MB update

True, but they are beginning to move north as well. TIEC and VHC have major CDIs now with more to come. Barisone is going to be just fine.

5 Likes

Thank you! “Secure environment” and “within the legal system” are exactly the point.

1 Like

Thank you! Good to know!

2 Likes

Here’s NJ law on the subject, which sounds like Warmblood1’s post:

30:4-27.20. Discharge of voluntary patients
A voluntary patient at a short-term care or psychiatric facility or special psychiatric hospital shall be discharged by the treatment team at the patient’s request. The treatment team shall document all requests for discharge, whether oral or written, in the patient’s clinical record. The facility shall discharge the patient as soon as possible but in every case within 48 hours or at the end of the next working day from the time of the request, whichever is longer, except that if the treatment team determines that the patient needs involuntary commitment, the treatment team shall initiate court proceedings pursuant to section 10 of this act. The facility shall detain the patient beyond 48 hours or the end of the next working day from the time of the request for discharge, only if the court has issued a temporary court order.

8 Likes

I think you would be surprised. Also, I don’t know if you mean to imply this, but many psychiatric conditions are treatable. Often what decides which are not responsive to treatment have more to do with comorbidities in the patient than the treated condition.

So one person with depression may not have the successful outcome that another with schizophrenia does.

12 Likes

LOL. You’re right, every doctor is going to risk their medical license and the safety of the public or their patients by allowing a patient who has admitted they have intent to kill themselves or someone else to just walk out the door any time. No problems there.

And you’re right, every window and door is left wide open, unlocked. Because that’s how facilities house patients that are a danger to themselves and/or others. Let them leave at their will to commit homicide.

/sarcasm

By the way, most patients in private facilities are voluntary. I’d say 8/10. Once they are admitted, protocol is no different from voluntary versus involuntary. Does not matter.

15 Likes

There was a saying
 something to do with pigs and lipstick :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Ok, but LK has so few “supporters” and fewer that seem to have managed to mention things that can only be attributed to CotH. Specifically ones that make references that seem to relate directly to you two.

10 Likes

Either that, or opinion on the interwebz is not quite as lopsided as you imagine.

1 Like

This is a very important comment. It is my opinion that MOST mental health issues are treatable. It is to Barisone’s benefit that he sought medical help years ago and had learned skills to help him with life.

I hope Dr. Simring has been able to communicate with Michael professionally and has coordinated with the medical staff at AK, if appropriate.

I think of all the men I know who returned from Vietnam with severe PTSD. Of those who sought help all became successful, happy individuals. Those who ignored help seemed to flounder in their private lives, my brother included, and were never quite whole again.

12 Likes

Complete and utter codswallop

28 Likes

:joy:
If you read it you would see, it’s numbers after all dude, how the majority feel.

17 Likes

You do realize that involuntary patients and voluntary patients are housed in the same ward, yes?

A patient is not committed on the sole basis they have depression. They have to show imminent danger to themselves or someone else, or be significantly unable to care for themselves to an extent that they present imminent danger to themselves or others.

Also, whether the psychiatric conditions are “treatable” has no bearing on threat or risk. That is not how commitment is determined.

ETA: regarding treatment, every psychiatric condition is “treatable.” Not every psychiatric condition is curable. There aren’t any psychiatric conditions where their doctor would say, do not apply any treatment, there is no potential for response. Any psychiatric condition has the potential to respond to treatment.

21 Likes

It is also an assessment site, where people go to be assessed regarding their current mental status and the safety of the person being assessed and the larger community’s safety if they were to be released now. In other words, you don’t have to be committed in order to be there. You could be there for an assessment prior to release.

I think Barisone will be home in time for Christmas, figuring in delays in the court system.
Sheilah

20 Likes

Not true. They are in a locked unit just like the involuntarily committed patients. Difference is they can discharge themselves. That is the ONLY difference.
Sheilah

15 Likes

Here’s the deal. LK is losing (lost) in the court of public opinion. LK doesn’t know how to lose. Daddy O has never allowed that. She doesn’t know how to handle the big L. She will continue to get the big L as long as she stomps her feet and screams at her windshield. Well adjusted people have introspect and grow. That’s not the case here and that’s why so many people are astounded by her actions.

[edit]

Just my 2 cents.

38 Likes

Great post, @KurPlexed.

7 Likes

Dare I say, the majority of us here are “with horses” and are are all too familiar with the big L, unfortunately :confused:

19 Likes

Hear, hear. Horses usually humble most and the ones that are humbled are usually excellent horse people. There seems to be a small group of people attracted to riding who are all about control, however. Trying to control all aspects of their life and I feel controlling horses can fuel that need.

12 Likes

I did not see any competition results under her name on the USEF site before the first dressage results a few years back. Obviously, that would not exclude the possibility of unrecognized hunter/jumper shows.

7 Likes