Unlimited access >

Hunter Class - is this tack illegal or unconventional?

Well OP should be a fun poster to watch in the future! :yes: Welcome to COTH!

Oh…come…on…

A standing martingale is used to prevent the horse from throwing his head, not to keep it down. I personally feel the OP is going thru a lot of angst to take a jumper, who will not need to ever show in a flat class, in a flat class. Why not wear what you want and just hack around the show grounds?

I wrote the wrong author of the post: It should have read ybiaw summed it up pretty well… I did find what Pennywell Bay said quite funny as well

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8862841]
:wink: I mean I could do it. My REAL answer to “What should I do with my hair, it won’t fit in my helmet” is “Hairnets. Suffer.” but I am just trying to be nice. Ish. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Braid

[QUOTE=copper1;8864100]
A standing martingale is used to prevent the horse from throwing his head, not to keep it down. I personally feel the OP is going thru a lot of angst to take a jumper, who will not need to ever show in a flat class, in a flat class. Why not wear what you want and just hack around the show grounds?[/QUOTE]
I agree…I also don’t know if I’d consider a flat class the most appropriate class for a high strung youngster. I’ve had and seen some interesting rides on greenbeans in flat classes! I prefer the solitude of an OF class or just quietly hacking around the edge of the schooling ring. But not my monkeys, not my circus.

Since it is a schooling show it is likely no problem if you call now and scratch out of the evil hunter class that you signed up for not knowing it was a hunter class.

Why all the hate about a piece of equipment you are not being required to use? Fine, you do not like standing martingales. It does not make them evil or people that use them clueless or bad or …

Just in case it was not clear to you, even your bell boots are not allowed in a flat class (or any hunter over fences class). No boots on the horse at all.

[QUOTE=trubandloki;8864225]

Just in case it was not clear to you, even your bell boots are not allowed in a flat class (or any hunter over fences class). No boots on the horse at all.[/QUOTE]

I feel like continued efforts to give actual advice are likely to fall on deaf ears. OP wants to wear/do what OP wants to do. OP might be a teenager, just based on the writing style. They are always right. :wink:

[QUOTE=IlexOpaca;8862797]
To start with, I did read the illegal vs unconventional comment on the sticky.

I am a jumper competing in an open w/t/c flat hunter class at a schooling show. I cannot find info on which type of hunters; it’s not a rated show. The other classes I’m taking at the show are jumper classes. I have been told the flat class is a hunter class and goes by the hunter rules.

I plan to compete in the jumper classes wearing a hunter green coat, white show shirt, tan and brown full seat breeches, brown gloves, a belt, black tall field boots, a black GPA helmet, and roller ball spurs. My horse will be wearing a dark square pad (prob black with neutral trim), a rolled sheepskin half pad, a stubben “golden wings 4 way gag” (not a traditional gag bit) fixed on double reins (snaffle rein and gag rein), a figure 8 noseband, and open front jumping boots. If my horse is relaxed, I’ll ride without a noseband and on a single snaffle rein.

I don’t want to buy extra tack or attire for 1 flat class. I have a full cheek bit that I prefer not to use and a variety of loose ring snaffles that I wold like to use so long as they’re legal. I have a low quality sheepskin shaped pad that doesn’t fit my saddle very well, I would rather not use it. I would rather use just my halfpad, which is rolled in the front and back, if I can’t use my regular pads. I have white polo wraps. I have a caveson noseband.

So my main questions are:

Can I use the “stubben golden wings 4 way gag” on a double rein (snaffle and gag)?

If not, can I use it on just a snaffle rein?

If not, can I use a loose ring snaffle?

Can I use a neutral square pad and rolled (front and back) sheepskin half pad?

If not, can I use just the half pad?

Are white polo wraps legal?

What do I do with my hair? It won’t fit under my helmet.

ALSO - I didn’t realize this might be a problem - Are composite (plastic) black angled cheesegrater stirrups legal?![/QUOTE]

Didnt see anybody else quoted this. Just in case.

[QUOTE=IlexOpaca;8863593]
Well of course I plan to use all legal (and as conventional as I can make it) tack/attire, and absolutely put my best foot forward - hence me asking the questions. That being said, I’m not going to go buy a D ring bit, black gloves, dark coat, tan breeches, a fitted pad, a traditional hunter bridle, and a new saddle (I ride in a Stubben Imperator - it’s rather unusual coloring, you can see if you google it - great saddle tho!) for 1 class in a schooling show that I will never use or show in again. Money is very tight for me, I really can’t afford to spend any extra that type of thing unfortunately. However after reading your and everyone’s responses, I’m pretty confident I will be entirely legal and blend in fairly well!

As for why I’m entering in this in the first place, I’m about to respond to Ambitious Kate’s question on the matter, if you want to read that. :)[/QUOTE]

Dude. I wasn’t attacking you. I was replying to the other posters above me.

But way to go asking for opinions from people who have spent their actual lives riding and showing hunters, including a few ‘R’ judges who have weighed in, and then getting all offended by what we’re saying.

Maybe your money would be better spent on more training rides for your horse than on entering a flat class that is not in your discipline at a local schooling show.

#byefelicia

[QUOTE=yellowbritches;8864185]
I agree…I also don’t know if I’d consider a flat class the most appropriate class for a high strung youngster. I’ve had and seen some interesting rides on greenbeans in flat classes! I prefer the solitude of an OF class or just quietly hacking around the edge of the schooling ring. But not my monkeys, not my circus.[/QUOTE]

Also, it would piss me the hell off as an exhibitor if someone just randomly showed up in my hack and used it as a schooling opportunity for their green jumper. I (hypothetically) paid good money to go to that show and present my horse in front of the judge and a green horse in a flat class can cause all sorts of trouble.

On one of his horsemastership videos, GM explained that a properly adjusted standing martingale (with the correct amount of slack under the jaw) was intended to save the rider’s head in case a horse threw their head/neck up, especially after a jump (he cited Paul Shockemohle’s accident as one reason they were helpful). I know that they, like any piece of equipment, can be used the wrong way, but when used as intended can be a very useful piece of equipment.

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8862884]
The prize list for said schooling show should clearly state whether it is held in accordance to USEF rules and guidelines.[/QUOTE]

It should also say which type of hunter class is the one you are thinking of entering.

Even in jumpers, I would do black gloves with black boots! (Or brown with brown. But that’s just me.) Boots, gloves, helmet, all one color. :smiley:

Why bother with the flat class? I read your rationale, but, as others have asked, wouldn’t hacking around the busy grounds and flatting in a busy schooling area have the same effect? If your unconventionality and horse’s greenness make a ribbon unlikely, and if you don’t really care about the ribbons anyway and you’re just there for exposure, why pay the entry fee? Just go, and let that be enough acclimatization for green bean.

Also, I’m not much for making anonymous pronouncements about horses I’ve never seen go, but if horsie requires a gag in order to flat in a group in a controlled manner, a flat class at a local schooling show may not be the most appropriate venue for him right now.

[QUOTE=ybiaw;8864398]
Also, it would piss me the hell off as an exhibitor if someone just randomly showed up in my hack and used it as a schooling opportunity for their green jumper. I (hypothetically) paid good money to go to that show and present my horse in front of the judge and a green horse in a flat class can cause all sorts of trouble.[/QUOTE]

That’s basically all every flat class at every schooling show always turns into. “Let me take my green horse into this pleasure class cause it’s the only thing we can show in.” If you’re not in the class…makes for great entertainment. If you’re in the class…good luck!

Honestly, some of you are getting a bit “butt hurt” over a person asking questions about a schooling show. The OP is listening, and taking your advice (and my own) as much as she’s willing to. We don’t know where she’s from or where the show is, but seriously-- she isn’t going to stand out as much as you seem to think, and flat classes at a schooling show are a catchall for lots of folks warming up. This isn’t WEF or an AA show. Easy there, posters. No need to go on the attack. The OP isn’t really being snarky or trolling. The cure for ignorance is education, kindly administered.

[QUOTE=IlexOpaca;8863927]
I didn’t know that either, I’ve never seen one. I’ve never bothered to find out because I’ve never used one. There’s lots of alarming stuff that’s legal in jumpers IMO - the double edged sword of having a more “anything goes” attitude when it comes to tack, I guess -[/QUOTE]

Where could you possibly show in the jumpers and not see a standing martingale? They’re all over the place in the lower levels. Not to mention, I can’t possibly imagine showing in the jumpers and not having a clue about what’s at least conventional or normal in the hunters.

Not to mention, a huge gag bit has far more potential for harm than a properly adjusted standing martingale, and while you’re free to disagree, you do so in opposition to many of the best and most decorated riders and trainers in the world.

Smells fishy to me.

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;8864812]
Honestly, some of you are getting a bit “butt hurt” over a person asking questions about a schooling show. The OP is listening, and taking your advice (and my own) as much as she’s willing to. We don’t know where she’s from or where the show is, but seriously-- she isn’t going to stand out as much as you seem to think, and flat classes at a schooling show are a catchall for lots of folks warming up. This isn’t WEF or an AA show. Easy there, posters. No need to go on the attack. The OP isn’t really being snarky or trolling. The cure for ignorance is education, kindly administered.[/QUOTE]

My butt is fine, thankyouverymuch. :wink:

[QUOTE=Mac123;8864821]
Where could you possibly show in the jumpers and not see a standing martingale? They’re all over the place in the lower levels. Not to mention, I can’t possibly imagine showing in the jumpers and not having a clue about what’s at least conventional or normal in the hunters.

Not to mention, a huge gag bit has far more potential for harm than a properly adjusted standing martingale, and while you’re free to disagree, you do so in opposition to many of the best and most decorated riders and trainers in the world.

Smells fishy to me.[/QUOTE]
Ummm…I worked professionally in eventing, and have competed more or less exclusively in eventing for over a decade, with a few exceptions, and even I know what is considered appropriate in the hunters.

But…that’s because you don’t ride or show hunters…??? I think I might be missing your point. :uhoh: