Barisone Verdict Is In: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

That was in NJ. The NC records aren’t readily available, without paying $$$$ into multiple court systems, as they don’t use a unified system, so you can’t even look to see what is where.

4 Likes

I was acquainted with LK during her time in NC. IIRC she mentioned having a position with a large healthcare organization as an event planner.

3 Likes

Maybe if you keep saying it, it will happen? That appears to be your thinking. And seriously, you honestly think a judge, at a 30-day hearing, has the authority to commit someone for life??

Mental health is an evolving thing. Even if MB isn’t released back into society at the 30 day mark, future hearings will be scheduled to keep tabs on his mental health as it improves.

Heading for the ignore function now.

19 Likes

Qualitative decisions are not by definition subjective. There are lists of criteria. People have to agree. There may be difference of opinion. There may be compromise. But that’s not subjective.

4 Likes

I understood that aside from his personal issues he was a good worker.
Upon resurfacing he was required to take a drug test and he refused.

2 Likes

Mandy Matney’s podcasts on the Murdaugh Murders (41 episodes now) is worth the time to listen to them

3 Likes

That’s actually highly amusing. I expect she was an outpatient of a large healthcare organization and the events she planned were the Lala show. I can’t think of a worse job fit for someone as zoned out.

12 Likes

In the mid 80s I worked criminal court arraignments and it was typical for an arraignment to take 72 hours. They have since quickened it to 24 hours.

A person would be arrested and taken to the local precinct lockup. Eventually they made their way to booking which was in the court then arraigned. To trial took about a year.

5 Likes

I’m sure the Kanareks know that they are most likely on the radar of certain attorneys and entities. Certainly the attorneys will not be thinking to spare that family an ounce of embarrassment. Every little piece of dirty laundry will be exposed.

Going to the civil trial IMHO will be like shooting yourself in the foot.

As soon as the trial brings in witnesses and is more than say insurance company duke out it will become an episode of Kanarek Exposed.

Even if a naughty bit or two comes out against MB he’s already been thought of as an attempted murderer for 3 years. His hit will be light if any.

Edited typos

11 Likes

I doubt they will post details on SM. But it was nice to see Boyd and Mary Haskins both post in support of MB after the verdict. And a friend of mine who is a trainer that was riding with MB at the time also posted in support of him that day. I think his supporters simply did what was in his best interest, which was to stay quiet. (Something the other side is obviously incapable of doing.)

While they are expressing support, I think they will take the high road and not post any details. Which is actually the best thing to do.

26 Likes

Ok, I know I’m going to sound like a Judge Taylor apologist. But, you really have to look at the entire context here.

The last time Mr B and 48 HRS were in his courtroom, that case was overturned on appeal. Judges really don’t like that.

So, here comes Mr B, 48 Hrs, a sensational case with an insanity defense and a whole lot of insanity in the case, plus a super huge audience. After 2.5 years, you’re finally ready to get this show started, and the defendant is laying his head down on the table. I’ve seen judges that would have made Judge T look pretty dang cordial in that moment. It either a) gives the impression to the judge and to this huge audience that you’re not paying attention or worse b) you’re not competent to stand trial and assist in your defense (which is different than NGRI), which would grind everything to a screeching halt.

Then Mr B does a fabulous job of toeing the line of the Rules of Evidence. He knew exactly what he was doing, and Judge T’s patience wore thin. Some of the stuff he tried to get in had already been ruled on in pre trial hearings. There was one point I thought Mr S was going to ask for a mistrial, but he probably didn’t want to have to deal with this headache again. And, the State can’t appeal.

Judges typically don’t give well wishes until they’re done with the defendant. He’s going to see MB again on May 17th. No point in saying, good luck for the next 30 days.

The one point I thought was over the top was when he scolded him for mentioning his wife’s birthday. But that was directed at Mr B, not Michael, and just showed the animosity between those two.

I don’t think it would have mattered one bit who Mr B’s next client in that courtroom was. That animosity was already there from the Vertetis trial, and Mr B used it to his advantage. And maybe the next trial they’ll play a little nicer.

24 Likes

The other thing I remember is that there were a lot of comments criticizing him for being slow or for hesitating or stumbling over his words as he was asking questions.

But in hindsight, I think he was actually processing the answer he just gotten and taking a moment to recalibrate his next question as a result, with the added calculation of where that next answer might lead him.

In other words, playing mental chess at a much higher level than some of the witnesses on the stand. Lol.

34 Likes

Would LKs record prevent her from moving out of the US?

1 Like

Maybe he was emphasizing “civilly” so that those in the back (and the pro-LKers) wouldn’t try to twist the verdict into MB being guilty because he was not free to leave after the trial and is “imprisoned” still?

1 Like

Well, some of those answers weren’t just out of left field, they were from a whole different ballpark in a different league. You read transcripts and prepare all you can and then you get, “I only worked enough to cover the board.” And things of that nature. That would take a moment or two to digest. More important, the pause gives the jury a moment to think, hey what??

8 Likes

LOL
Yeah, I’m not saying she was truthful.
They were “entertaining” to be around.

1 Like

I think this idea.

Legal experts, is this OK/allowed?

1 Like

No, but she might not even have a Passport, so international travel might be out of the question and she certainly can’t apply for citizenship with any other country, without having a legitimate reason and justifications for obtaining citizenship.

3 Likes

Who knows.

Maybe North Korea is looking to create a Dressage Team?

:joy: :joy: :joy:

16 Likes

There’s ethics rules about lawyers accepting gifts from clients, but you aren’t a client, probably will never be a client and have no expectation of anything in return. I can’t see how it would be an issue? Especially at a nominal amount.

Not saying I’m an expert. That’s just my immediate thought on it.

4 Likes