Unlimited access >

Interesting comment about the weight of riders

The other thing you never seem to see when we talk about these issues are the effects of the fitness of the horse. It seems a no-brainer to me, after riding green beans that you could knock off balance with an overly exuberant dismount (later fixed with strength) that horse fitness and strength probably affects the % of carrying capacity considerably. I see many horses who are not fit enough to do the work requested of them.

When I look at studies conducted, often they have some major flaws such as the study that failed to change saddle size for the heavy and very heavy rider. It’s a no brainer for me that a heavier person sitting on the cantle of the saddle because it’s too small is going to cause pain, and it’s likely that a light person sitting on the cantle of a too small saddle would have a similar issue. But no one talks about that either.

I think we would be far better off discussing horse and rider fitness, strength, and saddle fit & hoof care issues rather than blanket statements about weight for personal horses & riders. Hacking stables & lesson stables have slightly different challenges, but many of those skimp on the horse care bit, let’s be frank.

12 Likes

Those sound like great tools for someone like a trainer! I can’t imagine how hard it is to turn away overweight clients without a careful explanation.

OMG I gasped so loud at the jumping one that I scared my cat. My heart breaks for that poor pony, holy shit.

4 Likes

These horses routinely don’t work too hard , right? I think that makes a big difference on the stress it puts on them .

2 Likes

I don’t think we need to involve our government in another place they don’t belong and truthfully I have no idea how big saddles run?

Weight has always been a touchy issue and one that I have to watch myself so I would never want to put someone in a position where they are singled out / humiliated because of their weight.

That dressage rider had no business being on that pony plain and simple and I think the article from Dr. Deb that @Snowdenfarm posted was spot on. It gave very detailed guidelines that anyone can follow.

2 Likes

Who laughs at that?

A sadist

4 Likes

The government knows no boundaries … The ACA allows for insurance companies to charge smokers up to 50 percent more than non- smokers through a tobacco surcharge.

Most health insurance plans, including all plans purchased through the Marketplace, now include obesity screening and counseling, with no copays or deductibles.

I have no (polite) words. That poor pony. I hope they remove him from their hands.

2 Likes

They walk and trot, and sometimes canter. They need to balance someone who has no balance. Doing that with a 200 plus pound person isn’t easy on them. They also need to be dead quiet, because they can step out from under someone pretty easily.

5 Likes

I applaud anything that might act as a deterrent to smoking. It’s Amazing to me that in this day and age people are still smoking cigarettes.

23 Likes

What’s wrong with that? Smokers cost insurance companies more. Why shouldn’t they have to pay for it?

25 Likes

In a true therapeutic riding program these horse work so so hard. They are expected to serve as therapeutic partners by maintaining a true four beat swinging walk with a loose back. Now envision you have a 200 lbs rider with no torso control, two side walkers providing support to the rider, a therapist, and a leader. That is mentally and physically taxing to the horse and ground support. Every few steps they are subtly shifting to stay underneath the rider without changing tempo or rhythm.

The program I worked with had strict protocols about how many sessions our horses could do with larger riders and invested a lot into body work and chiro. Some of our horses who could easily do three sessions in a day with the tiny tots were totally done after one session with a large adult. Mounting and unmounting is also a source of additional strain when a rider has limited or altered mobility. By the time most horses are mentally ready for this type of work, they are also aging. Protecting their physical healthy and longevity is a constant battle.

21 Likes

uhhh… so do overweight people.

6 Likes

And? Did anyone, anywhere in this thread say they objected if insurance companies charged more to obese people? Or anorexic people? Or people who ride horses without helmets? Or people who use tanning beds? Or alcoholics? Or anyone who statistically has higher risk factors and is likely to cost the insurance company more money?

In the American every-man-for-himself, for-profit healthcare model it makes sense for health insurers to charge more to those who are high risk, just like auto insurers charge high risk drivers more.

Not sure what, if anything, that has to do with the issue at hand or whether it was just another opportunity for you to try and take a dig at fat people.

8 Likes

Well, you and others were opposed to that in another thread, I didnt think it was a stretch to think that would extend to here.

New thread, new you I guess

3 Likes

Where?

I should tell the story of our son’s horse. He’s a tall, lanky, 16 year old Appy/TB cross. We got him from a local ranch that serves veterans. They do not like to turn people away from trail rides. The poor boy carried a lot of heavy riders before the owner decided his build was too light and sold him. There were no obvious signs of lameness when we checked the horse out. However, a rough canter and his way of moving revealed something not quite right. Our vet confirmed our suspicions by suggesting an SI issue was to blame.

Our son enjoys the horse because of his goofy attitude and personality. He chose this horse knowing there would be limitations. He is still a lean middle schooler and we bought a lightweight saddle for the horse. The horse gets gabapentin before rides. Our son doesn’t ride very often, so it’s a good match and a safe home for a horse that served people well.

12 Likes

Somewhere in the German Youth thread, I don’t know how to link to a specific post or I’d do that. Several posts about it, with people bringing in other extreme sports to talk about. I’m ok with even charging more for horseback riders, period. It’s a risky sport, and we participate willingly.

I agree that greater risk should have greater cost. However, being overweight does not put you into a protected class. I understand that fat shaming is a thing, but you also need to own the idea that this country is generally overweight, and therefore less healthy, than so many other countries in the world. We need to eat healthier, exercise more, and address the health issues that may challenge our ability to lose weight.

10 Likes