Michael Barisone/Lauren Kanarek Civil Suit

This doesn’t matter, it is still open to legal challenge and let the higher court decide whether court calendars overrule someone’s constitutional rights to due process.

That is their job, to determine if a lower court erred. You can err in good faith, and still have it be an error that results in the overturning of a previous judgement. It just depends on what the higher court feels the totality of the circumstances were.

ETA: you can even make errors that nobody would have ever thought were an error until someone challenges it persuasively in a higher court. Appellate law is very rarely about the issue on its face and much more often about underlying principles, precedent, context, and the “intent” of what a decision was supposed to accomplish.

37 Likes

Your by default doesn’t work that way. Attempted murder is not murder. They are different charges under different statutes entirely. There’s no, by default. The rule is quite specific. Notice it doesn’t say “by default” other random charges. You kind of do get credit if they live, because then it’s not murder.

Re: the 90 days: again, the law and the rules and the existing case law is quite specific. For example:

https://casetext.com/case/matter-of-commitment-of-raymond-s

35 Likes

I see a higher court has apparently already decided vis a vis the court calendar versus 14th amendment and found the court calendar on the losing side of that.

30 Likes

I wonder why they have to create fiction to support their position?
Sad.

24 Likes

I like how it is stated that the role of the judge is that of a neutral decision maker.

13 Likes

To take this one step further, I would think that EVERY defendant pleading NGRI would need to provide mental health information during their trial. And since these are the ONLY people who will then have Krol hearings in the months/years after their trial, it is reasonable to conclude that the Krol rules are intended to apply to IN PARTICULAR people who have of necessity disclosed mental health information during their trial.

22 Likes

I have not denigrated the legal professionals unless you consider daring to disagree with them as “denigrating them”.

I don’t equate disagreeing with someone with “denigrating” someone.

It’s a discussion board. People disagree.

I responded on the issue of the Krol rules that you posted.

Interestingly, that case also addresses Barisone being unable to cross-exam the author of the footnote in the report Judge Taylor used, and that commitment must be based on expert witness testimony.

32 Likes

Will no one think of the Calendars?!?!

14 Likes

I read the excerpts you posted. Did you not understand my response?

I have a question for the EIM :wink: .

What is the point or purpose of trying to educate or even help the perpetually and probably permanently obtuse?

42 Likes

Obviously he needed to provide psychiatric information to the court.

He didn’t need to agree to TV cameras.

Is it fun arguing with a lawyer?

14 Likes

At least for me, it’s for the benefit of other people reading more than anything. You cannot convince those who are not open to being convinced. You can, however, post information that can be used by others to form their own opinions.

55 Likes

My bad, sorry! But I did stop after just one itty-bitty post and will do my best to not falter again—As God is my Witness!

6 Likes

And to add to this excellent point, the legislature, when writing the commitment statutes were likely aware of the criminal statutes and wrote commitment statutes specifically closing them to public scrutiny except in the case of murder.

18 Likes

You make a LOT of assumptions. Explains a lot. Strange how you believe so strongly in them. Le sigh.

12 Likes

I see that the State of NJ has suspended all civil and matrimonial matters in two vicinages - covering about 6 counties - as of Feb 21.

I expect that this will result in at least one party to one of those matters suing the governor for being unable to manage to appoint any judges. That should make for a good time with appellate hearings centering around court system delays impacting due process, especially after the impacts of covid.

I’d certainly like to read the briefs.

21 Likes

Happens all the time. The “hail mary” if you will. Also sometimes referred to as the spaghetti test - throw things to the wall and see what sticks.

Some attorneys choose to waste time in such a way. After all, they’re paid by the hour.

38 Likes

Thank you.