New filing on ecourts re MB

[Boyd Martin](https://www.facebook.com/BoydMartinEventing?cft[0]=AZWPXwmpPLB9iGZy37luLen63C1CqFSz64GAm-q5xWOsc1W2ypqza8tC46MjXmCVNVu3U0OjKENSvIhXR_lLL–yYAthqfExO_kki7hI_LSL-Nb-glWbUoa0TNJU3HB-mPCwRf2B4t9nP9KYC-nKnMztPTkw83TluKWgo ·

Took Nox and his best bud Hunter to the [Philadelphia Flyers] game. They made me promise to rip my shirt off in celebration if they scored a goal in overtime. 5 second to go, the Flyers nailed it! Silva was sent this photo from one of her friends who couldn’t help but notice some rowdy fans…

Boyd has Tattoos!!!

19 Likes

If Barisone had told them or asked them to leave prior to the 5th, why did he say that they had been asked to leave that day, the fifth, at the police station?

If Barisone had told them or asked them to leave prior to the 5th, why did MHG send the text message around that time saying “we haven’t asked them yet”?

Barisone was in the midst of a mental breakdown and not acting rationally at that point. I think Tarshis stepped in with the eviction notification when it became clear Barisone was not acting rationally. Barisone’s plan of harassing them until they begged to leave was counterproductive.

2 Likes

Wrong.

16 Likes

Meaning she was recording… Who?
Recording them Doing what?
While at or on the way to/from Gladstone?
Yikes

7 Likes

Trying to defend the indefensible never works.

18 Likes

So, I can take a shot here - and without reading the policies in question, this is just a guess.

A “reservation of rights” basically means that the insurer is agreeing to provide a defense without agreeing that they actually have any responsibility to cover you or the event in question. If RC properly tendered a demand for defense and indemnity, she may have “triggered” coverage where Barisone himself did not do that properly. It’s really hard to tell without seeing the documents.

For example, in my state, an insured who is requesting coverage merely has to prove there is any possible potential that they could be covered, where in order to deny, the insurer has to prove the absence of any such possibility.

What usually happens in this situation is:

1. Once a claim exists (can be a criminal complaint, civil complaint, or simply an event eg police presence or notice from an attorney of intent to file) the first thing the lawyers will do is issue tenders (demands for defense and indemnity) to any parties with which they were contracted (often these are also codefendants) and any and all insurance carriers that may be in play - their own, that of codefendants, and anybody else including anyone downstream where any of the parties may have been a named insured.

2. Once those tenders have been sent to everybody under the sun, the insurers will respond back with either a letter of coverage, a reservation of rights, or a denial of coverage. These documents will contain the specific provisions in the policy that the insurer is alleging do or do not cover the situation. Under a reservation of rights, the insurer is basically saying “you might be covered, but we reserve the right to say that you’re not and recover from you in the future if we determine that you’re not.”

If I were a betting person I would bet this situation exists based on a technicality. I did some research and NJ is a “four corners” state which basically means the duty to defend is determined based on the allegations in the complaint at issue. At the time the tenders were issued, one party may not have had a criminal or civil complaint yet while the other party was already under arrest. The technicality may in fact be that the contract provisions held that the exclusion was for acts of an insured, which RC was not and therefore the policy actually does bind.

Insurance is a pain in the a** and is often counterintuitive. There are attorneys whose sole speciality is litigating insurance coverage on behalf of insureds.

37 Likes

Imagine the lunacy of having to evict a boarder and house guest. Although at court roommate evictions of a house guest who wouldn’t leave did happen a few times. Maybe 4. In all my years doing that.

Generally speaking, people go when asked to leave. They don’t Finish The Bastard.

19 Likes

Thank you! This sounds complicated. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

5 Likes

Thank you @lazaret for trying to make something very complicated so much easier for us to understand.

6 Likes

Per RG’s injury on the thread Barisone-New Thread, @Sdel, @rothmpp, @Ghazzu, and @EADoug all opined that RG’s hand with and without bandages looked like their broken hands and/or surgical bandaging.

How would MB’s face be so bruised and RG be unscathed except for a slide bite? How would a slide bite extend beyond the extension of the slide?

I’ve fired a few automatic handguns. Neither I nor my buds received slide bites. There were safety briefings involved. I’ve always preferred revolvers, easier to clean and, to me, easier to shoot. That is mainly because breaking down a 45 automatic to clean was a bear with the spring. If I didn’t cut my nails prior to cleaning, I usually broke one if I didn’t.

16 Likes

2 Likes

I think it’s really funny that a few posters are making some pretty ridiculous assertions, and really mind boggling that we are revisiting that old canard that LK wasn’t asked to leave prior to August 5th.

Anyone who has spent any significant time in the horse business at a certain level will know that:

1. Importing a horse takes time, even under the best of circumstances. It’s quicker if it is a healthy gelding, less so if it is a healthy mare. It’s not quick at all if there are any question at all to health. If you purchase, say, a young stallion but want to geld it before import, longer. If you want to collect then geld, even longer. I won’t even get into importing a stallion, because LK has no business riding one from what I can see. Anyways, I know people who have owned a horse for months prior to its successful arrival at their farm. And we have all seen the importation horror stories regarding delays and horses who never arrive because of issues.

2. As such, MB could have agreed to the horse coming prior and was no longer amenable by the time the horse was en route. When did he say yes? When did she purchase? When did it leave Europe? How long was it quarantined? We simply don’t know the timeline, and there are many variables.

3. Expanding on that, there is no way to know when LK floated the idea of importing another horse, unless I am forgetting. MB could possibly have even said yes when LK was just floating the idea - many, many months prior. It often takes time to find the right horse, even if you don’t fly over and try them. Maybe the broker (I forget her name) knew LK’s type and already had one that fit. I doubt it. He could have said yes before or at the start of her search, and who knows how long that search took.

4. I know of precisely zero barns that would not make you pay upfront for the month, even if you were unwanted. Until your horses are off the property, they need to be fed and cared for. Margins are thin, and nobody is going to foot the bill for housing one, much less 4-5, of them before you actually skedaddle.

5. The idea that SS would even raise an eyebrow about some supposed “power imbalance” between MB and MHG is utterly hilarious. These are two consenting adults who are both professional riders. Sure, the older male one has seen more success to date than the younger female one, but… so what? Hell, it seems like half the marriages in this business (at least the H/J world) are between trainers and their former students, working students, clients and assistant trainers. I am exaggerating, of course, but my point is that I could post a list a mile long of romantic couplings that are potentially eyebrow raising (to gossipmongers, not SS)… unlike this one, which is par for the course… and LITERALLY NOBODY CARES. Unless one of the two consenting adults complains, whose business is it anyways?

I am sure I am forgetting more things posted by a select few (or one?) that could be easily rebutted by anyone who has a modicum of knowledge of competition horses and what comes along with owning, boarding, riding or training them… but it’s been a long day.

Thanks for the laugh, though! These wild assertions really prove how little certain people know about this sport. Hilarious!!

40 Likes

@EADoug

@Ghazzu
Barisone- New Thread

@Sdel
Barisone- New Thread

@Sdel

@rothmpp

Just came here for this portion, so I snipped the rest. Neither you nor your buds revived slide bite. Alright. Cool story. I haven’t either, but other people have. It does happen.

I don’t know what a .45 has to go with anything here since one wasn’t used here and it isn’t the only caliber to choose from. I don’t find cleaning that much of a bear, but to each their own.

As for safety briefings. This is the US of A. Damn near anyone can get their hands on a gun, safety briefings be damned!

Anyho, if an injury looks like slide bite, it could’ve been slide bite. It also could’ve not been slide bite.

So you’re experience isn’t so relevant here, but a guess a somewhat relevant anecdote nonetheless? I dunno.

26 Likes

Didn’t LK testify that they beat him with phones? Phones could protect your hands.

Ultimately, who knows what else they beat him with. Hands are not your only weapons. Feet, knees, elbows… and that’s just your person. There were all kinds of other weapons around and since the cops didn’t collect the obvious forensics, do you really believe they checked every chair, stone, brick, or god knows what else was lying around that (if my memory serves) trashy looking yard? I doubt it.

The relevant point is his injuries aren’t consistent with someone who beat another person with his hands. They are more consistent with someone who fired a gun.

His injury isn’t consistent with using his fist as a weapon to beat someone. And that explanation for the injury doesn’t hold water.

25 Likes