Unlimited access >

KWPN-Harness Book Horses marketed to H/J

Yes; it’s hard to believe that horses with nine foot canter strides are advertised as being able to easily make the distances. The advertised hack winners like sewing machines…

I learned the hard way that regardless of breeding or horse height, a horse needs at an almost 13’ foot canter step and shoulder conformation that allows the forearm to easily lift a bit past vertical for a show hunter to make the grade past 2’6” courses.

Regarding this particular seller of horses, a direct question to them about a horse advertised, if it was KWPN Harness book; was responded with they are KWPN Dutch Warmblood. Therein lies the problem. All rightly then; next!

3 Likes

The hubris is in comparing what any American horse breeding organization does in terms of creating types vs what the Dutch have been doing better and for a much longer time. That said, the AQHA has probably been the very best at creating “silos” of AQHA horses where reiners, cutters, halter horses, HUS, etc. are not cross-bred to one another but are part of the same breed.

I don’t think DHH horses are “worse” than those in the dressage/jumping section of the KWPN registry, But there absolutely is a Platonic ideal guiding animal breeders. That’s the point-- the Dutch selected and bred for very different functional purposes in those two books.

And the point that “a DHH isn’t what you think of when you hear ‘KWPN’” is exactly the issue this thread was about. So if that’s true, I guess you concede the point, yes?

1 Like

I have seen horses recently on the Plaid Horse Thermal classifieds that even to my uneducated eye were clearly harness horses.

2 Likes

Not really. Just because you think of something when you see the term KWPN doesn’t mean you’re right. I mean lots of people think 14.3 western pleasure horses when they see AQHA but that doesn’t make it a lie or misleading when I advertise my 17.2 HUS horse as AQHA. It just means you jumped to a conclusion that was wrong.

4 Likes

The difference is KWPN designates three distinct registry books based upon purpose; which are clearly designated on the top right face of the registry papers. You can go to the KWPN website to learn more.

Someone that is clearly not being honest about a horse being bred to pull a cart vs a horse being bred for dressage/jumping is in my opinion being dishonest. In this case, it is an attempt to gain $$$. Shady is; as shady does.

3 Likes

This reminds me of some folks I knew growing up. Mom and dad didn’t know a single thing about horses but wanted to get their kids (about 8 and 12, give or take, and hadn’t done more than pony rides at the zoo) into riding. Some dirtbag sleezeball sold them two 3yo, unbroke, gaited horses as “barrel racers”. Told the parents they needed to buy young horses so they could “grow up with the kids”. The saddest part about it was the horses had such bad pasterns/fetlocks (think severe DSLD, although unconfirmed) that they were unrideable anyways - pasterns nearly horizontal, fetlocks would practically hit the dirt with every step too.

Well… read Moneypitt’s explanation. The Dutch have just taken that “silo-ed” breeding within the AQHA that I mentioned a step farther by creating separate books.

The fact that you can find a 14.3 chunk and a slab-sided 17 hander who move really differently and probably have very different minds within the single AQHA registry demonstrates that being able to call both horses AQHAs is a matter of the registry’s policy, history and, largely, an American approach to breeding, but the large differences and their true-breeding-ness in both horses shows that selective breeding works the same way in Holland and in the US, if you practice rigorous forms of it.

If all this is true, and you have the opportunity to designate which “silo” your horse is in, as the Dutch think if valuable and, the AQHA breeder also does, in practice, why not just say so?

The dutch have 3 different books. The hanos have 2 different books too. I see you didn’t respond to my hypo with hanos. If you should have to designate KWPN-gelders or KWPN-DHH should you also have to designate Hanoverian-Main Book or Hanoverian-Non-Main-Book in an ad?

Because the average buyer doesn’t care? Why don’t ads for hanoverians say “pink papers” or “blue papers?” Same reason. People don’t care. They’re all hanos. If you have a problem with someone saying “KWPN” for DHH with KWPN papers then get out the smelling salts before you look at horse sale ads… because people use all sorts of GENERIC/INARTICULATE BUT TRUE descriptions of horses. For all sorts of breeds and types. If this is wrong in your book, half the ads out there aren’t right. Are you equally inflamed when someone calls a pinto horse a “paint” even though it doesn’t have APHA papers? Because that’s actually WRONG and people do it all.the.time. Do you fall out of your chair when someone calls a horse with no papers that is by a warmblood stallion and out of a warmblood mare a “warmblood?” If calling a horse with KWPN papers a KWPN is deceptive, I guess 75% of sellers are bald faced liars.

8 Likes

Can those in the know link me to the ads in question, since it seems more than one poster on this thread knows who this about? Moreso because I am nosy, and want to oogle the DHHs.

5 Likes

I’ve seen them posted on FB and it’s a closed group so I don’t think I can successfully link to it.

You seem to have missed the point. I’ll try to explain it again.

The KWPN has three complete different types of horses, with three complete different types of purposes. ‘Purpose’, as in, what the horse is BRED to be used for. Because the Dutch determined such a difference in these horses bloodlines for each purpose; they designate one of the three different categories on their papers. One is for the Dutch determined bloodlines for riding horses, one is for the Dutch determined bloodlines for horses that pull carts, one is for the Dutch determined big strong gelders horses.

Completely different than mare books…

2 Likes

Actually it seems like you’re the one missing the point. But there’s no need to be rude.

The question is whether it’s deceptive to call these horses KWPN. It’s not. All three types are KWPN.

Dutch warmbloods with papers are in the KWPN registry.
Dutch harness horses with papers are in the KWPN registry.
Gelders with papers are in the KWPN registry.

It is not deceptive to call any of the above a “KWPN papered horse.” For whatever reason you and some others on this thread seem to have decided that the term “KWPN” applies/should apply exclusively to Dutch warmbloods but it doesn’t. They might be more common in the US but all three- Dutch warmbloods, Dutch harness horses, and Dutch gelders are all KWPN horses.

The fact that the books are divvied up by discipline is irrelevant. That would matter if the question was “Is it deceptive to call a “Dutch Harness Horse” a “Dutch Warmblood.” I agree with you. That would be deceptive. Because, as you note, the Dutch have divided the KWPN universe of horses into three types by category. Using the wrong category description would be incorrect. Had she said this was a “KWPN Dutch Warmblood” when it actually was a KWPN Dutch Harness Horse” then I’d agree with you. Because that would be misleading. But it’s not wrong or misleading to say any horse, or any type, with KWPN papers is a “KWPN.” It is.

Taking your reasoning to a logical conclusion… let’s say someone is advertising a Dutch Warmblood with KWPN papers and calls that a “KWPN.” By your logic, that’s deceptive. Because that person is using the term “KWPN” as though it exclusively applies to Dutch Warmbloods when it could also apply to Dutch Harnes Horses or Dutch Gelders. The term “KWPN” just means that the horse is in that registry. It neither states nor suggests the TYPE of horse within that registry. Dutch Warmbloods are not the “default” KWPN horses and you have to say otherwise if you don’t mean Dutch Warmblood when you say “KWPN.” Dutch Warmbloods are probably a lot more COMMON as hunter/jumpers (and more common overall) but it doesn’t mean that they’re the default KWPN horses. I actually would venture to guess that where these horses are located geographically, Dutch Harness Horses are more common than Dutch Warmbloods. That article you posted again and again refers to all three types collectives as a “breed.” That reinforces my point.

No one is disputing that KWPN has three different books or good reasons for those books. Or that horses in those books are different. But that’s NOT THE QUESTION. The question is not “Should a DHH be aimed at a hunter/jumper career?” The question is "is it deceptive or a lie to advertise a DHH with KWPN papers as a “‘KWPN papered horse?’” and the answer is that it’s not. It probably plays to a common assumption (that you clearly have and others may as well) but it’s not a lie and it’s not misleading. That is a KWPN horse with KWPN papers even if it’s not the kind of KWPN horse you’re most familiar with or that you like best.

The fact that AHS splits their horses up by mare books and the KWPN by type is irrelevent. The point is that both registries divide their horses up and issue different papers to different groups of horses. It is neither a lie nor misleading to say “this horse has AHS papers” regardless of what book it is in. Similarly it is not a lie or misleading to say “this horse has KWPN papers” regardless of what book it is in. The representation that is being made is that this horse is in the KWPN registry. And it is. There is no representation as to what part of the registry it’s in but you’re reading that into the very term KWPN. If you read that into the term KWPN/Dutch then you would read it into the term AHS/Hanoverian and clearly we don’t do that. That’s my point. With other registries we don’t call it a lie or misleading when a seller simply represents the memership in a registry with nothing more. Yet for KWPN you seem to feel that sellers need to clarify that the horse is KWPN but with DHH or KWPN with Gelders papers. That assumes Dutch Warmbloods are the default KWPN horses, which is just a prejudice you’re reading in because they’re more common. I’m sure there are places/communities with DHH are the dominant KWPN horses. Including, I suspect, where these particular horses are coming from.

A seller doesn’t need to presume arbitrary buyer prejudices and counteract them to be honest. If I say “half thoroughbred” I’m sure around my area people will assume the other half is WB. Out west the assumption is probably that the other half is QH. But either way if the horse is indeed 50% TB it’s not a lie or misleading to say “half thoroughbred.” It’s not incumbent on the seller to presume what gaps the buyer might fill in and disabuse the buyer of any wrong conclusions. It’s incumbent on the seller to represent the horse honestly. I think saying “KWPN” is a honest, if incomplete, representation. Just like saying “warmblood” can be honest but incomplete. Or “APHA” or “AQHA” can be honest but incomplete. Or heck, even “chestnut” can be honest but incomplete if the horse is chestnut sabino.

Do you go around correcting people who call their horse a “quarter horse” or advertise it as “AQHA” that they’re wrong because it has appendix papers so it’s really an appendix quarter horse? No. Because it’s neither deceptive or a lie to call any horse with AQHA papers an AQHA. And that’s what this person is doing.

Maybe we’ll just have to agree to disagree? Rather than you telling me I just “don’t get it.”

16 Likes

They may be KWPN registered.

They may be KWPN registered HARNESS book horses.

It is the fact; that the seller; is purposefully hiding that information; which is the issue.

It is not the same thing as Warmblood mare books.

It is not the same thing as bloodlines for different disciplines within AQHA. But more in line with this. If that helps understanding. It would be like a subset registry within the AQHA for horses that are race bred, cow horse bred and pleasure bred. So one designated for Dash For Cash bred horses, another for Doc Bar bred horses and a third for Speedy Glow bred horses; as a hypothetical type example. :wink:

2 Likes

I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree :wink: because I feel like you’re drawing a distinction just for the sake of disagreeing and not really engaging with the logic of what I am saying and there’s not a whole lot of point in us both screaming into the void

7 Likes

I’m sure there are many novice buyers who were sold a dopey deadhead halter horse for a barrel racer, or a half broke cutting bred that flunked out of basic training as a kid’s pet. We’d for sure think those were unscrupulous sellers or naieve buyers.

I’m curious if very many people looking for hunters are actually buying these harness horses. I saw a breeding program on FB for breeding spotted Friesian x WB x DHH, quite deliberately. They posted a young prospect quite proudly, professional photos and video showing off his suspension. I think aimed at dressage. And I wouldn’t want that horse for dressage either, let alone jumping. He was a flashy harness horse in croup and carriage.

On the other hand, I did see a $60,000 imported (at some point) Zangersheide that looked just like a draft cross. Meant for jumpers. Not sure where he ended up. Bought with a trainers help.

1 Like

I too know who you are talking about. I will say her horses are getting nicer, but they are more dressage types and occasionally she markets one as a jumper.

There is a farm near me breeding DHH/dressage crosses by the dozens and some of them look nice, but when I was shopping recently I didn’t even go look. I prefer to buy the canter, not the trot. But for lower level ammys, they are pretty decent horses, cute movers but never going to sit/collect. Most people never get to that point anyway.

I will also say I would be super cautious about buying offspring of a super-popular US-based Totilas son without investigating the motherline thoroughly!

I do know why they don’t advertise as DHH. I am in Amish country, and there are many non-KWPN horses advertised as DHH, because the Amish aren’t getting them KWPN approved even though they were from those lines. All being said, I’d rather have one that IS KWPN approved if I was going that direction. The KWPN-approved horses might not be my type, but there are some really nice ones that many people would be happy to own. Very different than unapproved DHH “puppy mill” crosses.

Locally, we even have a harness-only Keuring.

The ads I’ve seen lately have stated the horses are KWPN Dutch Warmbloods. I just assumed she had some new horses in for sale with non harness lines. I know she breeds Arabians with DHH lines, but maybe she is expanding into the more “traditional”warmblood lines.

2 Likes

That isn’t the seller I was thinking of. The one I was thinking about was in PA/NJ

Multiple states makes me think scam. So does the exaggerated language. Is this a legitimate seller (ie, the horses exist)?

Ok, I looked her up on FB. She’s legitimate as a breeding program. She is not selling to hunters. She is selling as jumpers and eventers. She’s also got photos of young horses free jumping decent heights with scope. It’s also true that Standardbred and Saddlebreds can jump too if you get the canter sorted out. Somewhere down her thread she praises the stamina of Kwpn harness horses in her breeding program.

So I don’t think there’s intent to mislead in this ad, and the horses may be able to do the job. They clearly aren’t hunters, but most eventers aren’t.

Whether this is what I would want as a jumper? If I wanted a jumper? Possibly not. Are they selling? For how much? Who knows.

1 Like