Barisone Verdict Is In: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

I’m so sorry!

I, at least, can get good Mexican food.

I thought I knew good Italian food until the first time I went to Boston. Now I can’t eat it here.

Oh, and good Chinese food too! Nothing here compares to anything I’ve had on the East Coast.

My sister thinks I like to visit her. It’s really about the food.

7 Likes

Coincidentally, I have some of my home made spanikopita defrosting in the fridge.
My husbands aunt used to make her own phyllo! She would have sheets of it drying on clotheslines in her house. Life is way too short to make your own phyllo.
The best Greek food in MA comes from Lowell and Lawrence btw. Italian from Worcester. The North End is just a poser in the Italian food contest.
There is no such thing as locaniko in the supernarkets in FL. How is that possible? EVERY DeMoulas has it in New England.
I was not offended by the references.
Back to lurking.

3 Likes

Thank you, good Sir. I shall continue to report on the flogging of deceased equines -

8 Likes

Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Steubenville, Parma, Columbus, Warren, Youngstown, Akron all have sizeable Greek populations according to the Wkipedia.

That’s where I’d look for authentic Greek food.

3 Likes

Tarpon Springs? Isn’t that like little Greece?

I shall now offend all and sundry by declaring that Bulgarian ‘feta’ (white brine serine) is where it’s at!

3 Likes

See now I just have to smite you

2 Likes

Fair enough. I knew it was going to be an inflammatory post. But, before you strike, seek it out and give it a try. It is soooooo good!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not mad at good Greek feta; I just prefer the Bulgarian when I can find it.

2 Likes

OMG, that’s hysterical! :man_cartwheeling: :man_playing_handball: :woman_cartwheeling: :woman_playing_handball: :norway:

6 Likes

I’ve had it when I was marooned on a desert isle and there was no other choice. It was either that or death. After tasting I chose death. But just as I was preparing my end I was rescued by Navy Seals.

3 Likes

I’m in columbus and can’t find any at all. But I came here during the covid crisis, and came to an entirely.empty city, if you drive around, day or night. Things are reopening slowly, but alot of the smaller restaurants and foodplaces didn’t make it. The ones which open now seem to be “ghost” restaurants which are meant to be delivery only, and just awful food. I will make the effort to try to find some good greek places, but the few that I have found which looked promising had just awful food.

I also lived in Dayton for a few years, same, only I found a fabulous Middle Eastern place, called Taste of Jerusalem. Wish I could find something like that here!

There are no greek diners interestingly, in either of these places. Have not found a single diner of any kind (except the excrutiatingly awful Waffle House). I miss the greek diners from Connecticut. Fabulous food, all night long. Le sigh.

3 Likes

Greeks are churchie so get in touch with their church.

4 Likes

I will exacerbate the argument by declaring that piknik beats all fetas!

See?

2 Likes

I’m surrounded by Neanderthals…

:pleading_face:

2 Likes

I really think that its that many of the privately owned restaurants were wiped out during The Covid. Some made it, but if there were good greek restaurants here, they aren’t any more. I work with many different cultures, and always ask for restaurant recommendations. Regular Columbusans say they just don’t know any good food, or make a desultory gesture “out there” somewhere. Eh. I’ll be back in the North East, where food lives, in a year or two anyway.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

I grew up eating feta and it was always way too salty for me. Piknik hits the sweet spot for me.

Parlay?

2 Likes

Interesting, I’m the opposite: I find Bulgarian saltier than Greek and that’s my sweet spot! But, you’re brave bringing Turkish cheese into a Greek feta discussion. It’s going to end in a free for all!

@Knights_Mom is really fighting this feta corner. I suspect she was rescued by Navy sea lions.

(I’ll show myself out)

13 Likes