MB update

I Like having German Shepherds. If you get the right bloodlines and give the right training you can have a pretty reliable dog to deter unwanted people from entering you space.

24 Likes

Does anyone see the distinct irony in the fact certain posters seem to think the person

who has not been on social media in 3 years

who has not uttered one public word about the incident

who has not threatened more people than we can estimate on public forums

who has not run their mouth about the details involving their injuries

who has not at best stretched the truth, or at the worst, out and out lied about the extent of those injuries

who has not stalked multiple online message boards about any comments concerning the case, and digs up month old threads to argue with anonymous people about their comments

is not the person who cannot move on???

50 Likes

Gorgeous gorgeous dog.

8 Likes

So I did so and one comment made by Lauren was that she responded because she had been “tagged”. Except she wasn’t. Her name wasn’t mentioned in the post and clearly no one tagged her.

She’s necroposting. As is her right.

23 Likes

Well, I think I’ve read about 15k MB posts without posting myself, but couldn’t resist commenting on protection dogs.

Forget them. Get a flock of geese. :grin:

People are waaaay more afraid of geese than any dog, and they can’t be bribed with treaties by intruders. The US Army used (maybe still does) geese to patrol bases in Germany because they worked so much better than dogs.

When I leased my farm I had two very friendly geese, but the meter reader was so scared of them that he would drive his truck right up to the pole holding the meter and climb halfway out to read it. He wouldn’t open his door at all! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

36 Likes

Lord have mercy, I have only had one cup of coffee this morning, so had to read this several times before it sank into my foggy brain. :grin:

But I think your point is quite astute!

6 Likes

Do geese work night shift?

I admit I’m nervous of geese because until a goose showed me how, I didn’t think youcould twist the skin on your shin

30 Likes

And she will never stop, because the shooting gave her what she craves more than anything - attention.

One has to wonder why, at age 40-something, she so desperately needs that attention. (I can make a good guess about why, but I can’t express it here without her “defenders” raising Cain with the mods.)

26 Likes

It’s like Miranda rights, which I believe was based on a person named Miranda in a landmark case. Now everyone who watches any cop show has heard of Miranda rights

4 Likes

That’s super fascinating!

I know the Navy has used other animals to guard ships in port. Sea mammals.

Personally, though I love dogs, I know my limitations as an owner, when it comes to providing super consistent discipline and being the sort of “pack leader” that certain breeds require to be their best selves. Plus, I have a family and children, and my kid’s friends coming and going
 and I worry that certain breeds could get into trouble when placed in a situation like this.

So we have a wonderful older Labrador.

I have been obsessed with adding a flock of guineas to my farm though. I’ve got a great set up for it, would love the tick management, and they are an effective means of announcing when any stranger comes on property. We’ve just had too many projects going on the last few years. Maybe next year I will finally do it :slight_smile:

I wonder if MBs neighborhood in Florida would allow him to add a flock of guineas to his property. Some neighborhoods have rules against them.

4 Likes

Ha, I was just discussing with my spouse what kind of companion animal we could get for our Welsh Terrier that would put her in her place. She is a classic “Terrierist”, so another dog is out of the question because she DOES.NOT.BACK.DOWN from other dogs, not matter how much bigger they are. I suggested half-seriously that a goose could probably put her in her place! :laughing:

5 Likes

Be aware that guineas wander far and wide. As do peacocks. Much farther and wider than chickens tend to do.

4 Likes

Fortunately, my smallish farm is surrounded by much larger farms :slight_smile: Fields with crops.

And
 there is one immediate neighbor. That we have a tense relationship with. If the guineas wandered their way and made noise
 :smirk:

3 Likes

We had a house with a creek running parallel to the road, all the houses on our side had bridges.
Every spring people dumped ducks
 One year a goose appeared.
It quickly took up residence on our porch, waiting for me (we fed them all) and pecking at the back of my knees all the way to the bus stop

Geese are no joke.

9 Likes

And boy, can they make noise

2 Likes

In the movie in my head, my flock of guineas would routinely hang out in the neighbor’s yard, making their Guinea sounds.

Of course I would apologize profusely. And do my best to appear sincere.

9 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

They’re gorgeous! :heart_eyes: They are a lot darker than most I’ve seen, colored more like the malinois. Is that due to their bloodlines?

1 Like

Lol! Geese do work the night shift—they don’t go unconscious at nightfall like chickens.

Funny story. At the farm we also had chickens that were shut up at night, but we had a couple of nights in a row where something was getting into the coop and killing a couple of hens. We couldn’t find the point of entry, so the ex and I opened the hay loft door, which faced the coop, and sat there with a gun and waited for the predator.

We finally heard a noise and turned a flashlight on, thinking the possum or weasel had shown up. Nope, it was a red fox, companionably sharing the water dish with both of the geese. :flushed:

So, ironically, they would raise holy hell if a human came by, but apparently their fox buddy was ok. Of course, they were twice the size of the fox, but still

(We didn’t shoot the fox—he clearly wasn’t the chicken killer.)

9 Likes

Geese are fine but I’d be concerned as to their nighttime protection.

A silly thought here: Whenever I see the word Krol my brain does this LOL

3 Likes