Michael Barisone/Lauren Kanarek Civil Suit

???
Heading off the defense that “she provoked me into shooting her”? Of course it’s an obvious move for the plaintiff.

That settlement agreement linked here had them paying out $500,000 in fees and costs to the plaintiffs.

9 Likes

Her provocations are 100% relevant to her claims that SGF was negligent and didn’t do enough to protect her from an unsafe situation involving a volatile person.

As for you knowing MB shot Lollypop… I guess you really DO have ESPN as well. Or… it is actually more accurate to say that it is your strong opinion that MB shot Lollypop.

I don’t know what MB’s lawyers and doctors have informed him of. I don’t think you know either. I think most of that communication is privileged or private.

20 Likes

Something that stands out to me is that the author refers to his ‘client’ on a first name basis, not “the Plaintiff” or “Ms. Kanarek” while referring to MB “Barisone” or “defendant Barisone.”

Derringer tended to use “Ms. Kanarek” so its a bit odd that this author uses “Lauren” it seems to indicate strong familiarity. Maybe even familial.

30 Likes

Oh, was SGF aware that it was an unsafe situation involving a volatile, in fact insane, person … and a gun?

That does sound like negligence.

1 Like

The plaintiff doesn’t get to avoid key elements of discovery in furtherance of this goal. That’s not how the legal process works.

19 Likes

From the Daily Record article:

The arguments, heard in state Superior Court in Morristown on Wednesday, astounded Judge Stephen Taylor, who stated that defense attorneys had no objection when Barisone’s psychiatric information was “broadcast to the entire United States and who knows where else, internationally.”

“There was no objection to his detailed psychiatric history, child abuse issues, depression, being broadcast live,” Taylor said in his denial, “so I am a little taken aback by your concern now.”

Uh, that was his choice to share those details.
If his choice now is to protect his HIPAA right, then that’s that.
If this judge chooses to disrespect the right of a citizen in this way… Hmmm … Not attractive.
After sending that citizen to Greystone punitively?
Ouch. Is this judge elected?

40 Likes

Well, I’m looking forward to seeing the ruling from the judge.

Maybe you already know his ruling based on your sports channel subscriptions. I’m getting nothing from HBO on the issue.

1 Like

Again… NJ is a modified comparative negligence state.

Most people who see the full scope of the situation and people involved in it?

They will find that LK was 51% or more responsible for the situation. She intentionally created a volatile situation . And then refused to leave.

20 Likes

As has been explained repeatedly by the knowledgable amongst us, you cannot limit discovery in order to stave off a defense. That is not how this works. The fact that you think this is not just acceptable, but an “obvious move” explains a lot.

28 Likes

It was also a criminal case, so there was no privacy to waive.

26 Likes

right!? I’m so curious as to what was on that one single page.

8 Likes

Look, the plaintiff is in a bad spot, legal support for her position is obviously nil, since there isn’t a scrap of case law cited supporting her position. In this situation you do what you can. Even if it makes you look a bit thick. That’s why you make the big bucks…

26 Likes

Yes, comparative negligence will be argued.

I just don’t see the defense successfully establishing that it was due to her negligence or willful acts that caused his insanity.

1 Like

I wonder if it was a case involving someone other than Joey.

If so… I wonder who it might be.

Lollypop certainly does seem to have a consistent problem with impulse control.

10 Likes

Totally. I get why the lawyer is making the Hail Mary. I don’t get why a certain poster’s reaction doesn’t recognize it as such. If I was in her position, I would also hope my lawyer was making every effort - Hail Mary or not - to support my case. But as you said, it does make him look a bit thick! Lol.

Thanks, as always, for your input here! Sometimes these filings (by Deininger, Silver et al… not GAS!) make me want to go to law school. I appreciate the clarity and context you give to things!

18 Likes

I sort of feel sorry for GAS. The K’s are clearly aware of the public perception of Lauren’s actions, so they’re desperate to keep the jury from hearing any of it. I imagine JK is bullying him relentlessly to make some argument, any argument, make something up if you have to, to keep Lauren’s provocation off the table. I’m inclined to give GAS the benefit of the doubt that he knows there is no valid legal argument to do so. He’s running into a buzzsaw between having a bad client(s), a bad case, and going up against brilliant lawyers.

23 Likes

This is sort of a slippery slope and sort of underlines the fact that people take issue with being held accountable for their actions…but why is it on the landlord to remove you, warn you, or otherwise prevent you from being in danger? I get that they have a duty to (and I don’t know how NJ law reads here) provide safe housing, but to what extent?

I feel as though so many people would be bringing their LL’s to court right and left for every little thing. How deep should a LL/property owner be in your personal life and affairs?

Now, in this case I think it gets a bit weird because Barisone was a part of the SGF LLC, IIRC, so there is that. However, the question still remains, how much (legally and just has a point of conversation) should be on the other parties? How much is on you to remove yourself from danger? How much is on you to own your life, circumstances, and actions?

14 Likes

Did you hear that psycho was found guilty of more charges in jail? He held someone so that they could be stabbed.

Agreed. Clearly they realize at this point that if the extent of her “provocation” is discoverable, it is going to sink the ship. I am not certain, though, that it even has to do much at this point with public perception (read: potential jury member perception) as it does with the fact that there is A CRAP TON they know was excluded from the criminal trial, and they fear that if it’s open season in deposition they won’t have a chance in double hockey sticks of prevailing.

I am sure Deininger, Silver et al have plenty of damning evidence to question her about… and even to present to a jury as is. But certainly if she has to answer to their questions, there is likely much more. Once that door is open, it likely won’t be pretty. What more will come out?? Didn’t one of them allude today to 50 exhibits as yet unexplored through questioning? Imagine what those questions might lead to.

That’s why I think the Hail Marys are being flung and the hive was stirred in recent days.

I’ve only been through discovery once as a low-level employee, and it was stressful. But panic at this early stage by the plaintiff means a whole lot more in my mind than perception. She has a lot to hide.

ETA: I don’t feel sorry for GAS. I am sure he makes a handsome living. The next weeks, months (years?) may not be fun… but I am sure he reaps plenty of rewards for his troubles. [Edit: living, not loving. Thumbs!!! Siri!!!]

26 Likes