Charlotte withdrawing from Olympics?

Me too please. TIA

Listen, I pony kicked my horse ONE time the other day and felt terrible about it instantly.

I know you posted this comment before the video was released, but after seeing the video, I know FULL WELL I would’ve felt guilty after the first strike of the lunge whip. She. Kept. GOING.

14 Likes

Not if this was business as usual.

Business as usual.

7 Likes

Clearly you haven’t been playing with really good quality longe whips. They can leave a damned long welt if you accidentally (or purposely :frowning: ) whack instead of flicking or brushing or cracking/whistling behind the horse.

19 Likes

Spot on!

2 Likes

I hate the Canadian geese that land in the pastures pooping on everything and I will run out there like a lunatic cracking the lunge whip to get them to fly away (not hitting them though) and I have accidentally whipped myself, it HURTS!

15 Likes

Me too. I have a slow to move PSSM horse and after two requests for trot I do whack with the stick. Once. Then transition down and do it again and don’t need the stick. We’ve ALL made mistakes and gotten angry. At least most of us. But
to whip and whip and whip. I still cannot believe Charlotte would do such a thing but there it is and thank GOD for Steve Jobs and video on our phones.

I’m done. I can’t go to QH Congress because I cannot watch how the pleasure people treat those beautiful horses. It’s no different.

13 Likes

Every time these videos surface and get discussed on here I wonder how many of you have ever been at an upper level barn. Admittedly, I am from H/J land and reside in the horse capital of the world, Wellington. I have seen horse abuse at every single barn I have boarded at that had seasonal clients. Every. Single. One. So the above comment about business as usual is probably correct. Do I think she beats horses at every ride? No. But she isn’t the first trainer who takes out her frustration on a horse. Not by a long shot. In the past I have taken my frustrations out on a horse and I can admit it. I am in no way saying this behavior is ok, ever. But to live in this fantasy world some of you guys live in to say this doesn’t ever happen is a farce.

48 Likes

Yes I spent many years at a top barn and have worked for/ with a lot of the BN dressage trainers. I have seen poor personal behavior from some of them, I have seen some be much harder on horses than I would be but I have NEVER witnessed any of them doing something like this.

9 Likes

Well this just makes me sad. That was really awful to see. I do question why you would wait until NOW to release this if your true concern is for the welfare of the animal. I think disappointed is a better word than sad. Sad for the horse, disappointed in a human.

6 Likes

Also, don’t we constantly hear the message that you must be teachable, don’t disrespect the trainer, etc etc etc. There’s always been a culture of “don’t question, just do what you’re told” in many sports.

22 Likes

Have you reported any of it?

6 Likes

I read that the client that sent in the video was Alicia Dickinson from Your Riding Succes
 anyone know if this is true?

Horses don’t really understand kindness.

Edit for clarification because people keep (intentionally, IMO) misinterpreting this: Obviously, horses understand when they are doing something they like or don’t like. They don’t understand things like favors or complex generosity. They do understand intent, to an extent.

They aren’t nice to each other. They do understand fairness. I have cracked a young and emotional or disobedient horse in the butt or even the shoulder when it was a matter of safety. For example, on the longe line. You might have to do it twice on a particularly testy horse. I didn’t feel good about it when I did it or even right before I did it. But it was fair and I didn’t have to do it again.

24 times when the horse clearly doesn’t understand what’s being expected? Not fair.

The rider is holding the horse back and I think Charlotte is trying to get him forward. I’m sure she was frustrated with rider and took it out on the horse instead. Not an excuse. Teach the rider to allow the horse to go forward. What is the rush?

39 Likes

I do question why you would wait until NOW to release this if your true concern is for the welfare of the animal.

Answered by the lawyer in this article (he also disputes CDJ’s claim that it was 4 years ago, which would’ve been during COVID lockdown, and says according to client it was 2.5 yrs ago): https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/charlotte-dujardin-lawyer-clarifies-key-points-864795

Excerpt:
Many equestrian fans, and others, have questioned the timing of the release of the video, so close to the Paris Olympics where Charlotte may have become Britain’s most medal-winning female athlete.

“At the time [the video was recorded] my client was thinking this must be normal,” he said. “Then there was some doubt and she began thinking this isn’t okay. She spoke with a few people in the dressage industry who warned her not to do anything because they’ll come after you.

“She was also afraid of victim-blaming so she didn’t do anything with it. But then two other riders were suspended, so she became a little braver.

“Then a few weeks ago she hired me as her lawyer to submit a formal complaint to the FEI. But she was still doubting whether or not it was the right decision for a few reasons.

“First of all, it’s not that she’s celebrating this and drinking champagne, she’s aware there’s a human aspect to this story. The other thing is that she was afraid the FEI wouldn’t take her seriously. It’s not easy to make a step like this.”

Mr Wensing described comments suggesting that the timing of the complaint was designed to sabotage Britain’s medal hopes as “ridiculous”.

“If she wanted to release this at the worst possible time, she would have done it during or after the Olympics. That would’ve been the worst scenario for the British team – at least now they have an alternate that can come in and it doesn’t harm them that much."

8 Likes

Oh gosh, that’s amazing and thanks so much for getting the right link shared - and for writing a wonderful article! It was something I shared on my own FB page closer to when you originally wrote it, as it really resonated with me at the time and still does. (Sorry about the link, I guess I’m not nearly as social media-savvy as I could be
)

I would love to connect and pick your brain sometime if you’d be interested - you do some R+ with horses, right?

2 Likes

A lot of us (myself included) in this thread have recounted stories of witnessing behavior from upper level trainers that was inappropriate. How many of us have reported it? And moreover, until the Helgstrand and Cesar Parra incidents, who would we have reported it to and what would have been done? It is a very, very recent development to see dressage organizations taking action based on what happens in a private barn on a video - and I am happy to see the change.

13 Likes

This is not fair, appropriate or even effective dressage training, despite if CD is using a hand made custom whip or one from Tractor Supply. You say you aren’t trying to justify the behavior but I can’t think what else this would be.

18 Likes

The lawyer and the client can say whatever they would like to say and I’m not saying they shouldn’t have done this but they cannot claim that it’s about the welfare of horses and then sit on it for 2.5 years. Surely, in those 2.5 years the thought must have come to the client that this was not right. That’s a long time. I’m not saying that it didn’t need to come to light as it surely did but I am questioning the timing of it all.

12 Likes

That’s what I start thinking. This shit is going on in every barn pretty much isn’t it? Wow.

8 Likes