NEW Barisone Court Filing - 7/15/21

Can you give the synopsis?

I hate paywalls so I found this article on the Patch:

ā€˜This Is War:ā€™ Cops Called 5X To Olympianā€™s Farm Before Shooting | Long Valley, NJ Patch

Listening to the 911 calls again, I wonder what ever happened with the restraining order. Itā€™s an interesting comment to declare ā€œThis is War.ā€

4 Likes

This from The Patch is about the actual situation. The Record is about the lawsuit. I posted a run down above as a response.

Eta: Basically a run down of Barisoneā€™s suit with Kanarekā€™s attorney saying itā€™s filled with lies. ā€œNo commentā€ from the PD or any of those named in the suit.

2 Likes

Basically a run down of Barisoneā€™s suit with Kanarekā€™s attorney saying itā€™s filled with lies. ā€œNo commentā€ from the PD or any of those named in the suit.

1 Like

can you screenshot?

2 Likes

I love how the icon for a ā€œForeverā€ ignore is a hammer.
Sheilah

9 Likes

The ban hammer.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl:

The tribe has spokenā€¦

4 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What is the problem? That is what it is called on multiple platforms when you put someone on ignore forever, or ban them from posting on your site. A ban hammer. Hence the icon. I have no power here to ban anyone.

The banhammer originated in 1996 in Microsoft Chat , in which sometimes non-program users could be granted moderation positions. Users who receive these powers marks with a hammer icon next to their name, one gold, and one brown. The functions of these users involved, among others, banning.

Since then, the meme has been extended, and also the term banhammer is used to refer to the banning tool of the administrators, and many gifs and memes have been created.

4 Likes

A complete change of topic; what ever happened to respecting copyright laws? $1 for 6 months seems pretty cheap to me and journalist/publishers deserve to make a living too. For those whining about paywalls; do you work for free?

I wouldnā€™t bother to have posted anything on this if you had simply given your own synopsis. By circumventing the paywall, youā€™ve yielded the moral high ground.

100 points from Ravenclaw

10 Likes

You are correct. I will fix that right now. Thank you.

3 Likes

I donā€™t know - how is this different from when I would buy a copy of the Post and I would cut out, copy and share recipes with friends? Or articles that I thought they might find interesting?

The number of newspaper clippings my grandparents sent us was legion.

9 Likes

Thank you

$1 for 6 months is generous, indeed. I agree that journalists deserve to be paid. The issue I have with paywalls is, I subscribe to 6 newspapers (covering 3 different countries) and my husband subscribes to one in addition. We do that precisely because we DO care that journalists get paid and wish to support their work.

But then I want to read an occasional article from another source. Some give you a couple free a month and that works. Others, however, donā€™t. My friend is the editor of a big UK broadsheet and I never get to read their stuff. I just cannot justify an 8th subscription for a one-off or occasional read.

If I was hoping on my old tube station and saw their paper at the news agent, Iā€™d grab it once in awhile for the cost of a single issue. I wish there was an option to get a daily edition for the cost of a single issue at the news agent.

12 Likes

Making and distributing duplicates of copyrighted material is the same thing as circumventing a paywall; itā€™s called stealing where I come from (daughter of a printer). Probably closer to petty theft and not a felony, but still stealing. I will admit that I too have shared articles/recipes with others, but I try really hard to send a link and let them decide if they want to see it or not. Also, most big online publications typically allow a certain number of ā€œfreeā€ reads.

Your grandparents on the other hand passed on the actual physical copy of the newspaper they purchased I assume, albeit, a portion of it. Totally cool.

In the early days of computers, software licenses used a phrase along the lines of ā€œuse it like a bookā€ which meant basically that you could share it, but only 1 person could use it at a time.

The digital age has raised some significant challenges regarding intellectual property and copyright rights, but thatā€™s another discussion.

4 Likes

Well, if Bezos wants to chase me down for it, he can have at it. Plus that was from the early days when I could still walk to the little metal box, feed it quarters and remove the paper for myself.

My grandparents made copies of the clippings too. Sometimes we got the original newsprint, other times we got the copy. Theyā€™re dead now, but I suppose someone could have taken the time to chase them down too.

I also buy books and then loan or give them away. Isnā€™t that also a form of theft? There it goes, only paid for once, but more than my eyes were laid upon it. Technically.

Eggbutt fixed the post though, I believe.

Thatā€™s not an issue with paywalls, thatā€™s an issue with your personal limit on subscriptions. That said, Iā€™m sympathetic. Our NY Times subscription alone ainā€™t cheap by a long shot, add in news magazines and Iā€™m convinced I could almost buy more horse related stuff with that $$! Iā€™d love to add the WSJ, but just canā€™t stomach the additional cost. That said, often news outlets will run stories by others so thereā€™s some cross-talk, but on this particular topic, as I mentioned elsewhere, there just isnā€™t the big national interest.

I like your idea of an option to get a daily edition, but I fear the overhead of administering that option would outweigh the benefit to the publisher.

2 Likes

Hey, let your conscience be your guide.

No, loaning books or passing them on is not theft. Perhaps you misread my response or simply read with the intent to reply.

2 Likes