MB Civil Trial: JK/KK Contempt of Court?

Remember, the civil trial had already been filed, but stayed until after the criminal trial. He certainly could have been there to see what came up that could be used for the civil trial once restarted.

6 Likes

I totally thought of this aspect the other day.

12 Likes

Legal smart people - Does the judge have to read all this back and forth between the lawyers? It feels like the lawyers are talking to the judge trying to make their point, but then I wondered where the judge finds the time to read this much stuff along with being in court.

3 Likes

Yes. Eventually. Ot their law clerk reads it and advises accordingly

14 Likes

I wonder if the law clerk includes how well written some are versus others are very sloppy and hard to read when they advise the judge about the content?

I sure hope the law clerks get more responses that are an easy read full of information versus those like what was filed by Bruce.

2 Likes

They absolutely do. Secretaries and law clerks are the first people to read communications to the judge, and they often are knowledgeable enough and have developed a good enough relationship with the judge to give their opinion on something. Plus, in a legal community like New Jersey, I’d be very surprised if this judge had not already had cases from these attorneys before and was already familiar with them.

10 Likes

Law clerks are hand picked by the judge. They know them personally as opposed to the rest of the staff.

11 Likes

Silver says as much in that one response where he states that the judge knows that they are honest (do not remember his exact words).

5 Likes

Yes, in my experience, judges have practiced in the location before they become judges, so they are familiar with the attorneys. Plus, a lot of judges have been around awhile, either as judges or practitioners. With respect to law clerks, all clerkships in NJ are one year positions, so while the judge may rely on his clerk’s opinion with respect to various attorney filings, that clerk has probably been with him for about a month at this point, so not enough time to develop an understanding of the attorney relationships and personalities.

5 Likes

Ah interesting. By me the law clerks followed the judges until the judge got made to Supreme and often that law clerk would be Conga lined to be the next judge to fulfill the vacancy.

3 Likes

Is this the bench that keeps getting mentioned from time to time the built in seat in this picture? It looks like a seat to put on boots or whatever. I don’t remember in the trial it mentioned which locker is Lk’s.

14 Likes

As an aside, that barn is gorgeous!

16 Likes

Could be, but it’s nowhere near the office/clubhouse.
So to suggest that recordings made there captured conversations in the office, club room, etc is, well… Nonsense.

17 Likes

Later today I’ll try to see if I can find it in testimony but the picture I remember from the trial showed that main hallway leading to the stairs and those lockers on the left, but not that little seat/cubby around the corner.

They even pointed out that the office, where many private conversations were held, and the lounge, also the scene of private conversations, were up those stairs. Yet, somehow, a recorder in those wood lockers managed to capture those private recordings, allegedly.

I imagine that will be more fleshed out in the civil trial, starting with Lauren’s deposition.

11 Likes

Yeah, NJ has a clerkship program and a lot of people do it right after law school because it pays ok and is a good way for young attorneys to get connections to local law firms. Some people enjoy being a clerk and apply for appellate or supreme court placements, which are more competitive. But they also have one year limits.

7 Likes

It would have to have an extremely powerful microphone I would think to pick up those areas.

4 Likes

So, anything further filed regarding the contempt charges? I don’t suppose a ruling is likely by today but it would be nice.

3 Likes

Nothing new so far.

3 Likes

Incredibly powerful, one would think.

3 Likes

I am just looking at that little tiny itty bitty spot where one might change their boots quickly and trying to figure out how a group of people hang out there and have a conversation…

6 Likes