Unlimited access >

Can you take me riding? - a cranky rant

Call me crabby (I am), but I am SO TIRED of people asking me to take them trail riding or to come ride my horses. First lets break this request down into 3 categories.

#1 - Please take me trail riding. I don’t know how to ride but I’ve always wanted to gallop a horse through the woods. You have two so you can ride with friends - it’s not like you can ride two at once- why can’t you take me?

#2 - My kids are just CRAZY about horses. Would it really hurt to just “pop” them on when you’re at the barn next? I know you’re there a lot and it would really mean the world to them.

#3 - I have horses and know how to ride. But I can’t ride them because (insert excuse for shite behavior here) and I need confidence. You have two horses anyways can I please ride yours?

Backstory here. Yes I have 2 horses.
I am very active on social media with my horsey adventures. Most of my riding is riding out, riding on crazy terrain, mounted views from mountain lookouts, crossing rivers, swimming, galloping on river beaches. Sometimes it’s bareback riding, sometimes even bridleless. With the odd show or XC clinic sprinkled in for reminding myself to be civilized.
One of the highlight posts I made this year was a picture, where I was riding my horse into a big crystal clear river from the white sand beach, bareback, wearing nothing but my birthday suit. Photo was from the side rear, couldn’t see anything offensive except my long hair and a bum cheek… and some very loud tan lines LOL. And yes, I swam my horse down the river like that. Experience of a lifetime. And a serious social media reaction!

People see this and they want to do it too. They assume that my horses are dead broke, safe, and that just anyone can hop on and do this.
Not the case. My horses are actually quite hot , because I DO ride like a maniac across varied terrain, down hills, and over downfall. They want to move out. If you put your leg on them you will absolutely get a reaction because they don’t ask questions - they just DO IT. Quickly if you’ll allow it. And they expect a confident and capable rider to be up top to guide them. Also they are both mares - 'nuff said. No, they are not beginner friendly.

I do not keep two horses so that other people can ride with me. My horses are my PERSONAL JOURNEY in life. The social media posts are me sharing that journey, in the hope that it can encourage others to do the same. On their own dime. With their own hard work.
I immerse myself deeply into equestrianism and successfully keep 2 horses going due to the extreme amount of time and work invested.

And last but not least: my horses were not purchased this way. They either came unbroke, or were purchased off the racetrack. It took a lot of training, experience, time, and risk to create these animals. So I do not want people riding them who have allowed their own horses to become unsafe, unruly and unrideable to come sit on mine.
The problem is YOU!! Go get lessons! Get a trainer!

And at the end of the day this all bothers me because I’m a people pleaser. I do not like saying no! It makes me feel very guilty and very pressured. Which in turn makes me cranky.
And I don’t know how to explain these concepts to people who don’t understand. Or that will be offended by my explanation.
How do you guys deal with it?

20 Likes

Ours are all OTTB’s. I usually tell people that while they are bombproof that any horse can spook. When talking about TB’s, if they spook they are extremely quick. It’s not a speed issue but a quick issue. Also, I don’t have the big western saddles they are thinking about.

6 Likes

Drives me absolutely nuts as well. Franky, IDC if I have a beginner-safe horse or not. Don’t ask to ride my horses. You don’t pay for them. You don’t care for them.

(I always note how no one ever asks for a paid lesson. They just want to come ride for free.)

It’s simple. Don’t ask to stay a week at my house uninvited. Don’t ask to ride my horses uninvited. Period. Rude.
If I’m okay with letting someone ride, I will invite them to ride.

17 Likes

You sound like someone I would love to ride with! But I’ll bring my own horse and snacks, don’t worry.

For this, the advice often given here is: NO is a full sentence.

21 Likes

Tell them you can’t due to insurance policies.

Not horses anymore, but I get it with dog training all the time.
Asking if they can just drop pookie off for a quick obedience session/refresher or drop in for a training session.
I have a nice kennel setup, why can’t I watch their dog when they go on vacation….
I gave up trying to explain anything to those people anymore. Now I just tell them I can’t due to my insurance policies. They don’t typically keep pushing after that.

19 Likes

I was told off by Mum for letting an instructor on my horse. Why did you let her get on?

Because she was an instructor.

Pepper woukdnt halt, so she got on him and literally took him backwards up the arena and back again.

Mum was livid. She told me noone rides our horses. Even if the Queen asks to get on, the answer is no.

10 Likes

Absolute best reply.

12 Likes

I’ve had people pull into the drive and tell me that they have ridden before.

:rofl: :rofl:

BIG DIFFERENCE between ‘have ridden’ and ‘can ride!’

8 Likes

People stopped asking me to do things with my horses while I had my hot, hot, hot Hackney pony. Sure, there was room in the cart for two people (two very squished people), but I couldn’t guarantee that he wouldn’t bolt and head for places unknown. That scared everyone away, which was fine with me. He gave me a few small heart attacks, but somehow we always survived.

Many years before that, I’d had an appy mix boarded at a barn that was visible from a major road. A woman with whom I worked started stopping by with her young kids when she saw my car there. I got rid of her by telling her she needed to sign a release–she wanted no part of that. Maybe it was because I told her “this is for when one of the horses injures you or your kids–it says you can’t sue.” The BO didn’t actually require it of anyone who wasn’t riding there, and it’s not like I would have let her go out into the pasture anyway, but the coworker didn’t know that.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and I was down to one retired driving pony (not the Hackney) living in a pasture in South Carolina. My neighbor said she could come with me the next time I went to the barn. This was out of the blue with absolutely no invitation from me. I was flabbergasted. No, that’s my time with my pony, not time with someone who will talk my ear off, distract me and annoy the crap out of me. I never departed from “No, I can’t do that” and she finally quit asking.

The only people who ever came to that barn with me were family. My daughter and her wonderful close friend came out to see the pony when they were visiting. The friend was in vet school, the pony was glad to see my daughter (originally he was hers) and he really liked her friend. I tried to tell him the friend was studying to be the lady with the needle, but he didn’t listen. That was an entirely different thing than taking some acquaintance (whom I didn’t really like) out there. It was a peaceful visit and I was glad to share my happy place with both of them.

My husband would come very occasionally during shedding season. The pony grew a yak coat in winter, even in South Carolina, and I didn’t have the hand strength or dexterity to give him a good grooming when he was shedding. DH would get all the hair off, scratch all the itchy spots, but otherwise I went out alone to enjoy my pony’s last years.

After the pony died, I was glad I never gave in to pressure to bring anyone else out there.

Rebecca

12 Likes

I get this all the time too.

I have two responses: one, I refer them to the riding school down the road, explaining they have suitable horses, a suitable facility and liability insurance and two, I ask if they’re willing to help with farm chores or pay for shoes or hay.

Usually that ends it. If pressed, I will say that my horses aren’t suitable. If someone presses the issue and tells me how much they used to ride; I’ll go back to answer one, and say if the riding school judges them competent to ride out with me on my horses, we can talk.

PS - the local riding school would never tell anyone that unless it was actually, factually true.

14 Likes

Hubby’s sister when we were engaged. Isn’t it about time you get rid of the horses.

I have had Pepper for 20 years. You have had your daughter for 7 years, your son for only 5 years. I think you should get rid of them.

Later she decided that it would be great for her daughter to ride for free. I took a photo album of our horses. Her daught started looking at it. Her neighbour friend she saw every day came over, she went to play with her neighbour, she was not interested in horses. She did not want to come so we did not take her.

At a family party she asked very loudly to embarrass me. Why can’t my daughter come and ride your horses.

I was heaps louder, because when she is lying bleeding on the ground you will blame me.

Hubby was not happy with me!

Hubby got taken off with Pepper. Arms above and behind his shoulders. Me yelling put your hands down, take your legs off him.

He wasn’t going to take his legs off because he would fall. As they approached the 90° turn to our gate, he thought I wonder what will happen if I take my legs off. Pepper stopped.

My husband does not swear.

I catch up, hop off and take the reins.

How was that?

It was bumpy.

That was not bumpy that was a gallop. Trot is bumpy.

Was Mark right?

Mark told him if he got on a horse and galloped up the hill he would then be able to ride.

F**** Mark.

Are you letting your niece get on our horses.

NO F###### WAY.

11 Likes

You’re under no obligation to subsidize someone’s horse hobby.

Hell, when I had a very small, docile, 100% kid-friendly fluffy chihuahua, it would truthfully annoy me when I was walking her when parents would ask their kids to pet her–SHE was fine with it, and there was almost zero risk, but often I didn’t feel like hanging around a bunch of kids for 15 minutes on a quick poop walk so they could get their dog fix.

Getting a person without riding experience on a horse is a major production and risk.

People are super-weird about horses, dogs, and swimming pools this way.

17 Likes

This sounds awesome. Will you please share it.

PS I will not ask to ride your horse.

20 Likes

Can we see the pic!! sounds like a bucket list moment.

15 Likes

Y’all wanna see my bare arse? Will I get in trouble? lol

8 Likes

I dont think anyone has ever asked me to ride my horses.

I haven’t had this issue too much, thankfully. But have had my own father offer up my horses (who does not pay for and does not interact with) to small child family members and small children of friends. None of my horses have ever been child or beginner friendly, and nearly all have been intimidating (size and presence) on the ground to non horse people. I offer them to feed treats over the fence as a compromise which is often well received.

My one weird story was when I was ponying my young (2-3 yr old) OTTB off my other TB on the road in our neighborhood area and a woman came running out of her house to tell me how she had horses decades ago and would love to ride again and I can let her know the next time I’m going out because she will help me exercise my horses :woman_facepalming::no_good_woman: I just laughed it off and kept moving. No strange lady who I’ve never met or seen before in my life, you are not going to invite yourself to ride my horses.

13 Likes

Yes, this is so awkward. Would you ask to borrow your friend’s expensive sportscar for a day? Of course not.

I just tell people, “I’m sorry, no, that’s not possible. I don’t have a horse that is suitable for guests.” Many people make these requests out of ignorance or a failure to consider their words before speaking. I sometimes explain to people that horses aren’t like cars, and that many horses react poorly to new riders. I also keep the contact info for a local lesson barn on hand for instances where that is appropriate.

FWIW, if someone reacts poorly to you setting this very reasonable boundary–however you choose to set it–that gives you a lot of information about that person. People who don’t respect your decisions, your time, or your property, well, those are probably not relationships to waste too much time worrying about.

Like you, I put my fair share of photos of fun horse activities and my beautiful farm on social media. It’s hard for people to realize that those glamorous days of competing, hunting or trail riding are but tiny cherries on top of all the money and hard work that it takes to care for, maintain and train horses. After I’ve spent all winter slogging through the mud hauling hay and feed, fixing fence and changing muddy horse blankets I have no desire to spend my free time on a sunshiney day giving free riding lessons, doing farm tours or supervising pony petting visits, and I don’t feel guilty for that.

24 Likes

My dad asked if “Maybe my niece and nephew could ride a horse” while everyone is in town for my wedding. The wedding…that is here on the farm…where everyone is coming in Thursday/Friday and leaving Sunday/Monday.

I said I’d think about it. But honestly there is just going to be too much mayhem…

7 Likes

A real horse person would never ask to ride a stranger’s horse. Someone asking me that tells me all I need to know about their horse experience

33 Likes