MB update

QFP

1 Like

QFP

QFP

QFP

Soooo 2000 posts ago I made a comment that it is POSSIBLE that jury nullification was in play, and then you quote that out of context, pull it into a discussion about a very recent post by @ekat discussing various factors that may have been in play WHILE the jury was deliberating, which MIGHT have influenced their decision to reach a verdict immediately prior to a 5 day holiday recess after which they would have been called back to deliberate more

And somehow
 you think you have definitely proven
 What exactly? What are you proving?

Why don’t you stick with the actual discussion we are currently having champ.

22 Likes

Yes, it’s normal for a jury to start out not unanimous and after deliberation either reach true unanimously held verdict. If some jurors are genuinely not persuaded by the deliberations to change their stance, they’re supposed to continue deliberating until unanimity is reached or a hung jury is declared.

Regarding the bolded in your post: that’s a normal, honest, unanimous verdict. It doesn’t matter what they thought individually before deliberations, just what they thought after deliberations and all honestly supported as the unanimous verdict.

1 Like

You can save yourself the typing. It requires one character for a post so something as simple as a period will work. Unless you are trying to make the point that you are quoting things to save them

10 Likes

Oh good. Glad we can agree.

Do you think when jurors are looking at a 5 day recess, and then getting called back to deliberate more AFTER that recess, that it MIGHT POSSIBLY incentivize them to settle on a particular verdict they have been agonizing over, rather than coming back for many more days of deliberation and possibly hanging?

Call me crazy
 but I think that pressure might factor into the deliberations just a little bit.

5 Likes

I think the problem is calling the jury “dishonest” or not obeying instructions. I don’t think Ekat, VHM, myself, etc., thing anything of the sort.

One can compromise to come to a unanimous decision and that does not make one dishonest. As CH, said, “after deliberations and all honestly supported as the unanimous decision”. How does that rule out compromise???

If they started out 6-6 NG vs NGRI. And,during the deliberations. the 6 NG folks felt like NGRI was a viable answer given the appalling failure of evidence. Isn’t that compromise?? Isnt’ that honestly deliberating?

16 Likes

Amen! Dogs are the best!

3 Likes

In this situation, I would imagine all 12 jurors think long and hard about what might happen if they hang. If MB is retried
 it’s possible the next jury will find him guilty.

There would be a lot of pressure on all 12 jurors in this hypothetical situation to reach a verdict to avoid a hung jury and retrial situation

8 Likes

So, to be clear, you do not agree with Nagel that the jury/verdict was insane?

6 Likes

Hmm, someone else made this argument about moving horses
 And look how that turned out.

I agree it would be best if he moves. With the price of land right now, and apparently many supporters, I think this could be done even with other stuff going on. It would be hard, but not impossible.

3 Likes

I would think that whether they’re coming up on another Tuesday, or a normal weekend, or a five day weekend, the jurors always would like to reach a verdict as soon as possible and get done.

They should continue coming back until the deliberations have resulted in a genuinely unanimous verdict, or until a hung jury is declared.

If that genuine unanimity is achieved, regardless of disparate opinions prior to deliberation, I am correct in inferring that the unanimous verdict of NGRI implies that the jury, as finders of fact, determined that, beyond a reasonable doubt, the prosecutor established all elements of his case aside from intent.

If some jurors were not persuaded by the deliberations to genuinely agree to a verdict of NGRI, and nevertheless just said that they agreed to NGRI to avoid coming back after a five day weekend, or a two day weekend, that would be an example of the jury not doing it’s job correctly.

I have been assuming all along that the jury did its job honestly and correctly, while correctly understanding the jury instructions. Based on Ekat’s post, I now know that I have to make that assumption explicit.

1 Like

Will someone please explain to me in very, very elementary terms why @CurrentlyHorseless and @hut-ho78 continue to bring up and debate the criminal verdict? Do they expect the verdict to be overturned or something equally strange? Please explain to me what the absolute obsession with the verdict is to these people other than it wasn’t straight up guilty with Barisone heading to prison for life. Maybe it’s time for them to drop that from their collection of tangents to post over and over and over and over again.

30 Likes

Coming from someone who doesn’t care enough about anything we post to even read them as stated more than once
although you do call for us to come back when we don’t post for a while. :thinking:

3 Likes

Because every like, bump, or response is a reward.

20 Likes

A juror being polled and saying “this is my verdict; NGRI” if the juror does not think the prosecutor proved his case (except for the issue of intent) that’s an example of a dishonest juror.

Ekat never said that she actually thought that there were dishonest jurors or jurors who misunderstood the jury instructions. However, she brought up the possibility of various deviations from correct, fully informed behavior of the jury to refute my statement that the jury decision of NGRI implies that the jury determined “that he shot her”.

It just means that for my statement to be correct, I need to make explicit the assumption that I had left implicit: that the jury was acting correctly and consistently with jury instructions.

If the 6 jurors (or even one juror) felt that there was “an appalling failure” of evidence on the prosecutor establishing his case, then those jurors should have held out for straight NG or hung the jury. It would be a travesty for them to simply agree with the other 6 and then decide between Guilty or NRGI.

1 Like

The two situations are not even slightly comparable.
One is a business, with buildings and land development. The other is a random boarder with a few horses.

It is kind of insulting that you compare the two.

12 Likes

At the time of the deliberations I was thinking about a hung jury and possible retrial and it just seemed so horrible to me to put MB through that again. I wonder if on a human level that thought also affected at least some of the jurors, who had been in the room with him through the trial.

9 Likes