Unlimited access >

FYI: Avoid this KKB Stallion Owner that won't answer those Tough Questions

the key word is “lower” lobotomies lol

2 Likes

I’ve stood several stallions over the years- one for a syndicate, and some of my own.

If a stallion owner doesn’t want to answer your questions, perhaps they do not want or need your business. There are many, many choices for you and your mare(s). Walk on by. Publicly castigating them for your issues is simply ridiculous. They do not owe you anything. If they elect to deal with you, and spend their time answering your questions, etc., you might still decide not to breed to their stud. Of course, then you could say you didn’t like their answers.

This is one of the darker sides of the industry for me- dealing with people who I consider to be ridiculous wastes of my time. I don’t have a stallion anymore, but I can recall a few interesting people along the way.

And, I think that the horse in question looks like a nice kind of horse. I like his conformation, breeding and the fact that he is a war horse. I hope that he puts come nice babies on the ground for some good folks.

25 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhh :rofl:

1 Like

This! And I totally agree with your point about dealing with ridiculous people.

I find the OP’s claim that the stallion owner acted rudely to be completely plausible. Breeding attracts some real weirdos. At very least, there are countless breeders out there who act unprofessionally, not unlike every other facet of the horse industry. (Side note: I think it’s just as plausible that any rude response could have been a normal human reaction to what seems to be an attack of self-righteous keyboard warriors)

But there are bad breeders and then there are bad breeders. Standing a horse light on performance is not a crime. Being bad at customer service is not a crime. Animal abuse and neglect is a crime. So is conducting fraudulent business. Save the doxing for the people who deserve it: the ones breeding 100 horses they can’t feed, the ones stealing people’s horses and money, etc. If the case is you don’t like the horse or the stallion owner, just move along.

11 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks to this thread I just forwarded his info to a friend with an athletic big bodied paint mare that she wants to get an eventer out of! She wants the horse to be registered APHA and is hoping for RR papers. So this guy really ticks this boxes.

12 Likes

I think the horse is lovely, though I would prefer him with LESS chrome.

Looking at this photos and his pedigree, I see a very nicely bred horse that raced 63 times and hit the board 27, then retired clean legged/sound, AND is well conformed for sport. I also see a horse with 6"+ of overtrack in the trot in racing tack.

I can think of dozens of horses that are less worthy of being bred than this one, but I have not hounded the stallion owners about why their stallion is breeding quality.

If you want to make a case against Krazy Kolor Breeders or back yard breeders, you have, quite literally, backed the wrong horse.

22 Likes

I will try to answer the question.

The basis for breeding quality horses for sport and leisure in the UK and Ireland for centuries has been to use TB stallions that have thoroughly tested and proved on the racetrack and put them to e.g. hunter mares or draft or ponies.

With the arrival of Warmbloods from Europe, created by adding ‘hot blood’ i.e Thoroughbreds or Arabs to “cold bloods” as in farm work horses, army remounts and carriage horses hence “warmblood”, the role of the pure TB in sport has apparently declined.

The European stud books test their horses not in racing but in dressage and showjumping. Since the 1990s, WB have come to rule equestrian sport because they are bred in large numbers, to rigorous and agreed criteria and therefore offer a degree of certainty that they can jump or prance to sufficient standard. However, scratch the pedigree of a successful WB one will still find a substantial % of TB because the breed is recognized world wide to be an ‘improver’.

The reason why anyone should consider a TB stallion such as this one is precisely because it has a really good race record and returned sound after years of training. Such a horse is the best source of blood to improve sport performance.

The British and Irish breeders are becoming very concerned about the lack of TB sport stallions. The Dublin show has recently reintroduced The Croker Cup, which is for TB stallions, precisely to encourage the traditional Irish breeding that is being/now lost in the ISH. There are also very good new TB stallions being promoted in the UK, particularly for eventing, more than I have seen for several years.

ETA Using TB on local working mares and mustangs was the US cavalry policy for breeding army remounts. Many of these horses were the basis of what became the QH

21 Likes

Well, if several people asking the honest question, “What else has he done?” is considered a pile on, then I guess it goes back to the stallion owner not being in the right business. The questions were not mean spirited. They were genuine questions. I recall one of the questions being along the lines of, “He’s gorgeous. I’d be interested in hearing about his show experience or anything else he might have done since retiring.”

Why WOULDN’T a stallion owner answer a question like that?

2 Likes

I’m assuming because the questions were snarky in tone???

3 Likes

You missed my point in your cherry picking my post.

As a mare owner, I want to know if your horse has the temperament, talent, desire and conformation to improve upon my mare. Those are the factors that make a horse ridable, not its color/markings nor its paperwork.

For it is people who focus on color first or any single characteristic over the complete package that create things like Arabs that can’t breathe, TBs that can’t hold shoes, HYPP, etc.

And I guess you missed the part where I said he was a nice horse. I and others just wanted to know more about him. And we were censored for asking. But hey, if dealing with people like that floats your boat, go for it.

2 Likes

Please read for comprehension.

“The questions were not mean spirited. They were genuine questions.”

2 Likes

Please show me where I said the stallion wasn’t worthy. I’ll wait.

Thank you for your well thought out response.

None of us here saw the original FB chat. Generally in order to get banned from a sales group you need to violate the rules of the group. It’s a pointless discussion for us to try to evaluate if your behavior was “bad enough” to “deserve” to be banned *since none of us saw it. *

Coming to COTH to continue a very small local kerfuffle on a sales group by trashing the person on an international chat forum is not however the best look.

We can’t possibly tell if the questions were sweet and innocent but seller overteacted, or if it was a mean spirited pile on because the comments have been deleted and the commenters banned.

However the posts on here definitely look mean spirited IMHO.

24 Likes

Okay. Sure.

What has YOUR mare done? How many years has she shown, what is her registered show name, under which org, and, did she win her classes/was she competitive? If not, why?
Is YOUR mare’s temperament stellar to the point you can ride her, her offspring? Would you be happy with a perfect clone?
What type of “talent” does your mare have? (this is one of your breeding criterion, not mine)
What is YOUR mare’s conformation?
Why is YOUR mare worth breeding?

People are so quick to jump on stallion owners for a perceived lack of resume or judgment… and then you find out their mare has never had a riding career, or has no show record, or isn’t papered, or has zero redeeming factors to be bred other than she has a uterus – and, they somehow expect the stallion to be the Flex Tape seal that fixes all the conformational flaws in their mare.

P.S
TBs that cant hold shoes have a farrier problem.

34 Likes

I’m reading for comprehension- really.

And, as I stated before, essentially what you think is a HUGE, BIG, IMPORTANT question may not be relevant to the stallion owner, for any reason at all. If they do not answer your questions fully, or at all, that’s life. Walk on by.

You have the option of breeding your mare to any stallion that you like, and can live with their answers and contract. You do not have the option of telling how they have to do business.

5 Likes

If you are looking at a Thoroughbred stallion who raced 63 times in 5 years, you can assume that he has talent, decent conformation for performance, a willing temperament and the desire to do a tough job. All of that is a given considering the horse’s history which was readily available to you.

You’re the one who keeps bringing up the stallion’s color and markings, not us. As others have said, if the stallion isn’t the right one for you or your mare, just walk on by. There’s no reason to launch an attack because the stallion owner doesn’t want to deal with questions whose answers are already in evidence. Perhaps she mistook you for a tire kicker or a pretty pony shopper.

26 Likes

Oh – so now you take it on yourself to publicly issue your judgment that the stallion owner is not “in the right business”. Your high-and-mighty judgments keep digging you into a deeper hole – not that you are catching on.

The stallion owner had already stated what the stallion had done. Racing. Not showing. What was unclear about that?

There is a difference between an honest question and baiting. You can stand pat that you asked an honest question. But I and many other people read it that you are just baiting the stallion owner for your own amusement.

You come across as being primarily interested in social media trolling.

15 Likes

If your intention by posting here was to discourage people from dealing with this breeder and her stallion, your plan backfired OP. He is very nicely put together and clearly durable. Exactly the kind of horse who deserves to pass his genes along, thanks for sharing.

36 Likes

I’ve changed my mind. OP is the stallion owner, with the most clever way to get around the “no advertising” rule on COTH :wink:

18 Likes