Unlimited access >

California Chrome?

i am not talking about the core of the people who post on the “chromie” page. I am referring to the collective mentality behind what they say and why they say it. Don’t like what they say; well guess what; that is the collective mentality behind animal rights groups who are armed and ready to take down your industry. There is no rationale, no education, no hands on experience behind their logic. But in the end; they will win. Don’t believe me? Then why does PETA have their hands in the recent racing legislation occurring in California?

5 Likes

your observations are correct. How many animal rights activists have any first hand experience on the industries they protest? Zero.

Exactly. The point is not “Is this specific tantrum going to cause legal changes”, it’s “Are these screaming whining people who think the poor horsie is abused going to attract the ones RUNNING the legal assaults, who are smart enough to see potential recruits with time, money, and the willingness to look like fools on the internet?” The answer is yes. They aren’t the ones writing the plan, they’re the useful idiots the Stalins and Lenins of the AR movement are going to use when they need petition signatures and free publicity.

[I apologize to Lenin and Stalin for the insulting comparison, but they’d probably agree the ‘useful idiot’ descriptor works here.]

1 Like

Yeah but there are actual legit issues in Racing, some self afflicted, that can, and have been protested by PETA but Chromies aren’t interested in them or any other horse. They have a speshul, personal relationship with CC and that is their extent of involvement.

1 Like

They are trying but won’t succeed in getting radical legislation passed. Apparently they are a little lacking in their knowledge of procedure. https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac…-in-california

give them time.

I think you are underestimating the economic realities in many states, especially in Kentucky. Legislators often have legal backgrounds and won’t pass PETA legislation that will obviously not stand up in court.

Some things may change, race day medication for example, but I think your prediction about the collapse of the industry because of chromies or PETA is premature.

1 Like

Plus racing contributes a lot of money to the states both directly and peripherally. It would be a very hard thing for a lot of them to give up.

Gambling revenues are huge. Maybe somebody can look up what the various state’s cut of Pari mutual wagering is over the year. It’s mind boggling.

Is it wrong to admit that while reading all of this, I laughed so much I wet my pants. Which started me coughing > laughing harder> breaking wind loud enough to scare my cat into full blown fluffy-tailism.

3 Likes

you can follow CC on their twitter page.
they post quite often.
https://mobile.twitter.com/js_compan…376264705?s=21

I certainly hope that the Coburns are not behind the rediculous California Chromes Home (aka Bring Chrome Home) comments. The petty posts and threats are a black eye on the entire equine industry.

I don’t think so. I believe it’s yet another wacko “fan” who still doesn’t know much about horses–despite having that particular page for years. She’s the one who raised such a fuss when Chrome went to England and then was flown back as “baggage.”

I will have to agree and add that racing and breeding thoroughbreds are not the only targets. As a 4-H parent of children who not only bred and trained their very own dressage horses, I find the entire situation a threat to horse owners in general. Fortunately, my children are teens and accept bullying as a part of life.

Here I must say that I admire Perry and Denise Martin because they stood firm and continue to thrive in the midst of an anti horse campaign. Taylor Made Stallions could not have been better partners. Together they gave Chrome the best chance at immortality.

1 Like

A couple of the page administrators accidentally outed their Los Alamitos group a little while ago. The source profile is apparently a fake or simply a front. The vanity is very real and to me sounds more like jealousy than crazy. Why in the world would anyone sell a multi-million dollar champion racehorse to a person or a group who claims to have attended a race at most one time? It does not sound as if the welfare of the horse comes first to this group. They enjoy the soap opera, and … well, sometimes, sometimes so do we.

It is bizarre that they iterated their deep hurt that Duncan Taylor nor Perry Martin messaged their anonymous Facebook profile to ask them to purchase Chrome. As funny as it is on the surface it does correspond to a societal inability to discern the line between reality and fantasy.

Heard CCs sale price was in the mid teens. Don’t get why they feel he was dumped into an inferior position with foreigners without consulting them. Don’t get much about them, and they could have bought him as could anybody else with that fat a checkbook.

I came across this link to a really well-written article about California Chrome which contains a bit of fascinating insight into the horse industry. “International Male” is a piece with current information found in American Racehorse Magazine. If you have the chance it’s worth the read.

https://issuu.com/southernracehorse/docs/winter2020/20

Well, that part of society’s inability anyway. I think most people have a better grip on reality than do the Chromie facebook weepers. Everyone that I know, for instance. :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is interestig to me is that the industry bloggers feed into the Bring Chomes Home hysteria.