Belmont weekend 2023

Questionable move by Fox Sports. They are using Tom Durkin – who was legendary. However, he retired in 2014 – that is tough stepping up after almost 10 years!

1 Like

I’m not sure about Durkin–kept calling So High as Oh Say in the Manhattan.

2 Likes

I’m not thrilled with it, but far better than NBC w/the extreme celebrity coverage! Tom Amoss and Mike Smith are quite good, I think. I agree that I would like the whole post parade – I’ll bet they do that for the Belmont.

2 Likes

If you want mostly coverage of the horses and races and have cable, FS1 is where to watch for sure. I just thought Fox was our only option, I didn’t realize they’d be doing ‘regular’ coverage as well as the Fox coverage.

1 Like

Oh my, Tapit Trice was showing everyone that he is a boy horse on national TV.

3 Likes

Almost time! Hoping for a great, safe race. Reported crowd is 48,000 in a non- TC year. Far cry from the organized chaos when I was there in 2014 (130,000) and 2015 (90,000).

2 Likes

Yayyy!!!

3 Likes

I’m totally ok with the ending.
Well done to Arcangelo & all of his connections.

5 Likes

The Fox sound sucks. I couldn’t hear a word the commentators and track announcer were saying.

8 Likes

Jena Antonucci must be on cloud 9. First female trainer to win the Belmont.

“If you can’t find a seat at the table, make your own table.” YES MA’AM Jena!

22 Likes

They’re showing a deadheat for 4th & 5th place between Hit Show & Angel of Empire.

Now the excuses for Forte will begin :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I had to turn on the closed captions, and they suck.

Congratulations to Jena Antonucci, Javier Castellano, and Arcangelo.

The commentary was so bad I have no idea about second and third. I thought my cable was going to go off again, but it didn’t. Fortunately, FS1 actually mentioned the order of finish. Fox claims they had their A-team at the race, I don’t want to know how bad the B-team would have been. FS1-Fox Sports channel had great sound, so I don’t know why the Fox channel didn’t.

1st------------Arcangelo
2nd-----------Forte
3rd-----------Tappit Trice

I’m just glad they all came back safely.

3 Likes

Most importantly, it looks like everyone came back safely.

11 Likes

Fox needs to fire whatever sound engineer is working this broadcast! All the background stuff is drowning out the actual commentary.

7 Likes

I’d be surprised to hear any whiny excuses from Forte’s team as that’s not really how they roll. He’s had a weird five weeks, brought to peak condition for the Derby before being told to stay home and training hiccups from the foot bruise. The Belmont is a pretty stiff test and second isn’t bad given his recent history.

I wondered if he hadn’t peaked in Florida, myself, given that he had to run pretty hard to get the FL Derby win. But it’s a question we’ll never know the answer to.

11 Likes

Great race. I couldn’t be happier for Archangelo’s connections, and am relieved that everyone came home safe.

13 Likes

I am going to use this.

6 Likes

I should have clarified…
I didn’t mean from excuses from team Forte.
I meant from spectators, armchair trainers, etc. Heck even Mike Smith was making excuses for Forte right after the race.

2 Likes

He had a tough row to hoe. He did well, all considered! If an underdog was going to take it – I’m so glad it was this team!

3 Likes

Everyone has an automatic excuse for the Belmont: the race is freakin’ long. :joy:

7 Likes