Barisone Verdict Is In: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

I wonder how many of the horses he owned were sale horses – capital in waiting so to speak until sold. If he had capital per his lawyer friend he may have been making money buying/investing—making and selling–which is more than just commission. I would think he made most of his money off making and selling horses as opposed to commissions selling other peoples’ horses.

4 Likes

It was said that she brought in more horses that weren’t being paid for with her father’s monthly stipend and she obviously didn’t have the money to pay MB for their upkeep and residence, which meant he had to foot the bill for feed and farrier until reimbursed with cash or RG’s questionable labors. Combined with her and RG staying on the property, they would have been costing more $$$$$ than they were bringing in, when the balance sheets were done.

11 Likes

Have they gotten into contrails yet? That’s the latest thing in my clan. Some of them still believe that them Ruskies are living under the dam at Lake Shasta (though maybe they are right).

3 Likes

I believe both LK and RG were impeached after their testimony, correct?

What does this mean? What are the consequences?

6 Likes

It simply means they didn’t come off as “Winners” in the legal sense. There wouldn’t be any punishment for them and the Kanarek family is too well-connected for them to face any actual sanctions, even if there were any to impose against them. The worst that can happen to those two is that they would not be allowed to testify again, if the case were retried, for whatever reason.

8 Likes

It is a real shame the powers that be ignored or off-handedly dismissed LK’s years long torment of GJ with a yawn and a flutter of their well-manicured hands. Imagine if harassing someone who had fewer resources (money, family with clout, connections) had been taken seriously instead of waved off because GJ wasn’t important enough to take semi-seriously.

It wasn’t much better for her here. Telling someone to “get help” when they likely lack the time & money to get the help they need and essentially telling her to “get over it” was kicking her when she was down.

She wasn’t wrong to be upset. No one was rushing to champion HER the way so many were interested in excusing Lauren’s behavior (at the time).

18 Likes

Yeah fair enough actually, not the first time I’ve accidentally “said the quiet part out loud,” lol. But for context around my comment, I will say there is no changing this type of person, and it’s very unlikely that MB will be the last person she harms.

8 Likes

One aspect of my full-time job is to literally determine the net worth of individuals, and you would be amazed…AMAZED…at the number of people who don’t appear to have much and yet who are worth ridiculously large sums of money. I know people who have donated anywhere between $100K-$200+M and while they certainly live better than most people I typically associate with, they don’t necessarily have these crazily extravagant lifestyles. (Most of them just like to travel and play golf a lot.) I haven’t done a full-on research project of the family because I don’t have the time, but from what little I’ve gleaned, I’d estimate them to “only” be worth between $1-$5M.

I’m willing to bet that the interior of that house has probably undergone some very nice updates which were probably not cheap. Raising three daughters, putting at least two of them through private high school and college (I’m only guessing here), and paying for their weddings (again, guessing), couldn’t have been cheap, either. The younger daughters have done well for themselves and have both married men who appear to be successful. So, that possibly leaves quite a bit of income these days to help fund their eldest daughter’s…lifestyle.

11 Likes

Posts that didn’t age well.

9 Likes

Completely agree. I felt that Sarah Maslin Nir including GJ’s somewhat unbalanced post in the original NYT article as some kind of mean girl joke; it certainly was intended to (further) humiliate GJ.

19 Likes

I’ve had similar experiences, it’s neat to read that this is a part of your job, that’s cool. I was sat next to an older couple at a large horsey brunch years ago, and noticed that the couple had the same car I had (nothing fancy, just a plain honda). They mentioned they had 30 horses in training. They asked me what I did so I asked them as well, and the husband said, “do you ever watch the Shrek movies? I created him.” Super sweet couple, would never have dreamed they were so high net worth.

17 Likes

I bet she enjoys leaving pennies & nickels in half-drunk coffee cups for servers. Or within a wadded up napkin she blew her nose in.

7 Likes

Agree. One of the articles about his success said he brought young horses over, made them, and sold them. I wonder how many have been quietly sold. I bet they are lovely.

2 Likes

Except he could have been considered a house employee instead of an unlicensed contractor.

1 Like

Of all of the posts in the many Barisone threads in the last two and a half years that made me laugh out loud THIS IS THE BEST omg lololololololll

Dying.

13 Likes

You are so right. It was wrong of MB to try to do a nice thing for LK and RG so LK could have RG work off the board of some horse(s) she wanted but her father would not pay for.

13 Likes

Whose children was he nannying? Don’t think LK was paying him to do her laundry.

6 Likes

I COMPLETELY agree.

But… this is precisely why I have been pushing back on the trust fund narratives.

Estate taxes kick in when the value of someone’s estate is $12 million or more. The family home in NJ is slightly north of $1 million. Is it possible that these folks paid for the other daughter’s educations, weddings, etc, plus LK’s $530,000 house in Florida, plus all of her horses, and still socked away so much over the course of 30 years, that their estate is well over $12 million, and they had enough extra to set up trust funds for each daughter? It’s possible. But… if you assume that the beneficiaries (LK and her sisters) are only getting distributions of income from their trusts each year… and if you take a guess as to LKs annual expenses in Fl with 6 horses in full board, and training with Ulf Moller… you gotta figure the theoretical trust has income producing assets in it that are valued somewhere north of $2 million.

Soooo… if you assume that parents in this situation set up trust for each of 3 children, with a goal of reducing their estate to a value just under $12 million (to avoid estate taxes)…

That means their net worth would theoretically have been $18 million or more just a few years ago.

I don’t know the people- maybe they are exceptionally savvy careful investors, and live beneath their means, and they accomplished this. And if so - seriously- good for them. But if they were really worth a full $18 million just a few years ago… I think JK would have more public info out there on Google about his professional bio and accomplishments.

Hope that makes sense. You’re the one who apparently does this sort of estimating for a living. I’m an amateur sleuth :wink:

6 Likes

It just means many found they were not believable. It is not the same as perjury. It’s more like a credibility test for the jury. Who do you believe? Same with differing expert witness testimonies, who is the most believable.

Someone said they all went to public schools through high school and really good universities for the two that completed.