Unlimited access >

MB Civil Trial: JK/KK Contempt of Court?

She covers a lot of pop culture cases - I don’t care that much about these cases, but I enjoy the way she presents the material and have learned a lot about the court system by watching her. The Crumbl Cookie lawsuit is a funny and short one (because its still ongoing). The Murdoch murders and Girardi cases are very interesting, but cover darker material.

2 Likes

The Murdoch murders are fascinating to me, so I may give that a shot. Thanks!

5 Likes

Can MB also go ahead and countersue if the plaintiffs are trying to back out?

6 Likes

I’m sure it’s all part of their brilliant plan. Us peasants simply don’t know!

Man your bomb shelters everyone! Prepare for bombs to be dropped! ThE rEcOrDiNgS!

I mean, in all seriousness I’m sure they have some sort of strategy, but it might only make sense to them :thinking:

10 Likes

I think the only person covering the Murdaugh murders worth their salt is Mandy Matney. She’s been working on it for almost three years now and she & Wil & Liz are SC residents. Everyone else is cribbing off of their investigative reporting.

A new installment drops on Wednesdays.

Fitsnews.com. and Pandora, Spotify, etc. for the podcast.

beckons

Join me in my horrified fascination!

11 Likes

Thank you @ekat and @Sdel for explaining the legal documents.

Oh interesting. I did not know this. Failure to provide evidence does not just become a void, it becomes a point that can be brought up. So interesting.
Can it be brought up during questing at the trial? Like - KK, you were asked to provide the transcripts of the recordings that you claimed many times to have made, but you refused to provide those transcripts, correct?

5 Likes

I was a defendant in one case where the plaintiff failed to respond to court orders, the case was dismissed with prejudice ending the ordeal forever

Can a motion to dismiss be filed by the defendant against the plaintiff before the matter goes in front of the jury,

yes, after the plaintiff failed to respond to court requests in my case we never even got to the courtroom

and like this case mine was drug out over about five years before the judge said there was enough done.

8 Likes

Well well well, isn’t this interesting? Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive

15 Likes

Now we’re getting to the fun part. Can’t wait to see how this turns out!

6 Likes

I wonder how much poop is hitting the fan over at chez kanarek? I’m sure they truly believed that SGF would just settle and that MB would be imprisoned and settle with them too.

I can’t imagine being their attorneys, because you know those guys are getting a load of abuse about this.

And the motions to compel do ask for and the forms of order do allow for a bench warrant. They are pissing off the judge before they even begin! What are they like?

18 Likes

That’s a good point, but here the Kanareks are in a worse situation because of the counter claim, they could jerk around, but they other parties will just ask for a summary judgement against them. Which means the other parties get what they ask for based, at least in this case, by the lack of defense.

13 Likes

Interesting.

4 Likes

@anon15718925 ??

5 Likes

She’s been conspicuously quiet lately though, hasn’t she?
Maybe she’s sick with COVID?

2 Likes

Well Florida’s free spirit is alive and well; masks are few and far between and I know more people who have gotten Covid in the last six months than in the first two+ years. That said, wasn’t there some discussion on a prior thread that she was rarely out and about, relying on RG to go to stores, etc? Questions re where and how often riding - or not?

Anyway, my jaw dropped last night when I saw all this. Sounds like we will have some entertainment for a while.

7 Likes

If the plaintiff’s case were to get dismissed, MB’s existing counter suit can still stand on its own, and if the plaintiff is being so uncooperative that her suit is dismissed, it bodes well for MB.

18 Likes

Soooooo, point 3, I bet KK wishes she hadn’t put in writing, repeatedly, on COTH that she’d personally transcribed “the tapes” right about now. A whole bunch of folks told her to step away from COTH for her own good, that it wasn’t helping her or LK, but she just couldn’t do it. :frowning:

I figured something must have happened regarding the case in the last few days as LK has been posting on Insta, and that pretty much only happens when something’s been going on behind the scenes that’s about to be made public.

10 Likes

In retrospect, much like her daughter, she would have been wise to heed the folks telling her to step away.

14 Likes

I finally got to read through, and the LK one is interesting! The argument that between recordings and social media posts and other exhibits, that she must appear in person is compelling. Can’t help but remember when so many told Lala to stop posting as she was only hurting herself… and here we go!

18 Likes

Litigators: what are the possible explanations for the Kanarek behaviour here: we ignored the subpoenas because

1. …we are above the law
  2. …of bad legal counsel
  3. …we are too shambolic to timely respond

What other reasons would there be to give - legitimate reasons?

It is striking that LK chose the venue and is now refusing to turn up to that venue. It is all so entitled and ‘rules for thee but not for we’. I cannot imagine any ‘global top 5 blue chip law firm’, whether on speed dial or not, putting up with this kind of :ox: :poop:.

The plaintiff showing contempt for the process is a real :astonished: and will reflect poorly on whomsoever represents them. I got a vibe off that guy who slagged off the jury as ‘insane’ that he doesn’t have a lot of professional scruples so maybe his clients being held in contempt is no bigs/par for the course for him?

In the types of firms in which I have practiced, this kind of low-lifey behaviour would be an excellent way to get yourself fired as a client.

28 Likes