Unlimited access >

Chasing Time (Race Hunter ‘19)

Here is the link to the replay. Race 11 starts at about 16:40.

2 Likes

Not the best of breaks & we already knew he wasn’t going to be quick out of the gate.
He ran a bit green, but seem to handle it all well.
I put this under “great learning experiences”.
With him getting going a bit better towards the last 1/3 of the race, I’m hoping they try him in something with a bit more distance.

5 Likes

Thanks for the video. Not too bad for first time out. He was starting to come on a bit at the end. Hopefully he’ll do better next time.

1 Like

Looking again, he really had to go wide in the final eighth or so. It appears he had some momentum but a wall of horses in front.

1 Like

Yep.
I realize some people expect a rockstar right from first time out, this isn’t the reality for most 1st runners.
I thought he did very respectable.
He seems like a very well minded colt & should have learned a lot from this, as have his connections.

1 Like

I just caught the replay. I am so proud of our baby racehorse! I am super encouraged by that performance.

4 Likes

I believe that Chasing Time was the only MRH horse racing today. I think no MRH horses tomorrow.

Next weekend’s opener at Santa Anita has the larger cast of MRH horses :slight_smile: (but none of the babies that I am aware of).

I caught a video that MRH made with some “owners” talking to the jock and trainer about Search Engine’s race last weekend. I don’t know why they posted the video as it seemed to me to be mostly questioning from one of the owner with the implication of why didn’t Search Engine win… sigh.

Yup, we all want them to win every race but I think most of us are realist enough to know that babies don’t always win their first race. I’d rather see a race like Chasing Time had today where he had to work through kickback, he had to run behind a wall of horses and learn to move out, he had to learn to get moving (maybe not as fast as we’d like). He did all that… he didn’t wilt at the kickback and quit running, he didn’t swerve all over the place, he tried to move up but just got tired. I was happy with the race experience for him. Oh, and I forgot, wasn’t stupid behind the gate and loaded and stood nicely before the race; I’ll take that any day, I hate to see a horse run his race before the gates even open.

Asmussen knows now the holes he needs to work on for Chasing Time’s next race :slight_smile:

7 Likes

CDI controls their “product”. It would be prohibitively expensive for MRH to buy the rights to stream a race.

1 Like

While what WMW said is true, it is also true that the toughest 2yo MSW races of the year are those at SAR and the CD and KEE fall meets.

1 Like

I think one of the talking heads on TVG said the same thing. These fall MSWs can be very tough as the 2YOs are really starting to come into their own and more and more are hitting the track to show their potential.

Different horse but Iron Works, who was originally slated for Baffert but is now in Pletcher’s barn, was shipped from farm where he has been on extended rehab following a P1 chip removal to Belmont. After a month at Belmont with works, Pletcher has shipped him to Gulfstream Park with the hope he will make his debut at Gulfstream later this year. I sure thought that was an interesting choice of words… why only a month at Belmont and then ship him to Gulfstream with the “hope” he’ll debut later this year… left me scratching my head at all the things left unsaid.

Maybe he’s (Iron Works) going through a growth spurt? As we know, they can be like kids in early puberty - some adapt to growing bodies more gracefully than others. Just a guess…

MRH reports that Chasing Time jogged sound for the vet this morning (Asmussen has all of his horses vet-checked the morning after a race) and everything seems to be in good order. :slight_smile:

I would love to know what they call him around the barn.

3 Likes

A Mo Reay sure appears smaller than Jester Calls Nojoy.

Will be interesting see which way Todd is leaning after checking A Mo Reay over after her work today.

I looked at Chasing Time’s Facebook page and now I’m getting all sorts of comments from it. Don’t know whether I want to keep getting it, but if the part of the problem with horse racing was lack of new enthusiasts, then MRH seems to be solving that problem. Lots of shareholders showed up to cheer him on–and it seems that quite a few of them also have shares in many other of MRH’s offerings. However, I noted that one of the MRH’s offerings was recently claimed–and a lot of people were really PO’d, so it’s introducing a lot of people to racing, both the good and the bad.

I’m looking forward to that next start. I’ve heard (don’t know if it’s true or not) that the first start the colt doesn’t know what’s going on. By the next start they do know and some can become somewhat of a handful with their anticipation.

That’s very true. Before a first start a racehorse will have galloped on the track, breezed in company (usually one, occasionally two other horses), practiced breaking from the gate, and schooled in the paddock. But all of that is done in an easy, low pressure way so they can get fit and learn what will be expected of them.

There’s no way to really duplicate the race situation except to do it. The paddock is crowded and other horses will often be on edge. There are people milling all around and sometimes big crowds. The race itself can have up to a dozen entries who all break from the gate together with the starters yelling as they send them on. The last time a TB will have raced in a group that size when when he/she was loose in a pasture as a yearling. So even though they’ve been “practicing” for a long time to get to that first race, it will all feel different.

Most TBs thrive on the excitement and the challenge. When they come back for their second race, they’ll know what’s coming so they’ll be on their toes and ready to go. That’s when things start to get interesting.

6 Likes

You can adjust your notifications so you get all the posts, just certain highlight posts, or none at all.
I have mine set to “none” for all of my MRH/individual horse pages & just go to the page whenever I want to see updates/posts.

Which horse was this? I haven’t seen/read anything about it, so assuming it’s not one I have a share in.

Mo Mischief, one of the 3YOs. People seemed to be outraged about the fact he was even running in a claiming race, not seeming to understand that most horses run in claiming races, before he was even actually claimed. Whoever claimed him got a pretty decent deal.

2 Likes

He was claimed for $25,000 on 9/24.

I know many horses run in claimers but this one was a bit of a surprise to me. The 24th was his 5th lifetime start. The other four starts were all MSW, two at Saratoga, two at Belmont. $50,205 lifetime earnings.

However, his 2020 starts were Saratoga in July August then he had 12 months off before Monmouth Park this year in July/August followed by the claimer a few days ago at Belmont. Something going on that the owner may have been told about but didn’t register with the uninformed…

Maybe MRH/Spendthrift decided it was time to move him on nearing the end of his 3YO year and perhaps not much stud potential.

I think sometimes MRH has their hands full with people who think they know horse racing but in actual fact, no they don’t :joy:

1 Like

I read somewhere (don’t remember) that there were 5 claims put in on him.