Oh gosh dang it. Here I was thinking of a DMing you to ask when you served, your branch of service, MOS, and where you were stationed. I love the Captain America comment.

You really, really are beginning to sound exactly like a long gone poster!

8 Likes

Why on earth would you think itā€™s your place to grill another poster on their credentials? Military or otherwise??

16 Likes

Anyone else have a sense of deja vu and Yankee Duchess?

18 Likes

You must have much better cell phone service than I do most of the time. Iā€™m glad if I can hear the other person speaking to me, never mind any background noises.

I would also think the credibility of the alleged earwitness would depend a lot on who it turned out to be.

7 Likes

Iā€™m really not - how do you think that a picture of someoneā€™s head, or any of the rest that you quoted here, proves that person did not know it was wrong to shoot someone? I am honestly curious; I have worked extensively in root cause analysis and I just donā€™t see the direct connection between any of those things, in and of themselves, and being declared insane by NJ lawā€™s definition. I am honestly asking you to explain it.

Do you really think that MBā€™s lawyer can present to the jury a picture of his bloody head and say, ā€œsee, he was insane!ā€, and they will look at the picture and think to themselves, ā€œwell his head has blood on it, clearly he did not know it was wrong to shoot someoneā€?

6 Likes

Ha! I was always happy we were only required to familiarize with the 45, unlike the 22 Beretta and M16 with which we had to qualify. Although quite adept with the 22 and M16, Iā€™m positive I couldnā€™t hit the proverbial broad side of a barn with a 45. Hate those things.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s really that much of a mystery.

3 Likes

Well, youā€™d hear the gun shots easily enough. I was assuming it would be easy to distinguish between muffled conversation vs muffled grunts and scuffling.

I think the leading candidate for the ear witness would be LKs lawyer negotiating the departure.

2 Likes

Maybe in your movie.

9 Likes

OK, so who does Sdel think it is?

Recasting the role of the ear witness makes very little difference to the story line of my movie.

If you play a different movie in your head, thatā€™s totally cool; Iā€™m not trying to convert anyone.

1 Like