Unlimited access >

Feeding Puppies: Food Evaluation Spinoff (LONG!)

I was going to post this in this thread here, as that’s where we started talking about this, but figured it was better not to hijack.

Here are Wendy’s posts on feeding puppies from that thread:

[quote=wendy;6099479]added in a separate message cause the previous was long:
but wolf puppies eat bone-filled prey don’t they? how could excess calcium be bad?
-young wolf puppies get fed what the parents bring home in their bellies- most likely bone-free chunks of meat hastily swallowed without too much bone, or whatever pieces the parents bring home, such as leg, where the bone is too large for a pup to consume.
-older wolf puppies get the scraps after the adults eat. Starvation is a common cause of wolf puppy death. Roly-poly fat wolf puppies don’t exist in nature.

When raising a puppy on a commercial kibble/canned diet, don’t just read “puppy food”, check the label and make sure it seems ok for YOUR puppy. If it says “all life stages” it may or may not be suitable for YOUR puppy. Puppies are much more sensitive to poor feeding than older dogs. I’d look for protein at least 28%, preferably much higher, and from dead animals, not from corn, soy, legumes, or gluten; calcium less than 2% (note most labels only give the minimum calcium, not the maximum or even the “average”, so if you can’t determine the maximum isn’t under 2.0% pass it on by); and make sure you can find the kcal/cup and be able to figure out using an online metabolic calculator how much to feed based on the kcal requirements of the dog.
If you want to try to raise a puppy on a home-prepared or even purchased raw diet BE VERY CAREFUL. There are scattered reports of pups presenting with serious skeletal disease after raised on such diets that turned out to contain incorrect amounts of calcium. The worst was a shetland sheepdog fed a commercial product that you were supposed to mix with meat to produce a “balanced” meal. Turns out it wasn’t correctly balanced for calcium, and the pup was seriously harmed. It didn’t give the name of the product, but it’s not hard to figure out. So read your labels carefully. AAFCO regulations about labeling are NOT intended to aid the consumer, or the dog; they are intended to aid the dog food manufacturers.
[/quote]

I was curious, so I pulled Ca, Protein, Fat, Fiber, Moisture, Kcal and top three ingredients of several ultra premiums (mostly grain free, some with grain snuck in there) into a spreadsheet.

Here are the options that are from 1% to 1.7% Ca and over 28% protein (these are sorted from 1% Ca to 1.7% Ca):

Blue Buffalo Wilderness                Small Breed Chicken

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken
Castor & Pollux Organix Grain Free Adult
Canine Caviar Open Sky
Innova Puppy
Nature’s Variety Instinct Rabbit Meal
Horizon Amicus Puppy
Horizon Amicus Adult
Acana Senior
Acana Adult Dog
Acana Puppy Large Breed
Castor & Pollux Ultramix Grain Free Adult
Castor & Pollux Ultramix Grain Free & Poultry Free Adult
Nature’s Variety Instinct LID Turkey
Horizon Amicus Senior & Weight Management
Great Life Grain Free Buffalo
Canine Caviar Grain Free Puppy
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon
Earthborn Holistics Coastal Catch
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Duck
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Healthy Weight Chicken
Petcurian Now Fresh Large Breed Puppy
Wellness CORE Reduced Fat
Acana Light & Fit
Acana Adult Large Breed
Acana Puppy Small Breed
Acana Puppy & Junior
Acana Adult Small Breed
Acana Wild Prairie
Great Life Grain Free Chicken
Acana Sport & Agility
Acana Pacifica
Annamaet Ultra
Timberwolf Wild & Natural
Annamaet Grain Free Manitok
Innova Prime Salmon & Herring
Earthborn Holistics Great Plains Feast
Annamaet Grain Free Salcha
Back to Basics Duck
Back to Basics Pork
Back to Basics Turkey
EVO Weight Management
Brothers Complete Allergy Turkey Formula
Nutrisource Performance Chicken & Rice
Orijen 6 Fish
Orijen Adult
Orijen Senior
Dogswell Nutrisca Chicken & Chickpea
Orijen Puppy
Orijen Puppy Large

(These are on this list due to their protein and Ca content ONLY, and may not be appropriate for other reasons, so evaluate each for your needs, etc. Also, for my purposes, Ca levels here are highest reported–Orijen is the only company that lists min/max.)

Brands on my sheet are:

Acana

Addiction
Annamaet
Annamaet Grain Free
Artemis Fresh Mix
Back to Basics
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Brothers Complete
California Natural
Canidae
Canine Caviar
Castor & Pollux Organix
Castor & Pollux Ultramix
Chicken Soup
Dogswell
Dogswell
Earthborn Holistics
EVO
Great Life
Horizon Amicus
Horizon Complete
Horizon Pulsar
Innova
Lotus
Merrick
Natural Balance
Nature’s Logic
Nature’s Variety Instinct
Nature’s Variety Prairie
Nutrisource
Nutrisource Grain Free
Nutro Ultra
Orijen
Petcurian Go!
Petcurian Now Fresh
Pinnacle
Pure Vita
Solid Gold
Taste of the Wild
Timberwolf
Tuscan Natural Carne
Tuscan Natural Harvest
Tuscan Natural Simply Pure
Vet’s Choice Holistic Health Extension
Wellness CORE
Ziwi Peak

Brands that I was not able to include because they do not publish their Ca levels on the web are:

Blackwood

Darford Zero/G
Fromm
Horizon Legacy
Natural Planet Organics

I thought this was interesting, and that it might give others a place to start when looking for puppy food.

Are there any brands I missed?

RE: brands -
I haven’t checked the specific levels, but have you checked Fromm? I just switched my large breed dog, who is 1, from Innova Large Breed Puppy to Fromm Large Breed Puppy.

I did not check Fromm–thanks for the reminder on them. Looks like I can’t include them, though, as they don’t publish their Ca levels on their website. Bummer!

My dogs (one who is allergic to the world) have been doing really well on Canidae. And an amazing, unexpected side effect, for them at least, is no stinky farts - ever!

We had 3 cases of HOD in over the past 2 weeks, a jack russell, a border collie and a great dane. All were eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy. I found that really interesting. Coincidence, but really bizarre!

Chicken Soup for the puppy lovers’ soul

I fed this to my puppy of unknown breeding for the first 8 months or so. I knew he was going to be big, so we wanted to be careful of his joints/bones.

When I was researching foods to feed him I knew I wanted; grain-free, proteins from meat sources, low calcium levels, and a good protein %.

I would have continued to feed Chicken Soup, but pup developed a chicken allergy so I switched him to ToTW either the purple bag (lamb) or yellow bag (buffalo and venison)

Another that does not list their calcium levels on their website :frowning:

Nutro, Sorry if you got that one already! I didnt see it but that doesnt mean anything :slight_smile:

Nutro only lists calcium levels for their Ultra line on their website.

Merrick had AWESOME customer service–emailed most of the companies on the “cannot evaluate” list last night requesting calcium levels, and Merrick responded first thing this AM.

I will update the lists in the original post.

That’s wild! I have heard some not so good things about the Blue Buffalo stuff and have stayed away from it…

I didn’t really follow what your lists on your OP were lists of? the first one was “suitable” by Ca and protein, but what were the other ones?

Another thing to think about re: puppies: exposure to a wide variety of potential allergens very early in life is thought to be protective against developing food allergies. Sticking with one food for your pup may not be the best way to go.

Wendy, there are headers at the top of each list. They are, in order: foods that meet your requirements re: calcium levels and protein; brands evaluated; brands not evaluated because the information is not available.

Interesting about the allergens. I’ve not had any issues with allergies since I’ve been purchasing from responsible, highly respected breeders. We did have issues with the dog purchased from the pet store (we didn’t know any better then!)

oh, well, I can’t see the headers, maybe just my interface is yucky. Well, I know it is.

re: allergies. Like hip dysplasia, there is thought to be a complex interaction between inheritance and environment.
You have to inherit the susceptibility, and then whether it manifests depends on the environment. Some breeds/ lines within breeds clearly carry a higher susceptibility to allergies. But the hope is that if you expose the pup to enough allergens early enough in life the pup will develop tolerances to them and you won’t see the trait manifest symptomatically.
It’s another thing to ask your potential breeder about- hey, do your dogs tend to have allergies?

Wendy (or anyone else), if you would like to see the spreadsheet, I’d be happy to email it. Just shoot me a PT with your email address. It’s still a work in progress, but I really like to be able to view and compare multiple brands all in one place. I like data :slight_smile:

Updated the original post with a few more kibbles that meet the calcium and protein requirements.

Still haven’t heard back from several companies…Fromm and Chicken Soup are the notable ones.

Here’s also a list of kibbles that are below 1.7% calcium, over 28% protein with only meat ingredients in the top three spots.

Blue Buffalo Wilderness Small Breed Chicken
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Large Breed Chicken
Innova Puppy
Acana Puppy Large Breed
Castor & Pollux Ultramix Grain Free Adult
Castor & Pollux Ultramix Grain Free & Poultry Free Adult
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Healthy Weight Chicken
Wellness CORE Reduced Fat
Annamaet Grain Free Manitok
Innova Prime Salmon & Herring
Annamaet Grain Free Salcha
Back to Basics Duck
Back to Basics Pork
Back to Basics Turkey
EVO Weight Management
Orijen 6 Fish
Orijen Adult
Orijen Senior
Orijen Puppy
Orijen Puppy Large

Still trying to decide what to feed our upcoming puppy, but at least there are a lot of options!

I would avoid the “reduced fat” and “weight management” foods for puppies- Wellness core reduced fat and EVO weight management. Pups need fat.

Are you only interested in kibbles? Natures’ variety raw (the chicken formula- some of their raws the calcium is a bit up there) is a nice puppy food.

I’d love to do raw, but the cost of prepared raw is crazy for large dogs–$10/day per dog last I looked–and that’s simply not possible for me.

Ideally, I’d like to use the same food for my adult dog as for the puppy, and it certainly looks like there are several that would work for that, although it does shorten my list–I really need high kcal/cup for Koa. I also won’t feed Natura Pet products, so that takes the list to these options:

Nature’s Variety Instinct Rabbit Meal
Horizon Amicus Puppy
Earthborn Holistics Puppy Vantage
Orijen 6 Fish
Orijen Adult
Orijen Puppy

The Amicus only comes in little bags, so that’s out.

The Timberwolf is a special order at my feed store–doesn’t take it out of the running, but the pain in the ass factor of getting it ordered does need to be considered.

Koa’s currently on a trial of Orijen 6 Fish to see if it fixes her snot issue–if it works, we’ll probably just feed the puppy 6 Fish as well.

Updated the lists at the top and also the shorter one a couple posts up listing kibbles with only meat in the top three.

Had to call Chicken Soup and Taste of the Wild (for the puppy formulas) for calcium values. Also called Fromm, and they are looking for them for me. For the most part, those that don’t list their values on the web have been very prompt about getting back to me.

The spreadsheet sits at 304 kibbles currently!

@Simkie I know this is an old thread - just wondering (hoping) if this information is still up to date? We got a new puppy this past weekend and bought some Orijen Large Breed Puppy food It looks like the calcium is listed as 1.2% min, but I don’t see a max value. Our puppy is right between 5 and 6 months, so perhaps the calcium is a moot point?

While I’m asking things, Orijen has a Large Breed Puppy and an Amazing Grains (grain-inclusive) Large Breed Puppy. Is there a benefit to one vs the other (grains vs no)?

Congrats on your puppy!!

I honestly don’t know if anything has changed, but I’ve rolled with this through, wow, two more dogs. I feed Orijen 6 Fish from puppyhood on.

The grain thing depends on where you stand on the grain free/DCM thing. My opinion is that it’s a complex, multi factorial issue, and that a grain free diet plays little to zero role in DCM. There are a few links in this post if you’d like some info:

1 Like

Thanks for the link! You feed the adult formula to puppies as well? I always thought there was some difference, enough difference to make it worthwhile to buy and feed puppy food, but now that I think of it, I couldn’t tell you what the difference is. Our puppy likes the Large Breed Puppy well enough, but is vacuum like so not all that picky.