MB Civil Trial: JK/KK Contempt of Court?

I would have died. Stick me in a box and bury me just reading about it.

18 Likes

Good post!

I will add that it is entirely possible that LK wanted to make a video of herself riding with Ulf and wanted to try to look like an Olympic rider ( :roll_eyes:) in the video - and maybe to try to prove a point to someone. But Ulf knew there was no way he could get her to get horsie engaged without some help, so the short term goal of making a video on a “round” horsie took priority over the long term goal of really learning how to make horsie round without mechanical assistance.

5 Likes

Good point. But they are probably more dedicated and stronger, with more stamina, and are more effective with better feel and better control of their bodies.

1 Like

And what a perfect name for an Appy! :grin:

3 Likes

If that’s the case, I can only think of the plan as a huge flop.

A video of a horse that is “round” due to a cord over its nose is not going to impress anyone with half a clue. And the clueless people won’t know the difference between round or not, with or without a cord over its nose.

9 Likes

Ha, my aunt had Saddlebreds and I’m not sure they could hold a candle to an App when it comes to being a prankster! :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Agree it would have truly been a flop with folks who know what they are looking at. And clueless folks wouldn’t recognized the difference. Then you get the folks who are somewhere in the middle and know just enough to understand that a dressage horse is supposed to look - ahem - “round” but don’t get it that a mechanical device is being used to make the horsie look round. And I wouldn’t be surprised if she told them the device was to help HER because she was(don’t you know) all weak and not right from “being shot twice in the chest at point blank range.”

3 Likes

Many Joker stallion lines in the Appy registry. The famous Plaudit was by a Joker stud as well.

My farrier’s in-laws owned the great Crocodile. The have this huge photo of him in their barn aisle.
Crocodile with Twinkie

29 Likes

That’s quite the story you’ve made up.

I noticed most people are blaming LK for this but not much being said about the trainer. Both are to blame for this contraption.

8 Likes

What a wonderful story! Yep, I did the biggest jump of my life on my little Appy mare. I was always a chicken-s*** about jumping but had no choice to not take a HUGE log one day while out galloping trails with friends. We were a large group and were motoring along like wild Indians when all of a sudden this fallen tree appeared in front of us across the trail. There were too many horses chasing along behind us to risk pulling up so we just went for it (maresie always had to be in front, even though she was much smaller than many of the other horses). Whee - she never hesitated and flew it like it was something we did every day. And I somehow managed to stay in the tack, which is a bit of a miracle in and of itself. Ah, the good ol’ days! :laughing:

13 Likes

Didn’t Gene LaCroix invent that? I even had one for a while.

1 Like

I imagine it was more a lack of caring. Ulf probably has enough going on that LK was a drop in his bucket of things to do, whether she showed or not, that he simply didn’t care what she did or didn’t do during a lesson. I imagine he just went along doing whatever he had to do so as not to have a headache to deal with. I imagine that is how the K’s prefer things to go: shut up and let me do as I want.

7 Likes

A former boss and his wife stood a Joker-bred stallion, and we had an Appy at a dressage barn I was at for many years that taught dozens and dozens and dozens of beginners the rudiments of dressage. He could also jump and was a great trail horse unless he saw deer - he could do a 180 “I’m outa here” faster than any horse I have ever ridden! :grin:

7 Likes

Quite a bit has been said about the trainer, actually.

Plus, as the horses owner and rider, you’re(g) the advocate for the horse. I have stopped a clinic before (private, just me and the instructor) when I felt as though the clinicians methods were detrimental to my training goals and my horses health and well being. I’ve only done it once, it took a lot of guts, but I owed it to my horse to be his advocate. The clinician and I had a good discussion and parted ways amicably.

18 Likes

Funnily enough, there was another successful Appaloosa jumper named Crocodile about 20 years later on the East Coast. I think he ended up being a good horse for Henri Prudent.

6 Likes

This! Olympic caliber trainers are not necessarily the best at teaching the fundamentals.

7 Likes

Yeah, I am finally caught up on posts!

So to get back to the filings. Legal Eagles, am I interpreting this correctly?

The judge is trying to decide how to rule on:

• Three motions filed on 8/24
  • One cross-motion filed on 8/31
  • An opposition to a motion filed on 9/1
  • A cross-motion filed on 9/1
  • An opposition to a motion filed on 9/4
  • An opposition to a motion filed on 9/6
  • Two cross-motions to quash filed on 9/15
  • Three oppositions to motions filed on 9/16

Plus he has to wade through reply briefs submitted on 9/6 and 9/16.

And given the complexity (and vagueness (?) and sloppiness (?)) of some of the filings, I guess I am not surprised it is taking him so long to issue decisions.

8 Likes

That horse is clearly stressed out. Seeing the horse’s obvious signs of discomfort along with the smiley face rather irritates my bowels unpleasantly.

Now to catch up on 220+ posts. Thanks guys!! :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

If I recall an LK post correctly from somewhere, she commented that she wasn’t “allowed” to show until she rode a 90% at home. If that was Ulf who said that, he guaranteed he’d never take anyone to a show!

6 Likes

I agree 100000% because they expect the basics to be there before they get the rider. Again, I point back to Lauren’s excellent show experience just a few months prior to coming to him so he could have assumed the basics were confirmed.

4 Likes