Bush opens up a can of whoop a$$

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We’ve known about soy diesel for fifteen years, and corn gas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heehee, that sounds like a vegetarian sickness!

“Doctor, I have a bad case of the corn gas.” “Well, the only treatment your HMO covers is soy diesel”

The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

I agree, Duffy. He can drop the ‘r’ from terror all he wants, I care more about what he said than how he said it.

S2N

“What am I lying here
for?..We are lying here as
though we had a chance of
enjoying a quiet time…am I
waiting until I become a
little older?”

Awhile back I had a pile of articles for the useful purposes of manure. With those are the details, I know it was a small town in the midwest and they provided the generators that used the cow manure. There also was a man who said he had altered an engine so that he could run a car on horse manure. There also was a company in California that used manure to remove paint toxins from the ground. And, in Japan they compress the manure and use it in blocks to insulate pipes. The neanderthal used it as fuel to start fires.

Did you know that all that grease that melts out of your hamburgers is collected and actually sells on the commodities market as gease. Surely, with the collective intelligence of horse people we can develop a process for a useful purpose of our end-product with this information.

I know that for purposes of farmland asessment if your farm product is manure you have an easy way to claim more acreage. If our manure was spread in the deserts we could turn them green again. YET, in this brilliant age of technology manure is carefully sealed in plastic bags and dumped in the land fill at our expense.

The peat bogs are almost gone and our manure can be processed to equal the values of peat moss, yet we just throw it away or spend money to compost it for no profit at all.

My other pet concern is alternate bedding. OK! there’s straw but the rest of us use shavings. Now that the housing starts are down there is not very much lumber being cut and that means wood shavings prices will go up-and-up-and-up. So what are the options? If lumber stops being used for construction what will we do?

So we can lick the terrorists by not buying their oil, who’s working on the alternate uses of natural products? Pumping it out of the ground is not the only solution, we could use alternate farm products as fuel instead of polluting with oil or even toxic batteries.

Where are all the bleeding heart liberals and tree huggers now when you need them? Every 3rd world country has lots of manure from their animals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by baymare:
Sorry, I just can’t go here. It all just seems like hot air, political rhetoric, and “patriotism, the last refuge of scoundrels.” (can’t even remember the source…Voltaire??? help me out here)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I’ve seen your quote credited to Dr. Samuel Johnson, but he may have “borrowed” it from Voltaire. Don’t know if that was the help you were looking for

I like him (GW), but I’m still praying for him too - what a decision to have thrust upon you.

Jess

God is nice and all, but to use God to justify politically-motivated killing…not good!

Snowbird’s pastor-dude was advocating the use of fear and executions as a God-based methodology of governing. Read it carefully - he is very blunt about it. He also stated that killing in God’s name is a good thing.

This makes him sound eerily like the very regime we want to crush, and who deserve any crushing that comes their way.

Pacificsolo, getting the guys who did this is one thing. Smashing Afghanistan in order to get them, and destroying a lot of innocent people, and creating new support for the Taleban as a result, is quite another. Thank you for your concern that I live in a pathetic morass of moral turpitude.

I would expect that most politically-to-the-right fundamentalist Christians do not have a problem with the idea of a holy Christian war against the infidels. This is, after all, one of the defining features of fundamentalism. I do wish they would notice the irony therein, though.

I also have a great number of Christian friends who believe that violence begets violence. Sure, some amount of destruction and death is going to happen and is richly deserved by those responsible for the attacks. I just don’t personally know any Christians who still ascribe to the Crusades tactic of “kill them ALL and God will recognize his own.”

So sue me - I want to avoid the further devastation of an already desperately poor region, and I don’t want more innocent people to die in my name, or in some vengeful God’s name.

I was thinking that terrorism is kind of the last vestige for those who just can’t be heard, and for who’s ideas are so far out of mainstream, no one will listen to them. I think that back in the cold war days, if you didn’t like what the USA was doing, you could cry to the USSR and have a big allie on your side. Now a days, there is no equivalent in “super power” to the US and if you are a small country and you don’t like what the US policy is, you don’t really have a voice, or anyone to even run to crying that could “intimidate” us. The only thing you can do is use terrorism against the big guys.
I don’t know what the solution is - maybe we need another really big enemy, like China to keep a balance of global power? You might be able to kill off terrorism in the middle east, but sooner or later, another small country is going to be upset with some policy and use terror against us, as long as we are the lone “super power”
Well, that is clear as mud…

Ride it Like You Stole It…

Needless to say, all women in Afghanistan stay at home, stripped of their fundamental rights to education and work so that they may simply feed their children.

Beyond the military, it seems clear that we in the western nations must address the doomed and miserable plight of the women in Afghanistan. While seeking justice for the 6,000 lost lives in the terrorist attacks, let’s also seek justice for the plight of Afghani women - for it’s they who represent an end to religious fundamentalism and any hope for democracy in that part of the world.

www.rawa.org

Hmmmmm…How to try to say this…No one is judging anyone by what freaking books they have on their nightstand. Not that some of them aren’t interesting…But that aside, the only problem I’ve had with some posters is in the unjustified grouping of posters into certain classifications, by age group or whatever…To assume that someone does not understand/comprehend/empathize what others in different parts of the world, or even this country, are going through/have been through is ludicrous.

Some fellow posters have assumed that I’m just a fashion princess. HAHA…Only a few know what I’ve been through in my lifetime and I know that others have been through much more. One cannot judge a person by his/her posts entirely. Some people are just plain better writers and some voice their opinions stronger/better/more eloquently/persuasively/less antagonistically than others. I think that is one of the best parts about this BB. One can reveal as much or as little as one likes. Boy, I’ve gotten off tangent, and I apologize.

Snowbird, I respect what you’ve been through in your lifetime and hope that you’ll be around many more years. However, I respect many other posters as well, though they may not have been on this earth as long. They have much to offer as well, in their witticism, intelligence, empathy, etc.

Oye, guess I’ll be editing/deleting this one before the night is out. Not sure if I made any sense, let alone the point I was attempting to make.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IlonaE:
We lived through 8 years of politically correct Bull with Bill and his cast of Far Side Cabinet Members. We ignored the job of government and felt security was un-necessary with the “cold war” over.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the issue is not so clear cut. Just one example:

Former Attorney General Janet Reno consistently regarded as “critical work,” FBI requests for search warrants re suspected terrorists living in the US. Until September 11th, the current AG, John Ashcroft, routinely denied such warrants or relegated them to the back burner as “non-essential” matters.

Oddly enough, it is Ashcroft who now is being criticized by conservative groups for having been “soft” on crime and for placing the civil liberties of suspected terrorists above the public welfare.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidi-ugh:
Among the debates last night on “Politically Incorrect” was one premised on the need to know the enemy before launching a retaliatory strike.

Two of the panelists took great offence at this notion and interpreted it as a Freudian exercise rather than the basis of a sound military strategy.

.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gosh, I hope they weren’t anyone with decision making authority! That’s the first thing that debaters or lawyers are taught…figure out what the other’s side’s argument is. In other words, know your enemy. I’m sure someone figured that out way be for Freud was born,

(My husband is a lawyer…luckily we rarely argue; it can be tiresome )
Betsy (in MD)

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Do you also believe that cancer patients or pneumonia sufferers should “gut it out” as well, or are you just skeptical that the brain is vulnerable to disease? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hobson, you have such a gift for the ridiculous!

Obviously, physical ailments need treatment. Obviously someone who is hearing voices that tell him to kill all redheads over age 10 needs to be prevented from acting upon his “instructions.” However, even psycho-practitioners admit that their field is a “soft” science - not readily measurable by tangible scientific methods.

Read Snowbird’s first paragraph and Ann’s post - what they said.

IMO, there is far too much dwelling on emotional stresses, and too many excuses for poor behaviour based on same. There is value in expressing one’s feelings, but only so far - in the past, ministers, family members or friends served the function of listening posts, now there is an entire industry based upon that function. The Cherokee had a custom, that anyone could repeat their story up to 5 times. After that, you were expected to get on with your life. An emotional trauma didn’t excuse you from the responsibilities of living.

I have suffered from depression for many years. What works best for me in fighting it, is to stiffen my upper lip, feed my beasties, do my job, look for ways to help others and generally get on with it.

So maybe it’s whatever works for you.

Welcome to my cabinet. Boobs for Beards is perfect. I just hope they don’t retaliate when they find out they’re fake…

Oh for crying out loud…

IS ANYONE LISTENING?? I SAID IT WAS A GOOD SPEECH!

I am not “worried” about how he says it. Annoyed, yes, but not worried.

BTW, as someone cursed with a Midwestern accent (which makes most people think my name is “Ann” when I introduce myself), who spent four years going to school with people from New Yawk and Lawn-Guy-Lind, I have a very good appreciation of accents… I quite enjoy different accents, actually.

Yeesh…

As I have said three times now, I thought it was a very good speech. Got goosebumps during the “the state of our union is strong” part.

You’re right, Kryswyn, nobody is going to have to force young people into uniform and tanks and whatnot. Bunches of them are eager to get out there and help.

I must take a moment to point out that there are big differences between the ideas of “pacifism” and “nonviolence.”

Most people confuse pacifism with passivity, doing absolutely nothing to make waves. Pacifism is more like the seeking of peace and accord. It in nonviolent in nature.

Nonviolence, on the other hand, as a political strategy, is NOT about passivity or about pacifism. It is about rocking the boat while preserving life as much as possible. NOnviolence cannot be equated with pacifism, because it entails struggle and challenge to authority - it often disrupts peace in order to create change. People who adhere to the idea of nonviolence want terrorists held accountable just as much as everyone else; they just want it accomplished without provoking others’ death and destruction.

Nonviolence is not for the cowardly. Think Mohandas Gandhi and his supporters facing down British troops armed with NOTHING. The british massacred large numbers of nonviolent independence activists, and they had a long struggle of it, but Gandhi and his crew persisted AND THEY WON. People might immediately dismiss this strategy as being stupid, but this guy helped India achieve independence while keeping its infrastructure intact, spared from the devastation of violent war. Nonviolence takes a great deal of committment to the cause, and indeed a willingness to die for it.

While the tragedy of the events of Sept. 11th are overwhelming, there is the part of me that sees that those horrible events also offer the world an incredible opportunity.

To erradicate terrorism, the many different nations of the world will need to work together as a global community with this as a common goal. The critical importance of this common goal far outweighs the cultural and religious differences between countries.

As all or some of us may have experienced at our jobs or schools, once people of apparent differences work together towards a common goal, often times understanding, acceptance, tolerance and respect for each other are reached. The differences seem, well, less different. As such, civilization and humanity are advanced…on a small scale, such as at our places of work/school, or on a large scale such as the current opportunity offers.

Of the many layers, types and facets of fear that I have experienced since the events of Sept. 11th, my greatest fear is that in our efforts to end terrorism, we will not act as a member of the global community.

While our cultures/religions/etc. may be different, our common goal of liberty and peace are shared. We must put aside our differences for this greater common good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
We all react differently to a crisis. While some may feel better nit picking others of us think it is the time to be together and show these b******* that we will not give them the satisfaction to accomplish their purposes. Both are perhaps justified. No reason to call names.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So “b*******” is no longer a name??
Sorry I am getting very tired of the hipocrisy–not only on your part, Snowbird. How is it NOT ok to call political factions in our nation names, but it’s perfectly fine to blast away at other nationalities and groups. Pleas keep it at least civil.

And IlonaE…I would agree, you seem to positively spit with anger through your posts, which doesn’t seem really necessary. Could we keep things at a non-war-level for now?

“…Imagine all the people…”

About 12 years ago, my uninsured sister spent several hours waiting, without treatment, in a smaller hospital’s emergency room - they couldn’t find a shock-trauma unit that would accept her after a car accident, despite the very serious nature of her injuries. She had recently returned from 2 years in the Peace Corp, and didn’t have a “real job” yet, so no health insurance…

I’ve heard complaints from Canadians about their health care system, but ours certainly has room for improvement.

My mother was born here and when her father was killed in an accident her mother had no choice but to go home. I am not surprised about your lack of information, it was not unusual for immigrants in those days to reinvent themselves.

Most felt they were Hungarians because it was their country in their childhood, and then it was Austria, and then it was Czechoslovakia, and then it was Russia, and now it is the Ukraine. We recently made a trip to Budapest and our guide was a lovely 70 year old lady with more energy than I, and she would say there are a lot of Hungarians in Slovakia but it’s not because they moved, they just moved the country.

I think we owe our heritage more than we might like to admit to Attila the Hun. His victory over that part of Europe changed it forever and we got a lot of those “Hun” genes. They were animal people and not farmers i.e the unbelievable dare devil Cossacks. Did you know that the Hungarians trained their horses to be surefooted by cantering up and down stairs in Buda? And, that they bred their finest mares first to a white donkey whose statue in in Budapest. The white mules of Hungary are the result of that mating. The finest bred mules in the world.

I would love to know more about your grandmother, my Mom worked her way across Europe from Uzhorod to the port in France and came here by steerage. My God! that is a courage I don’t think I would ever have. Yes! she did it because this was the land of promise and it granted her her dreams. I love this country because it has meant so much to so many who didn’t think they had a prayer of a life and it gave them the American Dream where the children would be safe.

I think now perhaps too safe! and too comfortable to understand there are bad people out there.

That was an awesome letter. Please send it to the editor.
I LOVE the way companies keep laying people off, then wonder why people aren’t spending. WELL DUH!
I hate it at Christmas when they cheerlead us into shopping with threats of a poor retail season ruining the economy. It’s as if if you are a spendthrift, you are down right Unamerican.
I also add:
Please, give us time to mourn this time around. Give us time to get over our travel fears. Would it have been to much to have given us a day off after the bombings to be with our loved ones… and let the people that man the WalMart and McDonald’s have a day of reflection too? I felt like an ass sitting in my Quant class on Sept 11 learning about regression for 3 hours knowing a few thousand citzens had lost their lives in this awful ordeal. How many people had to flip burgers, crunch numbers, and be CEO’s that day while worrying if indeed, WW 3 had begun?
I realize we had to show the terrorists that they didn’t break us into stopping our lives, but would a day or so of reflection been so awful?

…the man in Florida diagnosed with Anthrax has died. Let’s all hope this is an isolated incident. He went fast. If this is an example of what terrorists could do, then it’s a little scarry.