Unlimited access >

I have to tell someone... finally under contract on a farm! 8 months later, it’s ours!

In other fun news, I drove by tonight and saw the sellers removed the turnout sheds from the property that were supposed to stay. They are explicitly listed on the contract as being included with the property. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Who knows what else they will remove.

Of course we will go after the $$$ for the items at closing, but with the supply chain disruptions, this is just a massive headache and inconvenience we didn’t need on top of everything else. The property is no longer horse ready, which was a huge selling point.

No word on closing. Judge still has not ratified the sale.

At this point I would walk away if there were ANYTHING else on the market.

Oh, did I mention we have to be out of our current place by June 30 now?

I’m just so ticked off right now. 2021 started off “too good to be true.” Yup, definitely too good to be true…

6 Likes

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Oh no! How infuriating. Sheds could be a real PITA. Between the likelihood that sellers will try to undervalue them in negotiations and the time lost between closing and new sheds arriving, what a real mess. AND SO MUCH HASSLE. I’m royally pissed on your behalf.

And June 30 to be out of rental. Omg. That’s less than 60 days to close (with no closing date set yet) and move you, your family and the horses.

What a freaking nightmare. So very sorry you’re dealing with this. I am sending very loud jingles.

1 Like

So close!!! That is so frustrating they removed the sheds but small potatoes in the scheme of things.

It will be worth this giant hassle once your moved in and horses are at home.

This is exactly my fear. I’m worried that getting credited for the outbuildings will mean more legal delays. And just how successful will we be?

The cost to replace these structures will be significant with the current prices. We went from basically turnkey for horses to having nothing but fencing. I wonder if they’ll rip that out next.

2 Likes

Bah humbug. Why on earth would they take the sheds when it’s explicitly in the contract? What kind of butthead does that? Does your appraisal detail the value of the sheds individually?

And will any negotiations result in the final contract having to go back to the judge for review and approval?

Have you notified your realtor?

Ugh ugh ugh.

1 Like

Do you have a lawyer working on this for you? Might help to bring up the shed(s) now. Get the ball rolling for the credit now and put the current owner on notice that they can not remove other things without having to pay for them.

4 Likes

The first house we bought we had our Real Estate Attorney at the closing…the closing took about eight hours after item after item was questioned. At the end the seller was writing checks to clear the property . Possibility the best money we ever spent was having the attorney there.

As we entered, he said unless things are perfect we may have to get up to leave.

4 Likes

I’m just worried that isn’t much of a threat in this market…

We don’t have an attorney.

I could probably get this answer by reading back thru the thread so sorry that I am asking - are you using a realtor? Maybe talk to your representative to talk to their representative about the shed having to stay.

I am in NY where a lawyer is required, so it seems so weird to me that people buy houses without one.

2 Likes

Right?

As our attorneys tell us, you can pay us now a bit, or later a ton to get you out of what you should not have signed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

We do have a realtor. We have contacted the realtor. We shall see what happens. I’m just worried we don’t have a lot of recourse because of the circumstances of the sale in this hot market.

I can’t imagine not having a realtor just from a paperwork standpoint alone.

I remember reading a thread here about someone who bought a farm and the sellers took everything, including the front door. I’m worried we are heading down that same path…

2 Likes

Part of me is hoping that this run in shed thing was a mistake. That they did not realize or forgot it was supposed to stay.

I know, probably giving them too much credit.

2 Likes

We had an attorney representing us because of the complexity of the documents… and to make sure what we were supposed to be buying was actually there…such as the loafing sheds you say have been removed.

If the sheds were not attached to the ground usually those are considered not a fixture of the property… but the wording in the sales contract as you said specifically said the sheds were to remain. I would want some one who could act with authority to say… there will be a deduction of X dollars for the taken sheds.

I so not foresee your closing to be amicable

Personally I prefer to not have a person who as a vested interest in the proceeding represent me, if the sale does not occur the realtor does not get paid.

Also a real estate attorney carries errors and omissions insurance if they failed in their duties there is a pathway for recourse

3 Likes

Realtors are supposed to carry E & O Insurance, as well. However, I wouldn’t want to wait on getting it paid out, and the nightmare of that.

However, I completely agree with Clanter regarding having someone there who represents you, and only you. Do not hire an attorney recommended by the Realtor. Check out the State Bar, and do a search on attorneys who specialize in Real Estate. This is going to be an adversarial situation- make sure you bring a gun to the knife fight.

2 Likes

I keep hoping that the sheds will reappear but that’s also a bit far fetched. It could happen though lol

1 Like

Yes. Even more likely if someone points out ‘Hey, you were not supposed to take those’.

1 Like

What the serious eff?! Who just takes off with sheds when the house is under contract?!

Involving a real estate attorney sounds like a fab idea. Maybe a nasty letter makes the sheds reappear.

3 Likes

It depends on the state. New Mexico (this was in the 80’s, and 90’s) we used title companies for the contract, and closing. Colorado was the same in the 90’s and 2000’s, Alabama it’s through an attorney’s office.

I’m hoping OP videoed the property from the road, and keeps adding more, showing what’s been removed. I bet with the price of lumber, and materials shortage, that the seller either moved the sheds to their new location, or sold them. I bet the gates go next. I bet when the contract closes, that the house will be stripped of appliances, and any light fixtures that the sellers resell.

2 Likes