Unlimited access >

Dressage Bridles w/out Flash

Can anybody recommend a dressage bridle without a flash noseband? My guy likes it simple :smile: I’m curious about anatomical bridles, so bonus points if it’s along those lines, but doesn’t have to be!

Jeffries Gentle bridle: Premium Gentle Bridles (ejeffries.co.uk)

1 Like

Does the bridle have to be sold without a flash or is a bridle sold-with-removable flash acceptable? It seems like every bridle just automatically has a flash these days!

For a good balance between price, leather quality, and anatomical features I think Eponia is tough to beat. I’ve had my Eponia Ginger bridle for over five years and have been very happy with it. It is sturdy leather and took a bit to break in, but is now butter soft with a beautiful patina. I use it at home and for away clinics and shows and always get compliments.

I’m about to make a second order for my filly, but for this one in Smoky Quartz:

I also like the Kieffer Rachel, but it’s hard to find:
https://www.doversaddlery.com/kieffer-rachel-bridle/p/X1-120386/

(Both of these bridles come with fully removable flash - no hanging tab when the flash is off the bridle)

2 Likes

I like plain jumper snaffle bridles with no crank. Everything has a flash these days. They make useful all purpose leather straps for other purposes. I cut the tag loop off the nose band with an exacto knife.

3 Likes

Yup! Flashes are so useful for anything but what they were made for. :laughing:

I use them to bind my shipping boots together, one is being used as a grab strap between two d-rings of a saddle, one is being used to keep like-pairs of stirrups together, another was a quick fix for the attachment of a breastplate to d-ring also, etc.

5 Likes

Another Eponia rec over here! The hanging flash tab is such a pet peeve of mine, so I adore how it’s totally removable. Great bridle, great price, great customer service.

I like the Solo Equine Simplicity.

My simpleton type of guy has the Schockemohle Equitus Delta bridle and he loves it. No flash.

1 Like

Another vote for the Solo flashless.

I use a flash strap on the end of the English reins on my mechanical hackamore so mares can graze on trail rides without me having to lean way over. Western reins are long enough to do that but not English.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought rein extenders would be such a simple thing to make and so handy to have. Just a 10" or so strap with a buckle at one end and holes at the other.

Also, there’s this!

I was looking at this bridle with a completely removable flash last week. I am guessing the quality is on the lower side though - anyone have exp w Kavalcade bridles?

Another vote for Eponia. I have the Classic Anatomical with the wide noseband and it is simple and beautiful.

@eightpondfarm just bought that bridle and talked about it in another thread, may be worth giving them a ring and see what they think:

1 Like

Within about two months i bought four bridles…all different, all lower-to-middle cost…like 120-150. I also purchased a few nosebands and a couple of bling browbands to switch around. What i’m going to do some rainy day is pull them all apart and make ONE PERFECT bridle for my mare, paint it gray and put the new Equiture browband on it for her Sunday best bridle. Then i’ll assemble the other parts of the rest of them to use as everyday and training bridles for my other horses.
Leather quality=?? you get what you pay for i suppose.
I don’t have much expectation that the bridles are going to last a lifetime or anything…if i get five years out of them i’ll be happy. And once i put them into service, i’ll clean and oil them eventually and only then will i know how supple they’re going to be.

1 Like

Second the Eponia endorsement. The removable flash leaves no trace and the bridle is wonderful.

Ok @beowulf @Archer @catchcan I have emailed Eponia several questions and only received a reply once. Called and they never pick up, and haven’t replied to my VM. Can anyone tell me:

What’s their returns policy?
What color padding does the Skye bridle have?
What kind of reins does it come with?
How can I order hook stud ends vs buckles (they said hook stud sometimes available but didn’t say how to order)

Their Return Policy is on this page. I believe it has black padding based on the photos with a black patent noseband. I managed to get ahold of them via FB Messenger, they said the reins are leather/rubber & that the ends are buckle but they may be able to get hook stud ends. There’s a spot for adding a note about hook stud ends on your order, I hope that helps!

Edited to add more info as Eponia replied

Thank you! The pics I saw looked like silver padding. Oh well!

Kate Negus will make a bridle as you wish. The leather used is very good quality, either chestnut or black. Buckles, hooks, traditional or anatomical. You can build one to fit your horse and the way to measure the parts is explained on the website. She is used by many of the top UK riders. www.katenegus.com