Unlimited access >

Dressage Bridles w/out Flash

Another vote for the Solo flashless.

I use a flash strap on the end of the English reins on my mechanical hackamore so mares can graze on trail rides without me having to lean way over. Western reins are long enough to do that but not English.

3 Likes

I’ve always thought rein extenders would be such a simple thing to make and so handy to have. Just a 10" or so strap with a buckle at one end and holes at the other.

Also, there’s this!

I was looking at this bridle with a completely removable flash last week. I am guessing the quality is on the lower side though - anyone have exp w Kavalcade bridles?

Another vote for Eponia. I have the Classic Anatomical with the wide noseband and it is simple and beautiful.

@eightpondfarm just bought that bridle and talked about it in another thread, may be worth giving them a ring and see what they think:

1 Like

Within about two months i bought four bridles…all different, all lower-to-middle cost…like 120-150. I also purchased a few nosebands and a couple of bling browbands to switch around. What i’m going to do some rainy day is pull them all apart and make ONE PERFECT bridle for my mare, paint it gray and put the new Equiture browband on it for her Sunday best bridle. Then i’ll assemble the other parts of the rest of them to use as everyday and training bridles for my other horses.
Leather quality=?? you get what you pay for i suppose.
I don’t have much expectation that the bridles are going to last a lifetime or anything…if i get five years out of them i’ll be happy. And once i put them into service, i’ll clean and oil them eventually and only then will i know how supple they’re going to be.

1 Like

Second the Eponia endorsement. The removable flash leaves no trace and the bridle is wonderful.

Ok @beowulf @Archer @catchcan I have emailed Eponia several questions and only received a reply once. Called and they never pick up, and haven’t replied to my VM. Can anyone tell me:

What’s their returns policy?
What color padding does the Skye bridle have?
What kind of reins does it come with?
How can I order hook stud ends vs buckles (they said hook stud sometimes available but didn’t say how to order)

Their Return Policy is on this page. I believe it has black padding based on the photos with a black patent noseband. I managed to get ahold of them via FB Messenger, they said the reins are leather/rubber & that the ends are buckle but they may be able to get hook stud ends. There’s a spot for adding a note about hook stud ends on your order, I hope that helps!

Edited to add more info as Eponia replied

Thank you! The pics I saw looked like silver padding. Oh well!

Kate Negus will make a bridle as you wish. The leather used is very good quality, either chestnut or black. Buckles, hooks, traditional or anatomical. You can build one to fit your horse and the way to measure the parts is explained on the website. She is used by many of the top UK riders. www.katenegus.com

My bridle came with web reins with leather stops. I received buckle ends even though I ordered hook ends. Didn’t care enough to return it. It is still a beautiful bridle.

I believe there is silver piping on it, I thought it was the padding too!

1 Like

I have a Vespucci, purchased second hand, that I love. Very adjustable, no crank but still has the padding under the chin, and no flash.

https://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/VCDB.htm I believe it’s this one. Lots of retailers carry them.

1 Like

Another vote for the Solo Simplicity, and it’s on sale this weekend. You can buy the full bridle or just the noseband https://www.soloequine.com/search?q=not+tag%3A__gift+and+simplicity*&type=product%2Carticle%2Cpage

I’m in love with my Joseph Sterling petite dressage bridles from Schneider’s tack - retractable flash loop truly disappears and love the leather. Not even “for the price” - love the leather, period!

1 Like

Any chance you’d be willing to share a photo? I’ve heard good things about the bridle over the years but have never seen one “in the wild”

On my refined TB mare:). The bridles come with nice reins but I had Thinlines I use sometimes because my hands cramp on the skinnier ones…

2 Likes

Well I called Eponia twice and emailed three times. Only one reply. But with the return policy linked above I went ahead and ordered, and the Skye bridle came today. Very soft padding, nice enough leather, nice design and a suuuuuper bling browband! No silver piping though.

I asked for and received hook stud ends. And the smell of the bridle coming out of the box was perfect :slight_smile:

Update: for some reason I didn’t notice at first that they sent hook stud cheeks and buckle end reins. Gah. Will try to rectify.

2nd update: despite saying they had hook stud ends via pre order email communication, the reply is now that they don’t have them. So no recourse on the reins with buckle ends sent w bridle that had hook stud cheeks. As they’ve been very hit and miss (actually more miss) on communication I don’t think returning the whole bridle for a refund seems like a good risk so I’ll keep it. But be warned if you’re thinking of buying from Eponia.

3 Likes