Unlimited access >

ClipClopNYC '14 is officially on hold

[QUOTE=suz;7177077]
you guys need to get on the ellen show somehow.
maybe we can flood the ellen show with letters and she could do a holiday segment on carriage rides with Portia.[/QUOTE]

Ellen is sadly with conviction pro PETA and HSUS 110 percent. She was PETAs Women of the year in 2009 and is a vegan. Not that you can’t enjoy horses and be one but I bet the margin is very thin.

[QUOTE=Lynnwood;7177086]
Ellen is sadly with conviction pro PETA and HSUS 110 percent. She was PETAs Women of the year in 2009 and is a vegan. Not that you can’t enjoy horses and be one but I bet the margin is very thin.[/QUOTE]

wonder how she squares that peta stance with Portia’s riding?
too sad, I had no idea she was a puppet for them.

[QUOTE=stolen virtue;7177080]
And based on the hostility expressed on this forum of anyone who would question the Carriage Horse Industry, that is one steep hill to climb. Sometimes I think some of the posters claiming to be pro-carriage, might be working for the other side based on the rudeness and hostility in their posts…[/QUOTE]

You were/are hostile first.
Sorry, Miss Stalker Pants.

[QUOTE=suz;7177055]
where the hell are the people with money and horses?
the bloomberg girl? Christie Brinkley?
and all of the hamptons and dutchess county polo and show people who live and vote in the city.
we need to light a fire under THEIR asses! cuz it’s all about money as usual.[/QUOTE]

Steve Nislick works the swells at the Hampton Classic every year; in partnership with the ASPCA, he holds a “Horse Welfare Panel”, which is solely about the carriages of NYC. Here is Steve Nislick with actress Aida Turturro, one of his celeb panelists. There is an entire album here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=250944614950482&set=pb.182687031776241.-2207520000.1379471339.&type=3&theater

…and holds fundraisers with its subset:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nyclass/sets/72157630610848386/

There is an actual photo of him with Christie Brinkley at the HC (I cannot find it right now); do not know if she is a supporter or not - more than a few people have ended up on his Supporters list without their knowledge - NY Post columnist Cindy Adams was enraged to find he added her name, and demanded he take it off. Georgina Bloomberg was originally neutral; she has now gone over to their side, albeit in a lukewarm way.

Here is a partial list of celeb and equestrian supporters:

CELEBRITIES, ENTERTAINMENT AND MEDIA
Kirstie Alley, Actress
Pamela Anderson, Actress & Model
Tom Allon, Manhattan Media
Cindi Avila, Chef & Anchor, NY1
Alec Baldwin, Actor
Talia Balsam, Actress
Zoe Barracano, Artist
John Bartlett, Fashion Designer
David Barton, Fitness Mogul
Jackie Kelman Bisbee, Producer, Park Pictures
Chris Boals, Artist
Lorenzo Borghese, Royal Treatment Italian Pet Spa
Lady Bunny, Actress
Sophia Bush, Actress
Kristin Chenoweth, Actress
Tom Cohen, Executive Producer, Cash Cab
Olivia Culpo, Miss Universe
Vincent Curatola, Actor
Billy Ray & Tish Cyrus
Ron Delsener, Chairman, Live Nation - NY
Bo Derek, Actress
Wendy Diamond, Founder & Editor, Animal Fair Magazine
Lonneke Engel, Model
Giancarlo Esposito, Actor
Eli N. Evans, Author
Nacho Figueras, Polo Champion, Model
Melissa Foss, Beauty Director, Natural Health Magazine
Rory Freedman, Author
Cornelia Guest, Entrepreneur
Amy Hatkoff, Author
Jane Hamilton, Thomson Reuters
Chelsea Handler, Comedienne
Jack Hidary
Anjelica Huston, Actress
Tracey Jackson, Author
Joan Jett, Musician
Kristen Johnston, Emmy Award Winning Actress
Joonbug Media
Carol Kane, Actress
Carole King, Signer/Songwriter
Calvin Klein, Designer
David Klasfeld, Founder, Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics
Joanna Krupa, Model
Ellen Kuras, Cinematographer & Director
Kenny Laguna, Music and Film Producer
Elyse Luray, Historian & Television Personality
Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, Grammy Award winning songwriters
Dina Manzo, Designer and Television Personality
Debi Mazar, Actress
Mary and Peter Max, Artists and Activists
John McEnroe
Nellie McKay, Singer-Songwriter
Debra Messing, Actress
Jillian Michaels
Lea Michele, Actress
Victoria Moran, Life & Health Coach, Author
Olivia Munn, Actress
Kathy Najimy, Actress
Martina Navratilova
Sharon Needles
Willie Nelson, Signer/Songwriter
Todd Oldham, Designer
Kimberly Ovitz, Fashion Designer
Simone Reyes, Activist, Fashionista
Randall
Richie Rich
Leesa Rowland, Actress
Chuck & Ellen Scarborough
Alicia Silverstone, Actress
Angela Simmons, Designer
Russell Simmons, Entrepreneur
Jeremy Sisto, Actor & Addie Lane, Equestrienne
John Slattery, Actor
Patty Smyth
Chance Spiessbach, Producer, ChanceTV
Will Torres, Fitness Expert
Aida Turturro, Actress
Liv Tyler, Actress
Dr. Belisa Vranich, Clinical Psychologist, Author
Johnny Weir-Voronov, Olympic Figure Skater
Todd Weiser, Discovery Channel (Animal Planet)
Kaki West, Model
Kate Winslet, Actress
Susan Yager, Author
Chuck Zito, Actor
l

ANIMAL WELFARE & EQUESTRIAN
Georgina Bloomberg, Equestrienne
Shanette Barth Cohen, Hampton Classic Horse Show, Inc.
Chris DeRose, President & Founder, Last Chance for Animals
R Scot Evans, Equine Public Relations Consultant, Commentator
Jane Hoffman, President, Mayor’s Alliance for NYC’s Animals
Joe Fargis, 2-time Olympian, American Show Jumping Champion
Michael Godfrey, Former U.S. Equestrian Team, Leading Breeder
Brianne Goutal, 2005 ASPCA Maclay National Champion
John G. Hynes, D.V.M., P.C. Veterinarian., HSVMA Member
Linda Lloyd Lambert, ASPCA Board Member
Wendy Lewis, Professional Trainer, Top U.S. Event Rider
Francesca Laurita D’Annunzio, Therapeutic Riding Instructor & Animal Welfare Advocate
Elizabeth “Beezie” Madden, Olympic Equestrian Gold Medalist
John Madden, Olympic Horse Trainer; Owner, John Madden Sales
Linda Marcus, Equestrian
Anna McKnight, Professional Equestrian
Doug Payne, Professional Equestrian, Founder-DP Equestrian LLP
Marilyn Payne, “S” Dressage Judge; 2008 Olympic Judge
John Phillips, Vote Humane
Morgan Rowsell, Leading Event Course Designer
Virginia Jenkins Rowsell, Top Event Rider in United States, Professional Trainer
Ed Sayres, President and CEO, ASPCA
Sloan von Spiessbach, Equestrienne & Animal Welfare Advocate
Eva Usadi, EAGALA Certified Equine Assisted Therapist

[QUOTE=suz;7177077]
you guys need to get on the ellen show somehow.
maybe we can flood the ellen show with letters and she could do a holiday segment on carriage rides with Portia.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice, but Ellen is an ARA (don’t know if she is RadicalARA, but an ARA just the same)

[QUOTE=Alagirl;7177106]
You were/are hostile first.
Sorry, Miss Stalker Pants.[/QUOTE]

And I rest my case…

[QUOTE=stolen virtue;7177120]
And I rest my case…[/QUOTE]

Self fulfilling prophecy I suppose. :lol:
Walking into the room with a sourpuss face and disparaging remarks is not likely to make you any friends.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h96/Alagirl_photos/novirtue.png

[QUOTE=suz;7177096]
wonder how she squares that peta stance with Portia’s riding?
too sad, I had no idea she was a puppet for them.[/QUOTE]

She squares it the same way all the hypocrites do - “OK for me, but not for thee.”

[QUOTE=michaleenflynn;7177070]

…and really, of course, you are entitled to vote for anyone you please; but who you voted for not being germane to this thread, was it necessary to tell me that you voted for the person who is causing such upheaval in my life?[/QUOTE]

Well, aside from the fact that I have every right to tell you who I voted for, just as much as you have a right to tell me how much you love Christine Quinn, I think who I voted for is ABSOLUTELY germane to this argument.

I want to support carriage horses. I truly do, but if I can’t afford to live in NY, I won’t be around to support the fight to keep carriage horses and drivers in work. Perhaps if Quinn had focused a bit more on being progressive versus palling around with Bloomie (who, for the record, I think was a totally competent mayor), she would have earned my vote.

Let’s focus on how we can get your average, every day NYers to realize that you (the carriage horse drivers) are a lot like them—not wasting time petitioning celebrities who don’t give a damn.

[QUOTE=stolen virtue;7177080]
And based on the hostility expressed on this forum of anyone who would question the Carriage Horse Industry,[/QUOTE]

What’s your question?

[QUOTE=Tha Ridge;7177133]
Well, aside from the fact that I have every right to tell you who I voted for, just as much as you have a right to tell me how much you love Christine Quinn, I think who I voted for is ABSOLUTELY germane to this argument.

I want to support carriage horses. I truly do, but if I can’t afford to live in NY, I won’t be around to support the fight to keep carriage horses and drives in work. Perhaps Quinn had focused a bit more on being progressive versus palling around with Bloomie (who, for the record, I think was a totally competent mayor), she would have earned my vote.

Let’s focus on how we can get your average, every day NYers to realize that you (the carriage horse drivers) are a lot like them—not wasting time petitioning celebrities who don’t give a damn.[/QUOTE]

You have “every right” to say anything you want - I never questioned your “rights”. I also never, ever told anyone here “how much I love Christine Quinn.” The rest of what you just posted is internal NYC politics (which I will not comment on) - we all have our issues, and some of us are single issue voters.

Lots of people who do not live in NYC support the carriages - at this point actually, I don’t know if I could do what I do without that support.

I also never suggested here that we petition celebs.

Did you see my question about attending either ClipClop? I know for the first one you even offered your couch for an out-of-town attendee.

[QUOTE=michaleenflynn;7177135]
What’s your question?[/QUOTE]

My dear, you and your supporters just answered it !:winkgrin:

[QUOTE=Alagirl;7177124]
Self fulfilling prophecy I suppose. :lol:
Walking into the room with a sourpuss face and disparaging remarks is not likely to make you any friends.
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h96/Alagirl_photos/novirtue.png[/QUOTE]

OMG LOL

…and I am still civil to her :winkgrin:

[QUOTE=stolen virtue;7177140]
My dear, you and your supporters just answered it !:winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

You intimated that you “questioned” the carriage biz - I ask again, what is your specific question/concern/objection etc?

I think some of the equestrians aren’t aware that they are on the list. Eva, why don’t you post the list in the h/j, dressage and eventing forums. I’m sure they have friends on the forums if they aren’t there themselves. I suspect others don’t know they are on the list. Perhaps they could all be invited to tour the stables? I hope you reconsider holding Clip Clop – even if it’s just the tour and lunch, not the gala.

And my point is that support means nothing. Post on NYC forums and teach actual constituents about your cause, because right now you’re just preaching to the choir.

And no, I have not attended a ClipClop.

Have to agree with stolen virtue that the hostility (toward someone who’s pro-carriage horse, nonetheless) is weird and off-putting. Sheesh.

[QUOTE=Tha Ridge;7177152]
And my point is that support means nothing. Post on NYC forums and teach actual constituents about your cause, because right now you’re just preaching to the choir.

Have to agree with stolen virtue that the hostility (toward someone who’s pro-carriage horse, nonetheless) is weird and off-putting. Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

SV isn’t pro, she is anti Eva. To an interesting extend.

[QUOTE=stolen virtue;7177140]
My dear, you and your supporters just answered it !:winkgrin:[/QUOTE]

In this case I am not Eva’s supporter but on the Troll Patrol. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Tha Ridge;7177152]

Have to agree with stolen virtue that the hostility (toward someone who’s pro-carriage horse, nonetheless) is weird and off-putting. Sheesh.[/QUOTE]

Oh, that out-of-town support means everything - nobody has any idea just how much, and in what ways, and I cannot tip my hand here since I know the RARAs and Nislick’s lackeys are reading. But like I said - I could not do what I do without that support at this point.

I’d like to know where you saw hostility in any of my posts. I asked if it was necessary that you tell me you voted for the man who wants to essentially ruin my life; IOW, without putting too fine a point on it – I found it rude and hurtful.

It didn’t floor me or send me running off in tears, but I thought it unnecessary, and said so. I am a straightforward person. Perhaps it wouldn’t bother you if I, say, stated my vote for a candidate who wanted to abolish rent control and stood a very good chance of doing so (not saying you live in a rent controlled apartment, but if you did, as an example - and what will happen to me and my family will be much, much worse in this analogy)

Anyway, it was a minor comment, borne of a wince - certainly does not merit anyone being put off or weirded out.

The old switch-a-roo

When Juliet, a carriage horse in NYC collapsed and died, she was wearing Rusty’s tags. iAnd it was reported that Rusty had died. Then of course the truth came out. Mare died wearing gelding’s tags and it was not discovered until AFTER she was dead. So much for inspections.

Kind of like that horse this summer in Utah. When Jerry collapsed and was hauled off to die, the carriage people presented another grey horse as Jerry. I think they switched a mare for the dead gelding. When I saw the pix of the 2nd horse, it was obvious comparing the pix to the video of the dying Jerry being lifted at the barn and taken into the barn to die, that the mare was not Jerry. Thank God someone followed the dying horse to the barn and videotaped him being hauled around.

Some farriers, not mine, rasp the outer layer of the hoof so that it looks good. I presume that rasping would remove any “branding” of the hoof. And I know that acrylics make wonderful hooves, my farrier used acrylics to make wonderful hooves on my shelly hoofed horse years ago so that he could keep his shoes on. All one has to do is put on acrylics over a “brand” if that is what is used for identification of a carriage horse, and then apply a new brand #. Except had would presume that horses are inspected on the street daily. Which of course they are not.

and they are stalled up on 2nd floors of buildings. So I presume fire is a huge hazard for horses in shavings with hay on upper floors in portable stalls lined up on each side the whole length of a building. Sprinklers are essential. Wasn’t Shamrock Stables on City property? And did’t the city require sprinkler system in its own building?