Unlimited access >

BEST VIT E: about to reorder elevate. Change my mind?

Looks like it’s approximately 22 cents per 1000 IUs.

Do you have to syringe it as well or will your horse eat it top dressed on grain?

I also use Emcelle, as posted up thread. My mare has no problem eating it just squirted onto her ‘grain’ meal. Her’s is wetted down, as timothy pellets/alfalfa cubes/Outlast so I don’t know if that helps the palatability. It’s not oil on top of dry material.

1 Like

My fat pigs will eat anything in their grain. No questions asked. Emcelle is the least offensive thing they hoover down :wink:

2 Likes

I might try it for my anhidrosis horse. His nickname is Mr. Piggy. Seems like he might eat it. Thanks!

I’d theoretically feed it with my horse’s soaked ration balancer, so that’s good to know you have luck getting your horse to eat it in a soaked feed.

I think you will! Honestly even at 10 mL amount that’s hardly noticeable in most portions that horses get. But some are just extra picky…

1 Like

Yes some are! My old horse is super finicky. But the Mr. Piggy horse that I’m considering trying the Emcelle on is less picky.

I use Emcelle and just squirt it on top of their food. Both of my horses eat it with no problem - and one is sort of picky about add-ins.

1 Like

Another Ultra Cruz Natural Vitamin E fan here. My mare had what was probably mild EPM in 2013. I started with a double dose of SmartPak Vitamin E since my barn at the time would not feed supps in other forms. I’ve used 8000 IU per day of UltraCruz since I was able to start making up my own supplement paks in 2014. My mare gets enough powders in her dinner that it’s worth feeding wet.

1 Like

Just an update: the Amazon Vit E and Omega 3 pills came overnight! Hippo mare eats them both with no hesitation. Moderately picky gelding eats the Vit E ones easily. It is so inexpensive I through I might as well put him on it as well. I’ve been giving them 5 pills each, so 6kIUs….happy so far.

1 Like

Why 6000IU? That’s pretty high for most horses. Does blood work indicate he’s pretty low?

Well the mare has a grade 2a uterine biopsy showing some inflammation, and several breeders recommended putting her on Vit E and Omega 3s could help reduce that and get her pregnant.

The gelding doesn’t have any particular problems. What dosage do you suggest for general immune health?

I know my EPM horse was on 10k IUs that we then backed down to 6ish when he was healthy, so I figured that was a maintenance-type dose but I should have done more research!

Both are 16.1 stocky WB types.

I would be supplementing based on blood levels, not uterine inflammation

10,000IU for even EPM horses is outdated, before much was known about what blood work really shows.

From the 2018 AAEP convention:

4 Likes

Thread hijack - hope OP won’t hate me

Do you have any opinions on Vitamin E supplementation for anhidrosis? I’m finding some vague info online but nothing firm. Do you think the serum level / dosage guide above would be the same when looking to manage anhidrosis?

Well, I wouldn’t expect Vit E to help at all for anhydrosis. I have an older pony I have been managing for severe anhydrosis for a decade.

There are a lot of market supplements, but I have not found any of them to work for a pony on a good basic ration balancer.

I monitor her during summer, hose her off on hot days. OneAC seems to help some, also the Chinese herbs, or a beer a day, or some market supps…but none of that actually did anything for mine.

That is interesting. I don’t mind lowering the levels at all. But I have to wonder why we bother. Grass is coming in soon…do you discontinue in summer?

Blood levels are a moment in time so that is fairly problematic too if it isn’t wildly out.

This article references two studies supporting the use of Vitamin E in managing anhidrosis, but so far I haven’t been able to find the actual studies to read.

I’ve had good luck with Refresh but am trying One AC this year as the RB I switched the horse to has electrolytes in it already.

My very large wb gelding has been on elevate powder for years and blood analysis came back very low vit E and vet said to put him on elevate liq ws for 30 days and re-check. He’d developed some weird problems - seeing “ghosts”, nervous and a slight head tremor, He’s much better after two weeks on the liquid !

@Atlas_Shrugged if you have to use a water-soluble form again, go with Emcelle - lots cheaper than Elevate W.S. :slight_smile: