Barisone Verdict Is In: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity

I respect your bada$$ Greek family :kissing_heart: I am mostly Eastern European and Scots Irish, but I married into an Italian family with significant criminal ties to the old mob structure in my city. Even though I divorced the jerk I keep my married name with the vowel at the end and whatever stigma (not noticed) since it is associated with most of my professional career.

6 Likes

The first hand knowledge was not the problem.

There is no basis for bringing up, even in question form, the idea that JK might possibly have mob ties just because he was one of 18,000 employees of EF Hutton in the eighties, when 2 (count ‘em, 2) Hutton brokers in Providence laundered some money for some “businessmen”.

There was nothing there. But the hate speech issue is that in the discussion or innocent “questions” concerning JKs employer being fined because two of its brokers laundered money, JKs national origin and religious affiliation has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

2 Likes

Ok I’m kinda bummed about the gyro thing. Maybe it’s like French Toast though. I’ve learned some interesting food trivia today.

My sister lives in MA, but not in Pittsfield. Next time I go visit her, I’m going to need tips on where to find the good stuff. There is a dearth of good Greek food out here in the Southwestern desert.

5 Likes

Yeah, you said that the defense hinted at a threat. Did you understand the hint? I didn’t.

Of course you didn’t.

12 Likes

THIS

17 Likes

I’m not allowed to ask a question on a public forum? Since when?

And let’s review PRECISELY what the verboten question was
 just for the sake of clarity 

My EXACT question was:

“Why is everyone so afraid of JK? Is he really that intimidating of a person? Does he have connections to ‘organized’ type of people in N.J.?”

ETA: I apologize in advance if any people of German origin were offended by my use of the word ‘verboten’.

19 Likes

For those who were unfamiliar with Michael Barisone prior to the trial, and a lovely reminder for those of us who know he is a kind man with a great sense of humor:

34 Likes

Compare the man in the video above with the man sitting in the courtroom. It’s heartbreaking.

24 Likes

My dad was German. Lots of things in my life were verboten. :rofl:

11 Likes

Except that you also made references to a Jewish mafia in NJ. The Kanarek family is Jewish and lives in NJ. Why emphasize the presence of a Jewish mafia in NJ if the likelihood that he has “connections” to organized crime has nothing to do with his being Jewish?

Consider a 70 year old lawyer of no particular religion, maybe agnostic, who lived in New Jersey and worked for EF Hutton in the eighties.

Would you point out that Jewish organized crime is a thing in New Jersey and say “Does he have connections to ‘organized’ type of people in N.J.?

1 Like

I think it’s time to :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

16 Likes

Not much was forbidden in my family. But I did have a grandparent who would scream and hit children over the head, and tell them that “x y or z was “ skatá .”

I learned that word about a decade before I learned “ Se agapó .”

Old world immigrant families and communities can be tough.

6 Likes

I think she’s got a name that isn’t Haskins or Gray but I don’t know what it is. I think it came up in the very early days of the trial. Maybe it’s under that name?

1 Like

This hasn’t worked in the past. LK and “Nellie/Gerdie” had a grand guffaw on FB several years ago ridiculing a well known instructor in the area with serious health issues at the time causing painful swelling and weight gain. They laughed about her not being able to hide behind a jumbo 747 and might need a wrecker to get up from a chair. Of course there were also quite a few “likes and laughs” on their fun, very hurtful posts. SS was not interested.

I do find it interesting how USEF/SS has turned a blind eye toward the many, many reports about Lauren. Imagine what would have been prevented if only they had acted responsibly at the time.

23 Likes

Please go back and review the relevant posts. And then retract your inaccurate accusation.

I said absolutely ZERO about the Kanarek family’s ethnic/religious background. That was a different poster.

What I did say about Jewish mafia in NJ?

Let me quote it for you

“I got a frustrated response earlier on these threads when I brought up Italian American owned companies in that area of the country and organized crime.

The fact is, in certain parts of the North East, organized crime is still very real. And it has deep ties to both Italian and Jewish communities in New Jersey.

This is not meant to disparage entire ethnic communities. Not at all. But some people are indeed ‘connected.’ “

15 Likes

I hear you. My grandparents were TOUGH. I don’t remember my great-grandparents but they were the ones who immigrated here. Luckily, my dad was more of a softie. But still, verboten was something we heard often. Plus dummkopf. But we also got a lot of ich liebe dich

6 Likes

You can keep your dry Spanakopita and hand over the Dolmaldes. ALL OF THEM.

My Greek grandfather lives in a small town in Ohio owned by the mob. The food is delicious. (waits for outrage).

12 Likes

That episode was the one that turned me from a casual Colbert watcher into a lifelong fan.

8 Likes

I’m outraged.

LOL didn’t want to keep you waiting long!

7 Likes