Unlimited access >

Interesting comment about the weight of riders

Oh for sure, that’s why I mention the weight distribution. There is a difference to sitting around a horse vs sitting on it, and we know that at any weight. There’s also a fair amount of difference in body control possibilities (so someone with a wobbly middle is going to struggle more with body control) and that for sure affects the horse.

But looking at a photo, we can’t tell that is the case, because that person with the wobbly looking middle may actually have a really strong core and may be able to sit light, and the person who looks “thinner” may ride like a sack of potatoes. That’s my only issue with people judging based on photos. :slight_smile:

I’m 5’9", and people are shocked at how much I weigh no matter my actual weight (which has fluctuated through the years), even at the nurses when every single time they have to move the stupid thing up to the next notch. I’m both blessed and cursed :smiley: I’ve never had a problem finding suitable horses and have always been very careful about saddle fit etc. as a result of being tall and heavier than a similarly built person at 5’4".

6 Likes

Indeed, I was watching a bunch of willowy teens and young adults in intermediate lessons. They all looked fantastic sitting on a standing horse and then just wifty and uncoordinated at speed. They just didn’t have the core strength. Middle aged adult riders that had some years in yoga or Pilates or fitness were much more secure even of they didn’t make such a pretty picture.

8 Likes

Short, round legs, big booty, very short femurs, crappy hips, round shoulders, D or DD cup bra here. I am 5’1" and weigh 145-150 pounds. Should I not ride?

13 Likes

By some of the posts here, I’m beginning to suspect many would say I shouldn’t ride either. 5’8” pushing 200 atm.

Good thing those folks don’t pay our bills.

Ride on

22 Likes

That is abuse.

3 Likes

You have no idea

I am 5’6” and I have a 34” inseam. I have a waist like a guinea pig has a neck. Nonetheless, I worked hard to have an educated leg, and learn to have a correct seat and hands. Conformation helps people and horses. Attitude is essential, and talent is a blessing. For all of us.

But weight? That we have some control over.

10 Likes

I have been told straight out here that I have no business being on a horse. 5’7, under 200lbs at the time. Profile pic was that weight and on my horse at the time that comment was made.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you aren’t riding the pony like the person in the video is.

1 Like

That’s terrible! You look great on your horse!

7 Likes

oh my god.

1 Like

Thanks. I’d like to think there isn’t much comparison between a plus-sized person riding a horse that’s appropriate for their weight, and the outright abuse by this Brazilian jagoff. His size relative to the pony’s size was just the tip of the iceberg here.

11 Likes

Dear god. I have no other words.

I can’t even.

Ride the eff on!

6 Likes

Ya. That poster is still around from time to time. Some people just suck.

11 Likes

I would never tell anyone they shouldn’t ride unless their horse was in physical distress. In that case, the rider should be able to feel it. I guess one self-check is what happens when you shift your weight? How strongly do you throw your horse off balance? I don’t think discussing weight limits based on pictures is very effective. Videos might work, but only if someone genuinely felt concerned that they might be too heavy for their horse. Nevertheless, I would never fat shame someone online. If you see a picture of someone that doesn’t seem right, you could recommend that they consult with their vet. You could be very wrong about the weight of the horse, the weight of the rider, or both. No need to cause anyone distress.

My Mustang is small (pony sized, technically) and I’m fully aware that I should keep myself in shape to ride her well. If I gained 40 pounds, I should stop riding her, or only ride her bareback, (I wonder if even that would be too much because it would concentrate the weight over a smaller area?). Point is that I need to stay in shape to enjoy the trails in my comfy western saddle on my cute little mare.

We also have a Shetland pony. Our son outgrew him when he reached 100 pounds (weight set by our vet), so she’s learning to drive now. I cannot imagine riding her myself to train her. A clever trainer can train a child to train the pony. When our pony was naughty, our son had to correct her with direction from me. Even if that buffoon could get the pony to respond to his cues, any real pony would just learn not pull tricks with him. The kids would still be fair game when they got on. What that man did was abuse while in a bad temper. The worst sort of horsemanship.

7 Likes

@BigMama1 If you have no business being on your horse than neither do I and he seems quite comfortable dragging my ass at Mach 10 over Novice fences cross country soo…

Realistically, this situation has very little to do with WEIGHT. The rider is GROSSLY oversized for that poor pony. I’m sure they just needed something concrete to put in writing as an offense that’s not just “WTF are you doing asswipe”? Honestly they should seize the poor pony. I wish the punishment had more substantial. Anyone that thinks seeing an animal in that kind of distress is funny has something seriously wrong with them.

14 Likes

The poster in question wasn’t initially referring to my photo, but rather their belief that nobody 200 lbs or over had any business sitting on any horse, period. When I shared that photo in response, their reply was “bless your heart.” :roll_eyes:

I don’t believe a blanket statement like that is true, sorry. There are too many other factors. Should riding schools, trail riding facilities and other public stables have max weight limits to protect their horses? 100%. But that doesn’t mean individual riders, in consultation with their coaches and vets, can’t find and ride a horse that is appropriate.

And yes, in the case of the Brazilian guy the issue is far more than just a grown man sitting on a little pony - which would be bad enough. It’s the physical abuse, the callous lack of regard for the animal’s well-being, and the utter BS from a professional rider that this was an appropriate way to “correct” a pony for biting a child.

10 Likes

TBH, even that’s a gray area. Locally, seeing horses ridden in “physical distress” is, unfortunately common. Lame horses being “corrected” cause their transitions aren’t smooth, see sawing on the bit, too tight draw reins, ridden to physical exhaustion. You get the idea. All of those horses are in physical distress. Let’s leave out the horses that are clearly in mental distress. Yet, it’s not my place to tell every Tom Dick and Harry that their riding is distressing the horse physically. Until those things are illegal, I’ve got no right to go about criticizing folks. Unless they specifically ask my opinion

Even at the upper levels of competition, lame horses are presented until the judge rings them out. If an owner/rider is not aware of the lameness or opts to “ride” through it, bystanders aren’t just busting up to folks like hey your horse is gimpy ya might wanna withdraw from this 4* event.

Now for sure, if you or I see some poor horse being beaten or so overloaded by rider weight that they’re bucking at the knees or some such then ya we gotta speak up.

I’ve seen some super chunky tourists (said as a chunky girl myself) out with the local dude string ambling along at the walk on chunky stock horses. For sure the horses were more comfortable than the tourists.

9 Likes

Using this as a barometer seems unwise to me. Prey animals are designed to hide discomfort. If a rider is always too large for a rider, then they have a skewed perception of the horses baseline. Shortening of overall stride can also be confused for laziness rather than discomfort.

I think tracking TPR and using tools like Equilab and equisense can help bring in some objective understanding along with recording rides to watch the horses overall demeanor and facial expressions.

5 Likes

You see a lot more than I do! I just ride trails and hardly see other riders. I can’t imagine someone in my situation approaching a stranger on the trail unless physical distress was involved. I saw a lot more hideous horsemanship and just flat out abuse when I boarded my horse. Not to mention at shows. Thankfully, I don’t find myself in either situation any more.

With what you see, I can understand that you need a filter of some sort! I can also understand some of the snark I see on this board. I remember how angry I was when I saw stupid people mistreat horses at boarding barns. I didn’t have much of a filter, but tried the report method, rather than direct confrontation most of the time. There’s usually a tremendous amount of pride involved and most cannot see past their own ‘perfect’ training technique. I’ve lost a lot of my rancor over the years of being more isolated from the horse world.

3 Likes