Unlimited access >

Need a dog

in my breed there are a lot of show/performance breeders with litters on the ground. Doubtfully most puppies are already spoken-for, but i’m amazed at how many women i know are breeding now. I guess they have the time now because of covid.

Sometimes municipal-run shelters are easier to get dogs from, as many don’t have ‘applications’ to fill out. Rather, it is ‘the first person with the money…’ They may or may not do health check-ups, and may or may not spay/neuter pets before adoption.

I adopted a dog and two kittens from two different small municipal shelters. The first DID have an application, but it was simple, and the worker called my current vet asking, “Do you consider her a good pet owner?” I was approved, and a local animal support group gave me a certificate to reimburse me for having my dog spayed.

The second, an even smaller shelter, had a local vet who was a great believer in spaying/neutering, and I got my two kittens for $8.00 each! The two-hour drive was worth it to get Abby and Ziva.

The downside about municipal shelters is sometimes they CAN’T keep an animal indefinitely. IF you go that way and find an animal you like, I would call immediately, give them a definite date you will get the animal, and, maybe, pre-pay.

3 Likes

Can you mention the facebook page and I’l have a friend look at it for me. She is a old friend and professional dog trainer and I trust her judgement, She also is facebook savvy.
Thanks
I did try PM but failed as I am still not using this new forum correctly. Lets see I’ve been here since 2000 and it used to be simple.

Adoptable performance dogs is one I am on… Can’t remember others right now. Rehomed show dogs. Or something along those lines.

There’s a FAQ with tips about the new site here:

You sent me a PM around the time you started this thread, and responded. Seemed to work okay for you then? What problems are you having now?

1 Like

walkers60 if you’re still searching for a young RR, check out this one on Petfinder. He’s in Fayetteville NC at Cumberland County Animal Services. Nice looking dog.

1 Like

Thanks Maria I will check him out. Yes still looking actually for healthy young dog with no pitt in them.