Belmont weekend 2023

By Arrogate out of a Tapit mare certainly helps!!

4 Likes

Ugh, horse pulled up in the final race. I happened to not be watching the screen when it happened and couldn’t make myself go back and rewatch but the track announcer made it sound not good at all.

Yeah, d***, euthanized. :worried:

Forte: Call me a bit shocked when he came running up at the end - I had sort of written him off not long before that. Given his weeks of ‘weirdness’ I’d be pretty happy with 2nd.
Good race overall, happy for the winner for sure. And all those horses coming to the wire together was fun to watch!

2 Likes

Damn.

1 Like

An Arrogate out of Tapit mare which sold for $2.85m in the past. He was bought for $35k as a yearling.

What did this guy’s Xrays look like?

That’s some tough stuff made to go the distance, isn’t it? Well done you!

I thought the same thing. Apparently, not too bad!

According to the owner, he was very immature as a yearling and had bad sesamoiditis.

Also Arrogate’s first crop of 2yos ran in 2021 and weren’t setting world on fire at the time of that year’s September sales. Then they took off in 2023, of course.

1 Like

I was pleased to see Arcangelo win, I was rooting for him, and for his trainer, Jena Antonucci, GoGirl.

As for Forte, he did remarkable job, coming from in back to place second.

As was noted by many others, the race coverage was disgraceful The background noise blotted out the race call. The otherwise coverage, lack of parade, etc. was bad. I’m not a Fox fan and think they should stick to covering tennis.

2 Likes

Just curious–did you watch on regular Fox or Fox Sports? I watched on Fox Sports (FS1) and did not notice a problem with the sound. They did cut away from a post parade to interview a trainer in the Jaipur, however, which was annoying.

2 Likes

He was also a mid May foal and Don Alberto has the money to protect him if he felt the bidders
were wrong. Anyone know what Arrogate’s fee was at the time to put him on the ground?

It’s an easy game…

Regular Fox had the bad sound.

3 Likes

Arrogate’s 2019 stud fee was $75,000 live foal.

NYRA limits entry to 50,000 now. Belmont’s internal infrastructure just can’t handle the 100,000 + crowds and much easier to give 50k a good experience than to have everyone from an overflow crowd leaving disgruntled.

3 Likes

The sound on fox during the race was definitely awful. But the coverage overall was better than NBC for a few reasons:
No efforts to make it a fashion show
No efforts to drum up actors or athletes. Watching that NFL player be so out of his element at the Preakness was not entertaining. Seeing him spit out the crabcake he was somewhat forced to bite into was just ridiculous.
They talked pedigrees because they had horse people commentating.

Was it the ABC of old, way back when it was done really well ? No. Was it better than NBC? All day long.

5 Likes

If you go to NYRA Racing, you can hear the replay of the Belmont Stakes (Race 12) with, I believe, the Track announcer. Same with the Met Mile (Race 10)—no “toiling” for Cody’s Wish is heard on the replay.

Belmont Park Race Replays | NYRA

This is a replay of the Belmont Stakes with the television announcer. You can hear him better here, but the “thundering” hooves is still a bit much. It’s nice, though, because it includes the reaction of the trainer (and the race and during the interview) as she sees her horse is going to win.

The 2023 Belmont Stakes FULL RACE | FOX Sports - YouTube

2 Likes

When they says it’s on Fox, you go to whatever channel your carrier designates as Fox. I had no idea there was such a thing as Fox sports.

As I said, I am not ever impresed with Fox.

1 Like

The emotions!! Jena Antonucci watching Arcangelo make history with/for her.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtWoez2omzx/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtWoez2omzx/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

3 Likes