Michael Barisone/Lauren Kanarek Civil Suit

Here you go. One more reason I am not an eventer. Lol.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0fJZ6stcGd74f9oRg9x66J72Awb6Kwn5X7XbYi5ZCqddSgWGJpEorPGU6XL6cSLGDl&id=100044439489390

7 Likes

One can access it through the vid posted upthread. Click on his name in the upper left.

I know ice baths are a thing for runners.

3 Likes

If I’m taking an ice bath it’s only because there’s a boat named Titanic sinking next to me.

I abhor cold water. Just thinking about it is cramping my muscles.

19 Likes

I think he’s had alot of nasty falls, and hospitalizations, if I recall, and I bet he has very specific routines for taking care of his body. All I can think of is how quickly that kind of ice becomes painful! Its great the horses stay standing in it!

5 Likes

There is an optimum time allowed and penalties for going too fast as well as too slow. A min and a max if you will. :white_check_mark:

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Have never been there. What an odd set-up for a cross country course.

Am pretty sure Boyd still works with Gurubee, his wellness coach, and that’s where the rider ice baths post competition come in. I’ve been following his work with Boyd for a while, but here’s a good article from last year …

… and a link to Gurubee’s page:-

Boyd hugely credits Gurubee for his success.

10 Likes

Ha! Sidebar for a memory you made come to my mind.
I remember a mix-up in entries at an event back in the late 70s. I had a green horse that I was taking in the old Pre-Training (I believe it was max height of 2’11"). My friend, a less experienced rider in her first event, was taking a school horse packer also Pre-Training.

Somehow, the event secretary entered my friend in Training (3’3" max height). We found this out the evening of the course walk the day before the event. Management couldn’t make room for another horse in Pre-Training, so my trainer asked if I would swap with my friend and take the greenie in Training. During the course walk, all I could think was that I was going to die.

I really wanted the mare to have a good experience, so I babied her over the course, taking my time, even trotting her a few times between jumps to settle her down. (I actually had to wave the following rider on at one point. :smile:). We had one dicey jump over a hay wagon filled with hay (did I mention, she was afraid of hay bales?). The wagon was at the end of a long field with a straight shot to the jump. She was sucking back half-way across the field as soon as she spotted the fence. The almost refusal ended with a deer leap off all fours.

But we made it over everything and came in with only time faults. (My trainer jokingly said she had been ready to send a search party out for us). What one will do in our 20s and wonder in our 60s how we ever survived. :roll_eyes:

ETA: Hmm, I wonder if this was one of the reasons I ended up going strictly dressage in my 30s. :grinning:

31 Likes

Gorgeous boy! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you all for the kind words about Airborne. He certainly is the best horse to have for a last horse (maybe). I just know if I get another horse, I won’t be able to do the right elderly thing and buy a steady eddy. Why bother? The best part of riding is the galloping across country on a brave/fearless mount. My first horse at age 12 was a 17 hand TB mare off the track and we would hack 10 miles one way to get to the water company property where we would gallop all through woods and over stone walls and through farmer’s hay fields. Alone. On a mare who would randomly buck me off so far from home, and barrell kick me if I tried to catch her, and I would have to find a rock to get back on her when I finally did catch her. I could have died. But I didn’t. And I loved it and still do. LOL. If I get another horse, I keep thinking of getting another OTTB. I love their brains. Some hunter’s gonna find my body in the spring somewhere after the snow melts and that’s a fine way to go by me.

30 Likes

That is a great story! It is amaziing you did that course so slow, as a nice gallop gives good momentum for the size jumps, but hey, when I was a kid, I rode my mare jumpers, and my trainer would have us walk 4 foot courses, to build up her muscles, so your mare must have been nicely athletic to take her time over those fences and I’m sure it felt mmuch safer to think about your approaches. The trick in eventing is to let the horse find their own take off, which goes against the grain of hunter riders who train how to place their horse optimally for each fence, and that’s a whole different set of balls to have when youre doing 3’3"

9 Likes

At this point in her training, she was a tricky ride. She had been abused and was afraid of men and anyone on the ground when being ridden. This made her extremely nervous because of the spectators at each fence.

I would pick up a nice gallop well before fences, jump, but then need to settle her after. Her instinct after the jump was to run away from the spectators. If I trotted and petted her, she would calm down, then I could re-develop a nice gallop before the next jump.

This was her first event. I had done combined tests with her before this, but getting her comfortable with the spectators clustered at each jump on cross country was definitely a big learning curve for her.

9 Likes

What about competitive driving? Endurance? Competitive trail riding?

5 Likes

Fantastic how you took her along. What a fascinating ride. That is the training and respect she needed. Rather than fall back to safer disciplines, you encountered her ghosts with her and reassured her to be brave. I love doing that with a horse. Those are the partners our horses need moving ahead. After that, she could have a safe Horse Tral or hunter pace. She knew you were her partner and could sk for that from her next rider, if they knew. I love walking a horse through their growth like that.

11 Likes

Things I think about when I can’t sleep:

I wonder if one of the reasons LK has refused to take the SS training and keep her membership active is that the the training covers in detail appropriate relationships with minor children? Like including a parent on all texts and electronic communication?

Sort of a psychological denial of how awful stalking MHG’s kids was? And setting up a “I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to do that, I wasn’t current on the training.” defense?

22 Likes

If I had to guess - and this is purely a guess - is that taking the course is necessary to be a member in good standing and that maybe somewhere in the rules there’s language about some issue and members in good standing. And that she thinks or was told that that technicality exempts her from whatever regulation that is.

Or, she just doesn’t want to until she has to.

9 Likes

Except she was current in 2019 because she was showing at the time, so that defense won’t fly.

And I’m not sure the texting a parent rule would apply because she’s not a trainer, and there isn’t a power imbalance situation there. But maybe simply the adult/child situation would make it a kind of power imbalance?

And her USEF membership is current/in good standing. She just can’t show until SS is brought up to date. Doesn’t affect her USEF membership itself.

8 Likes

I doubt anyone will ever see Lauren Shay Kanarek in a show ring again for a variety of reasons.

14 Likes

I think LK is very interesting conundrum for SafeSport.

She is a pretty clear cut example of a client and athlete harassing and mentally abusing a trainer. In an extreme way.

It’s really problematic for SafeSport to be an entire system of rules that only applies in one direction. I understand the arguments about power imbalances… but… if they allow harassment and mental abuse like this to go unsanctioned? It’s very problematic.

23 Likes

I hate to bother y’all and please excuse my ignorance, but can someone give me the Cliff Notes on how we found out/knew about this “trying to friend the kids”?

I’m pretty good at scrolling-on-by but I’m bad at scrolling-back-up and my iPad is bad at it, too!
I think I’m going to name it Hal!
TIA.

6 Likes