CA Clique Redux

So, I’ve spent countless hours giving myself migraines, slaving over writing this book proposal, because, you know, if the proposal doesn’t look great, the publisher is sure that your book will suck, so the proposal has to look fantastic. About 2 a.m. I finish all 6 pages, print it off, and take it to the post office the next morning… stand in line with for 20 minutes, glaring at the ONE counter person who must, of course chat with each customer like they’re his long-lost second cousin…

Then I get home and get an e-mail telling me to “address the cover letter to___________”. WHAT “cover letter”?

So, I now have to muse over how to compose a cover letter to accompany YET ANOTHER COPY OF THE PROPOSAL, which I print off. So, I e-mail the editor, tell her, “Never mind the first proposal you’ll receive. Don’t pass it up the chain of command, because a new one is coming with the cover letter attached,” and, yes, I now return to the post office yet once again and just smile and nod to the same Opie-faced guy behind the counter, and send my heart and soul on its way.

Later that same afternoon…I’m working with the Hanoverian cow-beast, and I"m pondering, “Hmmm… One way or another I should hear from this publisher in about a week or so…” It dawns on me that my beautifully composed cover letter neglects one thing: my return address! How will I ever hear from them???

I am such a total doofus! So, refusing to print off and mail yet another freakin’ copy, I call my editor-friend and just about start crying. She was nice enough to tell me that since I’ve helped her out at the last minute on some writing assignments before, she’ll just intercept the proposal and add a letterhead/return address on for me! Phew!

Do you think I could be one of those case histories of someone who received one too many low-impact head injuries as a youngster?

I’m on the internet right now looking for an American Plume…

Beezer’s youngster is— I swear he is!— learning to bend and be supple… dang it! How can this be a heriditary thing? He’s just like his mother, Beezer’s former combined driving/jumper that is now officially a lawn ornament. She didn’t bend, he doesn’t bend. Side reins? What side reins? He doesn’t make circles, he makes pentagons. He doesn’t turn, he merely changes directions. It’s like turning a ship: “Captain, prepare to come about!” But I must say, he’s a very cute, bright chestnut with hind stockings and a dear face. And best of all, he does not want to get in trouble.

But I’m not sure I’m thrilled with my sister’s intimation that I, what, dated a lot or something? Just because I had that thing with the blond surfer boy/busboy that gave my parents ulcers…Maybe I’m somehow related to coreene???

By the way, I must try the banana taste test at the barn. The real Beezer (the horse) was just like Willem at shows. He mooched anything edible within reach. He once dragged an entire box of Winchell’s donuts off the entry table. Then, at another show my sister was standing too close to Linda Hough, who was eating a cheeseburger, and Beezer (horse) snatched the entire thing-- paper wrapper and all-- right out of her hand!

dmj: I will gladly e-mail you.Are you sure you want to be dragged into the “feast or famine” world of writing? I’m rich/I’m poor/I’m rich/I have no money for the horse show/I’m buying everyone lavish gifts/I’m poor/I’m ordering stuff from Dover/I’m poor/I’m rich/Where’s my check?/ I get checks I didn’t expect/I’m poor…

next week I’m going to the Oaks, George is clipped,(by joaquin) and looks GREAT!!! I am so excited to get out there and show.

~Christina~
“Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, Darling!” JD;Heathers

I am going to try making Mint Margaritas for the derby.

And she’s STILL never forgiven me for it…

Chef, you forgot all the math signs after her name. You could call her Khemosabi Grace +++++++++++++++++++!!!

But really, you had me in stitches, rolling on the floor. What is it with big horses and little ponies or minis? My horse does the same thing!! He thinks a mini or a small pony is a great big, huge, intimidating monster or something. Head goes straight in the air, nostriles flair, spinns around, snorts and cares about the one on his back… NOT! Too funny! Glad you rode through it though.

Oh, and Bumpkin,
Ditto on the short arm subject. Rode CR Legatto (once) way back when, before Peter had him. That horse has the longest neck of any horse I ever saw, rode, met, whatever. It was something trying to get him packaged together!! What a hoot that must have been to see.

Wow, so much is happening here!!

Let first say that I, lil’ole’ Mo, from Mo., has recieved the Cap. YES!! They’re heading your way so don’t dispare!

Bumpkin, I do hope for Mallory’s sake and Poncho’s that this is his last ailment so they may enjoy each other the rest of the summer.

Coreene, you have yourself a cutie pahtutie there. How old is he?

And Merry, If you have 8 and one is a lawn ornament, one an orphan, one is Hammy, one is Spotted, and one Bounces (tigger), who are the other 3? Babies, brood mares?

I’ll take “d”: Rider is merely fulfilling her contract as an advertising spokesperson for Dr. Binky’s Chiropractic and Sports Medicine Clinic of Modesto, California.

1. A COTH hat so I can be identified at shows. I am extremely shy, so this may be a bit much. However, you now know my horsies name (not sure what show name will be yet) and face, so I can’t really hide, I suppose. At least I’ll have a few months of anonymity since that’s how long it will probably take me to get the cap!

2. That Seabiscuit book! I need to see if they have it at the library yet. (They rent out the bestsellers) I have vowed not to buy any more books unless I am traveling because they are so darn expensive!

Well, I don’t think I will be venturing to Camelot this weekend. It looks like my first show will be at Flintridge on June 10th - a little combined test derby. (Dressage + combined stadium/x-country jumping round)

Don’t forget the golf cart leadline. That’s the one where you see how many ponies you can lead to the ring at a trot from one golf cart. Very hotly contested!

I’m showing at Coto. The barn is bringing about 11 horses. WE’re going down there on Friday and willbe showing both days.

I’ve been practicing real hard on my new position so if any of you wander down there I’ll be the bay w/ four white socks and a star and snip on the nose (never mind the slightly aged amateuron my back!)

In the last week and one half my daughter has gained such confidence. It’s really wonderful to watch.

Corrine: I haven’t forgotten your kind offer. I’ll buy the drinks

BTW, I just got an approximation on the cost to go to Pebble. Well if I trail ride up there… OMG it make Indio look cheap

My favourite little place in northern CA is The Sandpiper Inn in Elk. Not only does Elk boast some wonderful artisans and the best general store in North America, it’s quaintly beautiful, on the Pacific. We’ve been there 4 or 5 times and the last time, I was pummelled by a shiatsu masseuse they had on call.

I shall admit it, hate southern CA (i.e. L.A.), but Love Northern CA – to the point that we actually contemplated a move to San Francisco. I just couldn’t get over the fact that horses aren’t turned out in acres of free-roaming paddocks.

Adopted. I swear I am…

Merry, be nice to that cute, sweet 4-year-old. Remember his motto: If you don’t believe, you don’t deserve. (As in … If you don’t believe that Tigger is Mr. Perfect, you don’t deserve for Tigger to be Mr. Perfect. )

Dublin, I hope you feel better.

Merry, if you want that eggbutt, you just go get it. Keep that California economy going.

Elizabeth, how do I become a part of this summer program? weeble thinks, "hmmm, summer program, must be office politics, briefs, but NOOOOOOOOO, summer program is Catalina and BBQ’s! weeble must find employment with this kind of program.

suave, welcome back. isn’t cosmo a good boy for dealing with the indignity of wearing a HORN???

wty, so right- so right! even worse, if I get stuck about what to do and have to log onto the computer in the middle of a date to get advice from you guys. excuse me david. i need to . . . ummm . . . check my e-mail!

Buster loves bananas too. he won’t eat the skins, though. does anyone’s horse eat the skins???

Cool AAJumper, that’s better than wearing a red carnation As we get closer let me know what your class schedule looks like. I’ll look forward to watching you. Your pics that you posted a while back were terrific

I keep telling myself someday…I’ll get there. Tonight I jumped in the new arena. We’ve recently changed arenas (since we share the grounds with other trainers. We are now located in the (Merry, you should appreciate this!!) FREEWAY arena. WE canter up to the outside line (6 strides. Just as we are approaching stride 5, a big semi puts on the breaks, my guy puts on the breaks, then I put on the breaks about midway up his neck. It wasn’t pretty We then try the other line 7 strides we get there in 5 and I call it a day

Maybe tomorrow will be better

[This message was edited by SuaveReno on Apr. 14, 2001 at 06:56 AM.]

Yeah elizabeth!!! That is soooo much better than just hand holding. Of course we all hope you didn’t chuckle too loud. Don’t want him to think it was the kiss!!!

Oh coreene, can’t wait to see the pictures of Willem and his court. Have seen those little prairie varments when they have a thistle up their tails. They carry on for hours.

A/A it’s called endorphines! Thats why we love to ride. Our beenie brains release them while we’re in the saddle. We all have fits without horses. I have a friend who’s headed to europe on a vacation of a lifetime. She’s beside herself that she won’t be able to ride for almost a month. Told her I might be able to handle that if I were going on her trip…Geeeesh

Tux, there are horses out there in your price range. Keep looking. It will take time and you will probably just stumble across one. Can you get your hands on California Horsemen? They have lots of ads in there.

AAJumper makes note to self: Do not drink Snapple Iced Tea before bed.

Oh my, SuaveReno…and to think I complained about my 35 mile drive downtown!