Unlimited access >

Is My Trainer Blowing Me Off?

I may start looking around. I don’t need this particular trainer per say, I’m just a loyal person and had no intention of leaving her anytime. Maybe we’re just in the awkward breakup stage of our relationship and I’m the one who is slow to catch on. :rofl:

8 Likes

@EndorRider

You have made an attempt to follow her to her new barn, but she hasn’t been able to help you pursue horses there. Time to leave.

Are you currently taking lessons from her or anything? Or have you just been absent since she moved? Out of sight, out of mind. What are you being loyal to?

I would go looking for a lesson barn that has a lease at your level.

What level are you riding at? Can you go to see a safe horse, watch owner ride, and do a trial ride without a trainer present? Honestly if you can’t, you should continue to lease and lesson a bit more. Are you able to communicate with a vet for PPE?

I dont think you need to spend $50,000 on a trail horse.

Also IME the more a horse costs, the less likely its been out on trails, and the more chance it’s got more oomph than you seem to want. This might not be true in some high dollar Western markets, but it is generally true in English markets.

Where I live a $50,000 is a 3 to 3 foot 6 jumper or showing 2nd level dressage. To do that it needs to be sensitive forward and have spent a lot of time in an arena. It’s also a very desirable horse for competitors.

But it’s unlikely to have done a lot of trail riding.

11 Likes

You don’t sound like you’re on the same page as your trainer to be honest. If she’s spending her time showing and training clients for that, then she likely doesn’t particularly have the contacts that are selling trail horses - her associates are selling competition horses. She is unlikely to have much time to spare to look in places that are not her usual go tos, plus you aren’t going to be a major income source when you do find a horse. These are factors that will bump you down her priority list. It’s unlikely that she’s deliberately blowing you off, but she probably can’t allocate much time to you from a business point of view. You will likely be much happier (and find a horse faster) if you can find a trainer/barn/group of people who are more low key (ie be a round peg in a round hole :wink:). It’s not personal, its just your goals aren’t aligning at this point in time.

12 Likes

I am chalking it up to being perpetually tired. I simply do not have the energy to expend on BS.

2 Likes

I agree that you need to find a new barn and trainer. Forget fancy and find someplace that has boarders who trailride/ pleasure ride and has an instructor who can teach good basics.

You are fortunate that your current trainer hasnt found you a horse that is more suitable as a show horse than for trails and pleasure and for way too much money. Many would have taken advantage of the situation.

I agree that you first need to go barn shopping before horse shopping. Lots of people in NH who enjoy horses without showing! Once you find the right sort of barn, the people there are much more likely to know of suitable horses for sale. My friend just got a nice horse for 4 figures, so they are around in NE!

6 Likes

Honestly in your price range you should find something quickly? If you have a few knowledgable horse owning/ experienced friends who you trust, why not use their help instead? Put up your own ISO ad with your requirements and see what you guys can find locally.

I have never used a trainer for anything and I have always been able to find what I was looking for.

2 Likes

we used to compete in Competitive Trail against a Peruvian Paso that was said to have cost the owner $250,000 …it was a nice horse but a quarter of million dollars?.. well the owner had the money and in relationship to what we paid for our horses and what she paid it was about the same. She was a nice person and her horse was a just as nice

more power to her.
Many years ago I read an opinion piece in a magazine about amateur riders and horses vs $$$
the writer made the excellent point that ammies do deserve the best horse they can afford as well, maybe more so than the professional. Especially when a solid mind is required

And breeders love to have that foal that pays the bill for a while, too.

So yeah, while you can have the really $$$$$ horse, you don’t HAVE to.

1 Like

@EndorRider from the info you’ve added: twice weekly lessons for (bold is mine) only a year & no interest in becoming part of the show team - it’s not so much Trainer “blowing you off” as her focus (& better part of her income) is not your lessons, but those of her clients who will show.

Agree with those who say take a horsewise friend with you to look at a likely prospect. Why is trainer input needed for a trail horse?
If soundness is an issue, arrange a PPE.

2 Likes

One year of twice weekly lessons.

What’s your riding level? Are you an adult beginner that started a year ago or a returning rider getting up to speed?

Either way I’d suggest another year of lessons and lease before you start horse shopping.

If your trainer is in the world of $100, 000 competition horses and you want to ride trails and pleasure and just lesson to be more competent in the saddle, this is a huge mismatch. Go find a barn where people do what you want to do.

I see where $40,000 looks cheap compared to $100,000, but honestly $40,000 is way over budget for what you say you want

Find the world where people are doing what you want to do and it will all fall into place.

12 Likes

What MsM said. You are in the wrong barn. Find a barn with social riders who ride for pleasure and have a trainer that helps them reach basic goals. I cannot imagine what your are learning in lessons if you are not interested in dressage or jumping. A trainer relationship is good to have if you run in to issues with your horse. Certainly a respected professional who can look after your horses needs is a must.

Perhaps you might find a happier venue in a western oriented barn where your might get involved with obstacle training. This is not for any show goal but rather a training goal that you and your horse can enjoy. It will help make him a better trail citizen, more obedient and more reliable in a tougher , unexpected situation. Or any discipline barn, including dressage, where riders have more interest in social connection and enjoying their pleasure horse. Basic dressage training makes every horse a better, fitter, more efficient moving horse.

Have you tried contacting other trainers / barns you know? It might be best to come in as a leasing lesson rider then transition to buying if it is a happy situation for you

Have you owned a horse before , or is this your first one? Seems to me the COTH network grapevine should be able and willing to get you some leads.

7 Likes

I agree with @trubandloki in that you should schedule some time to sit down with your trainer and have an open and honest discussion. It’s tough to have a non-competition horse in a show barn. When my last horse was injured, I chose to keep him in the show barn as they had all the therapeutic essentials and caring staff to look after him. But, I was definitely not front and center. It was very telling to me that once my horse died, suddenly my trainer was overly friendly with me. After a two year hiatus I put two and two together and realized she figured I was finally ready to buy that fancy investment horse. I realized that she and I weren’t going to see eye to eye, and I went to a new barn where the focus was less on making money off me as a client and more on helping me succeed.

It was hard to find the right fit. I moved to a barn where the trainer started a search. It was very similar to your situation. Trainer would find horses but wouldn’t want to travel anywhere. She wanted to pick horses 10+ hours away and haul them in for a trial. Why not just fly? Finally, she sent me to a an acquaintance to see a horse. I came back with videos. I don’t think she looked at them all but she immediately dismissed the horse. When I insisted she pursue him, she called the trainer and said he was worth only have the price and would she take $xx,xxx. I was LIVID. I loved him and ended up leaving her, buying the horse, and keeping him in training with the selling trainer 5 hours away. Not only is the horse incredible (he went on a bridleless trail ride today), but he was a year end USDF all breed award winner and also picked up a western dressage world championship last year. And he’s a hunter! So, sometimes it’s better to look at what is available - you might just find the trainer of your dreams!

As for not having a horse to ride in this program, perhaps there is another program that is a better fit? Since my horse is 5 hours away and I can’t ride him regularly, I searched for a program back home. Not only did I find one, but it has exceeded all my wildest expectations and I have accomplished things I never knew were possible. Perhaps you would find a better match if you took a leap of faith? I took a risk on trying a new program and it has turned out to be the best decision I ever made. Best of luck finding a suitable equine partner.

I would not recommend buying anything right now. The market is crazy high at the moment.

4 Likes

I agree it doesn’t sound like you are a good fit for this trainer’s program, and they may be telling you this indirectly. Personally, I would recommend finding a trainer / barn with like-minded people who want to trail ride and do the things you do.

I also agree that $30k seems absurdly expensive for a casual / pleasure trail horse, even in an expensive market.

11 Likes

I agree with this–if Trainer is someone with a show barn and a program, a pleasure/trail rider is just not a fit, so your shopping is not a priority for them. Start looking for a new barn, and start shopping on your own.

Your budget, even for NE, seems high for what you want/need as a pleasure rider. I’m in MD, and if you’re not looking for show fancy, I scrolled through the local FB group and saw half a dozen horses that would potentially fit your needs. And they’re all in the mid- to high-FOURs. Especially if you’re willing to buy something in that hony size range, or a mare.

4 Likes

This :arrow_up:. 1000%. Reading your initial post, I thought to myself “a mid-5 figure is gonna be a lot of horse for w/t/c Pleasure lessons & trails.” Most horses I know at that price point you’re probably going to want (or need) to have a pro hack it out for a while. Or forever. Especially an import.

You’ve got beer tastes and a champagne budget going on. Whether intentional or not, the trainer may be doing you a favor trying to send you to look at horses alone. You don’t want something that is going to require training rides with a pro, a program, management, etc. You want something like a nice, sane, well-schooled eventing horse that’s stepping down. Or a steady Eddie western type like others have suggested.

14 Likes

LOL, what?

Yes, this is EXACTLY what I want! I grew up riding this kind of horse. Rode all through my childhood, teen years and college. Just honest horses who knew their job and didn’t get worked up when the wind made the barn door jiggle. Heck, my uncle used to take those same horses hunting - you could shoot off them, then throw a deer over their back and it was all the same to them.

This thread has been tremendously helpful. I was frustrated by my trainer but I think I might just be at the wrong barn. A square peg in a round hole indeed. Much appreciate everyone’s time and thoughtful feedback. I have been reading these forums for years but this was the first time I participated. Glad I did.

28 Likes

The Lippitt (Morgan) Horse Show is next month. They have classes for only Lippitt Morgans (purest of the pure bloodlines) and classes for (still) purebred registered Morgan horses. You might go and get a chance to talk to some exhibitors and breeders.

(Caveat: I’ve never been to the show but maybe NEXT year…)

The 2021 Lippitt Country Show Featuring The Beautiful Lippitt Morgan Horse.

6 Likes

An import. As in a horse that was brought to this country from another.

3 Likes

I really, REALLY want to attend this show one year. Would love to bring my Lippitts, but I live in WA and that’s a bit of a haul. :smiley: It’d be so much fun to watch though.

2 Likes